Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal Ski Carriage Limits

Poster: A snowHead
I've booked ski carriage into my Crystal holiday, but just spotted in the small print that the bag is only allowed to contain one set of skis (https://www.crystalski.co.uk/our-policies/terms-and-conditions/transport-information/).

Does anyone have any recent experience with Crystal/TUI ski carriage - how strict are they in checking for a second set?

Cheers, Rob.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Recently flew from Manchester, all that was checked was the weight (23kg). Some of our party had all kinds of stuff (including extra skis) rammed inside.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Crystal has never open and checked any of our ski/board carriages.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 14-02-22 11:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have occasionally put 2 sets of skis in one bag when flying with Crystal and never had a problem...and keep to the allowed weight.

Just be warned, that if anything happens you may only be covered for 1 set.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 14-02-22 12:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I always put a board and skis in my board bag, never been queried.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Flew with TUI 3 weeks ago. Sports Equipment-20kg. Put what you like in there. We had 2 pairs plus all manner of stuff. FYI, skis are approx 7kg per pair as a rough guide.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We've never just had one pair of skis in our bag, usually 2 and occasionally 3 (but that did mean taking the bindings off). We've flown with Tui from Manchester many times and nobody has ever looked in the bag. Neither have Jet2, BA, Austrian or Air Dolomiti.

As mentioned above I think it's a way for the airline to limit their liability if they lose your bag but that's what insurance is for...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As above, flown with all the main TOs over the last 45 years or so, most recently Crystal (out of dublin) two snowboards, boots, bindings spare gloves spare jacket and 'pants', helmet, goggles, spares, tools, boot dryers, etc weight on the way 19kg and on the way back 22kg. No issues at either end.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I believe the one pair rule is purely down to the fact that if they loose your skis, they’ll only pay for the hire of one pair (unless a double ski bag has been paid for - not sure that’s even an option these days though). We used to take two pairs but remove bindings to help the person lugging the bag. These days we take it on the chin & have one each & ram it full with other bits. Oh for the days of £15 ski carriage.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Two pairs of skis and ancillary kit - no problem with any airline in recent times.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all. We normally take the skis with BA who charge by the bag, so we've never even thought about it. The website goes on about increased fuel costs and people taking the p%ss, but it's a 9-year-old policy which it sounds like they don't bother enforcing any more.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The check in lady at Glasgow for tui / Crystal to salzburg did ask if our bag contained one or 2 pairs of skis, (paid for 1 carriage) but I told her 2 ,fully expecting some charge, but she just noted it down and said no more.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Only issue is as said if your skis don't arrive TO will only pay for hire of one set if that's what you booked for carriage.
Have personal experience of this rolling eyes
Skis have only went awol one time in all our trips but they didn't catch up with us tell the Wednesday night.
I have been on a few other flights where some skis were not loaded but we were lucky.
Have switch to hire skis now as I cannot be bothered lugging them around airports anymore.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had two sets of skis and my boots. I think it came in at 23kg. Caused a bit of agro at Bristol airport. As my luggage was light I argued the toss that both were under the limit when combined. Managed to get away with it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Has anyone had any issues with taking a larger wheelie ski bag and a suitcase? Crystal state:

‘You can use one of the larger wheelie bags by paying the £50 return carriage charge, with a checked baggage allowance of 23kg total. If you choose this option, no other hold baggage is allowed.’

We have a Thule Roundtrip which I usually put 2 pairs of skis, my boots and some other bits and bobs, plus we each have a suitcase and a boot bag (always come in under weight limit). We’ve never had an issue before but have always travelled with Neilson, this is the first Crystal trip.
ski holidays
As of last week I flew with Tui via Crystal Skis from LGW to GVA with one ski carriage paid for. I managed to check in a sportube with two pairs of skis and poles (around 20kg). The people at the check-in desks didn't have any issues on either leg of the journey.
snow conditions
Flew in from Innsbruck YESTERDAY with 3 sets of skis 3 pairs of poles in 1 bag. I saw 18.5kg on the scales.

No questions asked
snow report
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:
Flew in from Innsbruck YESTERDAY with 3 sets of skis 3 pairs of poles in 1 bag. I saw 18.5kg on the scales.

No questions asked

Some light touring or XC skis Very Happy ?
snow conditions
Crystal reduced the weight allowance for ski carriage a couple of years ago I think. It's now 15kg but they still pool weight allowance, so if you pay for carriage then you get Hold + carriage = 20kg + 15 kg per person.

It doesn't matter how much I try I just can't get all my gear for both boarding and skiing under 35kgs so have to pay for an extra carriage now. Sad
ski holidays
Did you have your boots separate? Or do we have to put boots in The hold
snow conditions
carla4221 wrote:
Did you have your boots separate? Or do we have to put boots in The hold

Boots have to be taken as part of your 20 kg hold allowance, either in your main bag or as a separate boot bag.
latest report
From the website:

Ski and snowboard carriage

You can buy ski and snowboard carriage on the Flight Extras website. It's sold per set of skis or snowboard (not per bag) – one set of skis or one snowboard in one bag costs £50 and the maximum weight is 15kg. To take two sets of skis or two snowboards in one bag, you must buy two lots of ski or snowboard carriage at £50 each and the total maximum weight is 23kg.

You can also pack clothes in the bag, as long as it doesn't go over the weight limit.

Ski/snowboard boots aren’t included in ski or snowboard carriage – these are part of your normal baggage allowance and must be checked into the hold.

Please note, you can’t bring your skis or snowboard instead of your checked baggage – you must book separate ski or snowboard carriage, even if you’re not bringing any checked baggage.

You can use one of the larger wheelie bags by paying the £50 ski or snowboard carriage charge, with a checked baggage allowance of 23kg total. If you choose this option, you can't take any other checked baggage.

Why book ski or snowboard carriage before you travel:

It's cheaper than paying at the airport (£60 per set of skis/board at the airport).
We guarantee to transport your equipment to your accommodation in resort.
If your equipment doesn't arrive on your flight, we'll arrange intermediate ski or board equipment hire for free until yours gets there.
snow report
Just a quick update from my original post. Since 2022 we've taken our skis with a couple of different carriers using just one bag. None of them asked or checked. I've recently booked a trip with Inghams/Ski Beat and I'll be doing the the same.

From what I can tell, the worst that can happen is they'd make me buy carriage at the airport at a slightly higher cost than pre-booking, so worth the risk.

On a slightly different topic, we had our boot bag stolen out of the transfer coach on the way back to Innsbruck. They took around £1000 worth of kit, which I managed to reclaim about 60% back from insurance. I'm confident that it was one of the large parties on the coach with us, given where we pulled up and other factors. Just a word of warning that you can try and prevent theft all you want, but the little $hits will still get you!
latest report
ratkinsonuk wrote:
Just a quick update from my original post. Since 2022 we've taken our skis with a couple of different carriers using just one bag. None of them asked or checked. I've recently booked a trip with Inghams/Ski Beat and I'll be doing the the same.

From what I can tell, the worst that can happen is they'd make me buy carriage at the airport at a slightly higher cost than pre-booking, so worth the risk.

On a slightly different topic, we had our boot bag stolen out of the transfer coach on the way back to Innsbruck. They took around £1000 worth of kit, which I managed to reclaim about 60% back from insurance. I'm confident that it was one of the large parties on the coach with us, given where we pulled up and other factors. Just a word of warning that you can try and prevent theft all you want, but the little $hits will still get you!

Which is why I always get off when the coach stops to see what's being unloaded.
snow conditions
I always put my ski boots in the hold bag.
snow report
We got on and headed towards the back, so one of the last off. The bag had gone by then. Lesson learned.....

We've been looking at the GPS trackers you can put in your luggage, about £50 each and no subscription required. But where does it end.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy