Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stuck at intermediate level and not progressing

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

I am a 50 year old male who is stuck at an intermediate/blue run level. I was actually eight years old when I learned how to ski but I always had huge intervals where I didn't ski at all , like regular five to six years of inactivity. and when I do it's maybe four to 5 times a season.

It's also not helping that ski techniques and equipment has been changing constantly since the the late 70s.

So I can do blue and steep blacks as long as there are no bumps. Bumps totally throw me off, I also have a huge problem with short radius turns on narrow slopes.

I have taken multiple lessons and they have been "somewhat" useful by reinforcing the basics but I don't feel like they have a huge impact. A lot of the instructors at the resorts just keep doing the cookie cuter drills that I can also find on the internet. I don't feel like they actually understand my personal challenges which would make them come up with a more custom tailored plan, so it feels a bit like a money grab. Maybe I have not found the right instructor yet.

I know all the theories of how to keep the weight forward with shin pressure, putting pressure on the outside ski, lighten the inside ski, roll the ankles , how to pole plant and separate upper and lower body. When there is a groomed wide slope without bumps , I can to some effect bring it all together, but the second I hit anything un-groomed, icy , bumpy or narrow all the wheels come off. I started leaning back, shoulder moves with the turn, I lose some grip and you can imagine the rest.

I watch with awe how some people just so elegantly breeze down the slopes no matter what the condition of the slope is and I am so frustrated at the fact that the smallest obstacle throws me off my game.

Now at my age I don't know what I have to do to get to the level I want. Does skiing more actually help or would it be more detrimental in that it would engrain all the bad habits that I may have deeper into my muscle memory?

Would it help to go on a ski camp for adults with every day training? I really really want to get to the next level so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Leo
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think some sort of “ski camp” as you describe it would help enormously. We were lucky enough to do a 4 week course in Val d’isere in 2016 (we were aged 50 +) and the quality and continuity of tuition, with constant feedback including video analysis, improved our skiing no end. We did our course with ICE in Val. They do shorter week long courses too that dovetailed with the one we did. Also look at Warren Smith ski academy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It sounds to me like you are a actually a pretty good skier. You have a good grasp of what you should be doing and have taken instruction. It seems to me that the issue may be more one of confidence than technique. Anyone who can ski well on intermediate terrain has the core skills to ski more challenging terrain, so be positive you can get there!

Longer term a focussed ski camp with full time instruction amongst adults of similar standard is the best solution. If you do that, adjust your thinking from being on holiday to focussed training and you will do well.

Shorter term skiing more is always a good thing. Ski miles help confidence especially. So do as much as you can and enjoy it! First run every day no matter the slope or how you are feeling, lift your inside ski off the snow during the turn. Try and lift it earlier and earlier on the turn. Then try and lift it but keeping the tip on the snow. That will set you up in the right way. Go back to that drill when you are struggling.

One small thing. Think less about shin pressure and more about flexing the ankle.

Age is a factor for sure! I did my instructor exams at age 49 and it was much more challenging for me to progress to the right level than my younger colleagues. And a lot of physio and gym time to improve flexibility and mobility. And I have accepted there are limits, I will probably never be the skier I want to be! But with hard work and commitment you can and will make progress!

Good luck and keep us posted on how you get on!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Two things jump to mind:

First is that there is no substitute for focussed practice with effective feedback. The more time you spend doing it, the better you get. If you’re only spending a week or two on snow every year with a lesson or two in that time there is a limit as to how far you’re going to progress, especially as it’s not something that you can do year round.

The second point is that when learning a skill, once we’ve reached a basic level of competence, it’s rare to have a “breakthrough” moment, unless we are really pushing our boundaries by learning a completely new skill such as sending the park etc. This means that our progress is always going to feel incremental with an element of two steps forward one step back. In my experience this applies to just about every skill that I’ve learned over the years.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"4 to 5 times a season"

Do you mean days or weeks? If days and not every year, you're not getting enough practice to improve. If you drove a car that often would you expect to improve?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@leodevlin, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I’d echo zikomo’s points.

From personal experience, and as a relative latecomer to skiing, I well recall hitting that plateau. For me, the lightbulb moment came when I booked a week away, by myself, with Eurikaski (as was - New Gen now, I think) in Serre Chevalier.

2.5 hours, 5 days every morning, 1:1, with one John Angela (BASI 3), then practice every afternoon. Essentially, deconstructing all the bad habits and then, stage by stage re-building with various drills that I still use, 15+ years on, whenever things begin to feel slightly wrong. Or just for the fun of it, sometimes. The ‘re-invention’ of the basic skiing platform probably helped more than anything and, looking back, it was probably the best investment I made. I’d previously had numerous, mainly private, lessons which certainly helped but, it was the consistency and clarity from the course that brought everything together. That and an outstanding teacher Smile .

As also mentioned above, I too don’t now expect to become the skier I would like to have been (age and suppleness related) but I’m generally quietly happy with where I am and what I can do, plus having the ‘tools’ to deal with most conditions.

Oh, and just so no one feels it’s ever too late, my Mum learned to ski at 65! My Sister at 54!

Good luck!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Welcome to Snowheads, @leodevlin. Where are you based?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are two reasons for stalling. One is technique. The other is gear. Others have majored on technique, so I'll put a few words here on gear. I made very significant moves forward after getting alignment work done. That meant changes to my boots and bindings to make sure I could use my equipment properly. Essentially making sure that my equipment contributed to, rather than detracted from, my ability to maintain a balanced, athletic stance. Once I had got this sorted, I was able to better put instructional content into practice.

If you feel you actually physically can't do something rather than it's just frightening or hard, then that's a sign that it's a gear thing rather than a technique thing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There’s no magic trick. It’s almost entirely down to time and effort. Obviously there’s natural ability but in terms of what you can control it’s just time and effort
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@leodevlin, Hi there and welcome to snowHead

If you own your own skis - what are they?

If you hire - do you get Piste skis, with a waist of 70ish and a turn radius of around 14m?

Next time looking for a lesson, ask on here for a recommendation...as with multiple lessons, you should be getting off the Intermediate plateau.

Some of the key things that helped me were:

1. IME. The single most important drill, is the Stork Drill - where you choose a shallow traverse, lift the tail of the D/Hill ski prior to turning and hold it up all the way through the turn. As you are going slowly, it forces you to thrust forward and across to initiate the turn and balance against the Outside Ski. Once you feel comfortable doing this, build it into your skiing (without actually lifting the ski).

2. Patience during the turn - especially on less steep slopes. Hold onto the turn longer than you think, for control - Ride the curve and resist the temptation to twist your feet . Think linked S-Shapes, not Z-Shapes (caused by skidding).

3. The Javelin Drill - Initially needs to be supervised by an instructor to ensure it's done correctly.

4."Getting Forward" is unhelpful as it's far too vague and causes the tails of the skis to wash out at the end of the turn. Much more helpful is understanding how to remain in balance ie. At the start of the turn you do press forwards and across, but then the feet ride through leaving your weight under the arch of your foot. You ski from the feet up, so become aware of the sensations coming from the soles of your feet.

5. Don't think about bending your knees, but bending your ankles. You drive the ski through ankle flex, which provides the shin pressure.

6. A-Framing can screw up your skiing. The unweighted ski must change edges at the same time and by the same amount.

7. Correct arm carriage. Hands that are too low, too narrow and too close to your body will screw up your balance and stop you feeling comfortable at speed. Pole planting with a Cock of the Wrist, rather than moving your arms up and down, is also important. In bumps, swing the poles forward in good time, plant the pole and press the pole planting arm forward so it doesn't get left behind, twisting your shoulders uphill.

Your specific problems:

1. Bumps.

As well as Avalement, the single biggest thing that helped me (and I'm far from a good bump skier), is sliding feet forwards and backwards underneath you, to remain in balance as you go through the mogul run.

When you hit the back of the bump, there is a breaking effect which can cause you to double over at the waist. If you slide your feet forward as you hit the back of the bump, it will offset the breaking effect.

When you come down the other side, you have the opposite problem, as your skis can run away with you, throwing you into the back seat. If you suck your feet back at this point and think of pressing the tips down into the hollow, you will remain in balance and control....and try to finish your turns, so as not to build up speed. The overall feeling as you go through the run, is like pedalling backwards (with both feet on one pedal). It is a lot easier said than done.

2. Short Turns on narrow slopes

There are 3 ways of doing Short Turns, all of which require you to remain facing downhill - and which one you use, depends on what skis you are on, what the snow is like, how steep the slope is and how fast you want to go. All should be practiced on a smooth Piste, starting off on easy runs, then upping the ante. When you are comfortable doing this, the technique is more likely to hold out when it gets narrow and intimidating.

a) Twisting the skis ie Foot Steer/Short Swing

This gives the most control and is generally how you turn in Moguls. The skis are twisted by the feet, followed by an edge check - and due to the springboard effect of the camber of the skis, springs you into the next turn, provided your upper body remains facing down the hill. It's a bit like linked hockey stops, with a solid Pole Plant for timing and balance. The hips hover in the middle as the skis turn underneath. A Pole Plant is very important with this type of short turn.

b) Pressing on the skis

This is the next fastest way of turning. Pressing on the middle of the ski causes it to turn. You are not carving as the grip of the edges is slightly broken, but you are using the shape of the ski to turn - so not foot twisting. The speed of the press, while facing downhill, will determine the quickness of the short turns. It feels a bit like like riding a bicycle, where you press down on one pedal and then the other.

c) Carving the skis

This is the fastest and most technically difficult way of doing short turns - and really needs a Piste ski with a suitably short radius. It requires the skis to be tipped on edge, with no skidding (and no added pressure), as you ride the edge with the bending of the ski. When the skis are well away from the body, the tips need to bite to bring them back underneath you and out to the other side. There is no skidding to slow you down, so control is through holding onto the turn longer. You need both skis working together, changing edges at the same time and by the same amount. A-Framing is likely to make this much more difficult. On this turn, there should be little or no Up and Down movement ie. Imagine skiing under a very low ceiling. Sucking the feet back at the start of the turn, gets the tips to bite, which pulls you into the carve.

With all the above methods, getting into a rhythm is absolutely key to success. Once that rhythm is found, it just all seems to slot into place.

In conclusion: You cannot learn/improve from the ramblings of a random on a forum - and it isn't my intention that you should do so. The reason I have thrown out these thoughts and ideas, is it might give you food for thought and something to discuss and try with any future Instructor you might have in the future.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 15-02-22 17:08; edited 19 times in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
leodevlin wrote:
I have taken multiple lessons and they have been "somewhat" useful by reinforcing the basics but I don't feel like they have a huge impact.

Private or group? Where? Which company/instructor?

Instinctively this seems off. I have only done one private (for 1 hour - ESF) and it made a big impact at the time (looong time ago).

Standard group lessons IMO would be less helpful and might explain it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Welcome to snowheads @leodevlin,
Quote:

I watch with awe how some people just so elegantly breeze down the slopes no matter what the condition of the slope is and I am so frustrated at the fact that the smallest obstacle throws me off my game.

They appear to be elegantly breezing, in fact they will constantly be reacting to all of the smallest obstacles that throw you off your game. Like a swan gliding on the surface but paddling like mad under the water. They're probably just quicker at it, or reacting in a more effective way. They are quite possibly also having the same internal dialogue as you, thinking, ah that bumps caught me off balance oops I was a bit inside there and so on. What they probably aren't doing is getting so frustrated with it. Others above have talked about equipment and technique etc. but also find someone who can help you change your mindset (if that above truly reflects where you are). Enjoy the good stuff and build on it, when things go wrong it's a positive opportunity to learn from, not something to beat yourself up about. S**t happens when we ski, all the time, to everyone, what matters is when it goes well.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
leodevlin wrote:
... Now at my age I don't know what I have to do to get to the level I want. Does skiing more actually help or would it be more detrimental in that it would engrain all the bad habits that I may have deeper into my muscle memory?..
If you've been "learning" for that long, then something's not right.

When I started to learn to ski there were 20 of us on a course at our local plastic hill. By the end of the course 19 of them were joyfully straight lining the slope and snowploughing to a halt at the bottom. That wasn't what I had signed up for: I wanted to be a skier, not a beginner! They were feeling the rush of the speed, whilst I was still grinding to perfect boring old turns. After a while I became a skier; those guys probably had a few happy ski holidays and moved on to something else. I assumed they didn't want what I wanted.

I'm having similar "learning" challenges with surfing, which I took up recently. It's frustrating and hard. I can see why most people would chose not to beat themselves up day after day, when there's so much other fun to be had on the beach. Sports like these take some investment to master. Most people don't care that much.

To me, it's got to be fun investing the time to learn. Hence I think people should forget about "blacks" or even "bumps", or advanced gear and all that stuff. Ride the skis which you find easiest to ride, because then you'll ride more. Ride the slopes you feel good about, the ones you rip on, so you ride them more and get even better. Eventually you'll seek out "more challenging" stuff, but that's an effect of being good, not a cause of it.

Personally I'm not much of an "instruction" person, it's not how I learn.
I'd think about something which you did successfully learn and try to figure out why that worked, and see where that leads.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@philwig, triggered another thought in my mind:
Quote:
I always had huge intervals where I didn't ski at all , like regular five to six years of inactivity. and when I do it's maybe four to 5 times a season.

Why is that?

Most skiers never miss a season once bitten by the bug.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Perty wrote:
I think some sort of “ski camp” as you describe it would help enormously. We were lucky enough to do a 4 week course in Val d’isere in 2016 (we were aged 50 +) and the quality and continuity of tuition, with constant feedback including video analysis, improved our skiing no end. We did our course with ICE in Val. They do shorter week long courses too that dovetailed with the one we did. Also look at Warren Smith ski academy.

Wow a 4 week course would be nice indeed Smile. Not sure I can do more than one but will probably give it a go.
snow report
zikomo wrote:
It sounds to me like you are a actually a pretty good skier. You have a good grasp of what you should be doing and have taken instruction. It seems to me that the issue may be more one of confidence than technique. Anyone who can ski well on intermediate terrain has the core skills to ski more challenging terrain, so be positive you can get there!

Longer term a focussed ski camp with full time instruction amongst adults of similar standard is the best solution. If you do that, adjust your thinking from being on holiday to focussed training and you will do well.

Shorter term skiing more is always a good thing. Ski miles help confidence especially. So do as much as you can and enjoy it! First run every day no matter the slope or how you are feeling, lift your inside ski off the snow during the turn. Try and lift it earlier and earlier on the turn. Then try and lift it but keeping the tip on the snow. That will set you up in the right way. Go back to that drill when you are struggling.

One small thing. Think less about shin pressure and more about flexing the ankle.

Age is a factor for sure! I did my instructor exams at age 49 and it was much more challenging for me to progress to the right level than my younger colleagues. And a lot of physio and gym time to improve flexibility and mobility. And I have accepted there are limits, I will probably never be the skier I want to be! But with hard work and commitment you can and will make progress!

Good luck and keep us posted on how you get on!

Thanks for your input, I do feel like I am an OK skier as long as I don't hit the bumps and narrow slopes Smile. I definitely don't expect to become a star, I just want to feel the confident and safe and have a reasonably decent style, I guess as you and others have said , I just need to invenst more time and effort.
snow conditions
Kramer wrote:
Two things jump to mind:

First is that there is no substitute for focussed practice with effective feedback. The more time you spend doing it, the better you get. If you’re only spending a week or two on snow every year with a lesson or two in that time there is a limit as to how far you’re going to progress, especially as it’s not something that you can do year round.

The second point is that when learning a skill, once we’ve reached a basic level of competence, it’s rare to have a “breakthrough” moment, unless we are really pushing our boundaries by learning a completely new skill such as sending the park etc. This means that our progress is always going to feel incremental with an element of two steps forward one step back. In my experience this applies to just about every skill that I’ve learned over the years.

I understand what you are saying about pushing boundaries, I just don't know how to push those boundaries without risking injury. The last thing I want is to break something and to be out for a long time. If I was 20, np , but at this age it's a bit trickier.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Welcome to Snowheads, @leodevlin. Where are you based?

Thank you. I am in Vancouver.
ski holidays
leodevlin wrote:
Kramer wrote:
Two things jump to mind:

I understand what you are saying about pushing boundaries, I just don't know how to push those boundaries without risking injury. The last thing I want is to break something and to be out for a long time. If I was 20, np , but at this age it's a bit trickier.

As a dodgy intermediate, the thing that pushed me beyond careful picking my way down was a series of lessons in whistler - the max 4 for 3 days - where the focus was on fun and doing slightly daft things as well as technique. We learned how to ski moguls, we did some super easy in bounds off piste, and just got used to different obstacles and conditions. Whilst I'm still super careful, that gave me the confidence to enjoy it more than worry about if I'm doing it perfectly, and in turn that means more learning because some things suddenly feel a bit easier. Might be worth a few lessons which make it really fun, worth a try!
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
@leodevlin, Hi there and welcome to snowHead

If you own your own skis - what are they?

If you hire - do you get Piste skis, with a waist of 70ish and a turn radius of around 14m?

Next time looking for a lesson, ask on here for a recommendation...as with multiple lessons, you should be getting off the Intermediate plateau.

Some of the key things that helped me were:

1. IME. The single most important drill, is the Stork Drill - where you choose a shallow traverse, lift the tail of the D/Hill ski prior to turning and hold it up all the way through the turn. As you are going slowly, it forces you to thrust forward and across to initiate the turn and balance against the Outside Ski. Once you feel comfortable doing this, build it into your skiing (without actually lifting the ski).

2. Patience during the turn - especially on less steep slopes. Hold onto the turn longer than you think, for control - Ride the curve and resist the temptation to twist your feet . Think linked S-Shapes, not Z-Shapes (caused by skidding).

3. The Javelin Drill - Initially needs to be supervised by an instructor to ensure it's done correctly.

4."Getting Forward" is unhelpful as it's far too vague and causes the tails of the skis to wash out at the end of the turn. Much more helpful is understanding how to remain in balance ie. At the start of the turn you do press forwards and across, but then the feet ride through leaving your weight under the arch of your foot. You ski from the feet up, so become aware of the sensations coming from the soles of your feet.

5. Don't think about bending your knees, but bending your ankles. You drive the ski through ankle flex, which provides the shin pressure.

6. A-Framing can screw up your skiing. The unweighted ski must change edges at the same time and by the same amount.

7. Correct arm carriage. Hands that are too low, too narrow and too close to your body will screw up your balance and stop you feeling comfortable at speed. Pole planting with a Cock of the Wrist, rather than moving your arms up and down, is also important. In bumps, swing the poles forward in good time, plant the pole and press the pole planting arm forward so it doesn't get left behind, twisting your shoulders uphill.

Your specific problems:

1. Bumps.

As well as Avalement, the single biggest thing that helped me (and I'm far from a good bump skier), is sliding feet forwards and backwards underneath you, to remain in balance as you go through the mogul run.

When you hit the back of the bump, there is a breaking effect which can cause you to double over at the waist. If you slide your feet forward as you hit the back of the bump, it will offset the breaking effect.

When you come down the other side, you have the opposite problem, as your skis can run away with you, throwing you into the back seat. If you suck your feet back at this point and think of pressing the tips down into the hollow, you will remain in balance and control....and try to finish your turns, so as not to build up speed. The overall feeling as you go through the run, is like pedalling backwards (with both feet on one pedal). It is a lot easier said than done.

2. Short Turns on narrow slopes

There are 3 ways of doing Short Turns, all of which require you to remain facing downhill - and which one you use, depends on what skis you are on, what the snow is like, how steep the slope is and how fast you want to go. All should be practiced on a smooth Piste, starting off on easy runs, then upping the ante. When you are comfortable doing this, the technique is more likely to hold out when it gets narrow and intimidating.

a) Twisting the skis ie Foot Steer/Short Swing

This gives the most control and is generally how you turn in Moguls. The skis are twisted by the feet, followed by an edge check - and due to the springboard effect of the camber of the skis, springs you into the next turn, provided your upper body remains facing down the hill. It's a bit like linked hockey stops, with a solid Pole Plant for timing and balance. The hips hover in the middle as the skis turn underneath. A Pole Plant is very important with this type of short turn.

b) Pressing on the skis

This is the next fastest way of turning. Pressing on the middle of the ski causes it to turn. You are not carving as the grip of the edges is slightly broken, but you are using the shape of the ski to turn - so not foot twisting. The speed of the press, while facing downhill, will determine the quickness of the short turns. It feels a bit like like riding a bicycle, where you press down on one pedal and then the other.

c) Carving the skis

This is the fastest and most technically difficult way of doing short turns - and really needs a Piste ski with a suitably short radius. It requires the skis to be tipped on edge, with no skidding (and no added pressure), as you ride the edge with the bending of the ski. When the skis are well away from the body, the tips need to bite to bring them back underneath you and out to the other side. There is no skidding to slow you down, so control is through holding onto the turn longer. You need both skis working together, changing edges at the same time and by the same amount. A-Framing is likely to make this much more difficult. On this turn, there should be little or no Up and Down movement ie. Imagine skiing under a very low ceiling. Sucking the feet back at the start of the turn, gets the tips to bite, which pulls you into the carve.

With all the above methods, getting into a rhythm is absolutely key to success. Once that rhythm is found, it just all seems to slot into place.

In conclusion: You cannot learn/improve from the ramblings of a random on a forum - and it isn't my intention that you should do so. The reason I have thrown out these thoughts and ideas, is it might give you food for thought and something to discuss and try with any future Instructor you might have in the future.

Thank you for the elaborate response.

I have my own skis, it's a Atomic brand.

A lot of the things you mentioned are very valuable and I am ware of those but the problem is that I have a hard time putting it all together when I hit difficult conditions. It just seems that there is so much to think about and I am always overthinking.
snow conditions
leodevlin wrote:

I have my own skis, it's a Atomic brand.

Do you know which model - and how long are they?
ski holidays
Quote:

I am always overthinking

Be the ski
Be at one with the mountain

#ZenSkiing
latest report
As the OP is based in Vancouver, not much point referring him to potential coaching in the Alps.
latest report
Layne wrote:
Quote:
I always had huge intervals where I didn't ski at all , like regular five to six years of inactivity. and when I do it's maybe four to 5 times a season.

Why is that?

It's when life happens Smile. College, moving to different countries, marriage , kids and skiing is an expensive sport.
snow report
Layne wrote:
leodevlin wrote:
I have taken multiple lessons and they have been "somewhat" useful by reinforcing the basics but I don't feel like they have a huge impact.

Private or group? Where? Which company/instructor?

Instinctively this seems off. I have only done one private (for 1 hour - ESF) and it made a big impact at the time (looong time ago).

Standard group lessons IMO would be less helpful and might explain it.

I have taken three private lessons and as I state some of it helped correcting some posture problems and making me aware of the fundamentals.
snow report
@leodevlin, we Snowheads do track over to North America from time to time, but day to day we are a pretty Alps centric bunch.
Lots of good advice being dispensed by people here who know what they are on about.

I am merely an amateur who knows what tuition and tips worked for me or gave me an "Aha!" moment.
here are a couple.
1. Balance-feel the ski under all of the sole of your foot-that's a means of knowing your whole bodyweight is stacked and then you adjust movement around it. (That was day one of the Ice course).
2. "Big toe, little toe"-in bumpy uneven snow (getting mogully but not a full blown mogul field), think about starting a turn by rolling your big toe of one foot, and little toe of the other. It magically brings the skis round with far less effort.
3. A recent tip on SH's via a well known extreme skier's youtube post (Might have been Cody Townsend?)-on steep slopes angle your shoulders in line with the slope. I think I'm quite a good skier, but I started consciously pushing my outside shoulder down as I round a turn on any pitch (almost like the downward movement of rolling my shoulder) and realised immediately it made a difference-I tried it on a very gentle slope without any other movements to initiate a turn and that subtle downward pressure created the turn without anything more. I don't think i had realised before then that my poor posture and hunched up shoulders had impeded my overall attempts at separation.
snow report
Thanks for the tips.

I had no idea this is an Alp centric forum. Is there another ski forum which is more geared towards north american skiers? Not that it really matters unless the topic is skiing in rain which is what we have to do Smile.

Your point about shoulders, maybe I am misunderstanding but I thought you need to keep the shoulder as steady as possible, am I missing something?
snow report
leodevlin wrote:

Your point about shoulders, maybe I am misunderstanding but I thought you need to keep the shoulder as steady as possible, am I missing something?

@4.11 minutes in:

http://youtube.com/v/fGEWnJU9aCw
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
leodevlin wrote:

I had no idea this is an Alp centric forum.

It is but it's not exclusive. Skiing is skiing wherever you do it.

leodevlin wrote:
Is there another ski forum which is more geared towards north american skiers?

There is but I wouldn't recommend it Toofy Grin

If you're only managing 4-5 days skiing a year, then you're going to find it difficult to dial in the movements needed to improve. Maybe look at it from the other angle and from the amount you're able to do, you're doing pretty good. Except it and enjoy the experience.
snow report
leodevlin wrote:
Layne wrote:
Quote:

Why is that?

It's when life happens Smile. College, moving to different countries, marriage , kids and skiing is an expensive sport.

Does this mean that those 4-5 times a season does mean 4-5 days a season then?

If so, with the greatest will in the world, that's not enough to get good at anything (like @philwig above, I have the same problem with surfing, though for me beatering in the surf is still always fun!).

If you're in Vancouver buy a season pass for one of your local mountains and ski every weekend for the rest of the season, with as many half day private lessons as you can afford.

Invest time during the week in mobility and flexibility training too (doesn't have to be yoga, but that would be beneficial for pretty much everyone).

Should see some drastic improvements Smile
snow report
There's something about skiing which gives some people unrealistic expectations of rapid and continuous improvement despite spending just a few days a year at it, now and then. I learnt to swim when I was about 10, loved it, went swimming with my mates a lot, have lived in tropical places and in the sea a lot, even had a private pool at one point and did 20 minutes every day after work.

I am a crap swimmer. I have had some lessons as an adult (a couple of privates, a couple of group things in the local pool. I'm fairly safe in the water, aware of tides and currents, still enjoy it if the water is not too cold, and am still a crap swimmer.

Perhaps it's the very steep learning curve at the beginning which fools us, with skiing. At the start of a week we can scarcely move and sliding is terrifying. At the end of the week we can swish down nice gentle blue slopes whistling a merry tune. We expect the curve to continue on the same trajectory. But for nearly all of us, it doesn't. Someone learning as a no-longer-young adult can expect to have to put in many weeks of solid (and expensive) learning and practising to continue to improve at all.
ski holidays
@leodevlin, skitalk.com is primarily north American. Is partly people who used to post at EpicSki before that got shut down. More of a focus on ski instruction. There are also the forums run by Teton Gravity, which cater to a different crowd. TGR can be an abrasive experience but the depth of knowledge in some areas is enormous.
latest report
adithorp wrote:
Skiing is skiing wherever you do it.

Unless it's on water, in which case it's perverted.
snow report
leodevlin wrote:

A lot of the things you mentioned are very valuable and I am ware of those but the problem is that I have a hard time putting it all together when I hit difficult conditions. It just seems that there is so much to think about and I am always overthinking.

If you want to distil my long post into what might help the most, these 2 Drills if done correctly, will improve your skiing and greatly help to bring you up a level. Once you have warmed up, spending some time on them every time you go out to ski, will help ingrain them.

Stork Turns

http://youtube.com/v/RSfK6s74mjk

Javelin Turn

I think it's better to have the tail of the lifted ski higher than the tip

http://youtube.com/v/tlf52ScupXk

For Short Turns (@40 secs)

http://youtube.com/v/TqEbiqIO4fw

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 17-02-22 12:33; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, in fairness at 4-5 days every few years, no drills are going to help anyone ...
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, in fairness at 4-5 days every few years, no drills are going to help anyone ...

+1
Needs a season.
snow report
under a new name wrote:

I now ski 6 days a year (years ago I might have got double that) and good instruction with certain targeted drills, have greatly helped.

IMV. People who ski one week per year can certainly get themselves to a decent advanced level, with good Instruction and targeted Drills. If this wasn't the case, Instructors would have no business from 1 week/yr skiers.

I am not talking about becoming an expert fall line Mogul skier, or a Freeride God....but getting proficient at the basics, to the point where you can lift yourself out of being a interminable Intermediate.
ski holidays
AL9000 wrote:
under a new name wrote:

+1
Needs a season.

Agree and disagree. Toofy Grin

First of all there needs to be a strong desire to improve, do what it takes to learn and work on that. If you combine this with doing a season, that would be ideal.

If you do not have a strong wish to improve and are happy with your level - being there for a season will help, but may not necessarily make a dramatic difference. In fact somebody who does an intensive clinic with the likes of Phil Smith or Warren Smith will probably improve more.
snow report
@Old Fartbag, hmmm,

1. would you expect to play decent tennis from zero with every 3rd saturday playing, and not every year?

2. on 6 consecutive days a year, I reckon most folks take a couple of days to get back to where they were at the end of the previous year's week.
latest report
Lots of seasonaires ski fairly atrociously.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy