Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time buying touring skis :)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys.

I've been trying to read up as much as possible on different skis but still get a bit overwhelmed with the amount of choice!
I went on a touring trip to Bulgaria a few weeks ago and just loved it, so deciding to get my own set up.

I'm from a mountaineering background, and am pretty decent on the pistes, but have only done the one week of touring. I'm 186cm tall and 75kgs (plus a rucksack). I think I tend to ski carefully with short turns on steep (to me) stuff, but enjoy cruising faster when it opens up.
I'll probably be doing most of my touring in Scotland but will have a few weeks in the Alps. In fact I am going shortly and trying to get a set up sorted!

Ideally I could also use my ski for some days resort skiing with the family.

My boots are Scott Cosmos III. Already sorted with some Fritschi Tecton bindings, but am undecided between 3 skis:
- Scott Superguide 95 (the lightest, and as I understand pretty stiff and demanding?)
- Salomon MTN Explore 95 (Midweight, 'possible the friendliest' ski?)
- Dynastar Cham 97 (Heavier end, more a freeride ski I think, but would enjoy DH... possibly a bit softer)

These are as I understand them so far, any top picks from these or other recommendations?)

Many thanks
Jon
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
With touring kit, there are always compromises, so you need to take a view on what to compromise on.

From what you've said, I think the key question is how much you want to push the downhill performance. I'd rule out the Cham 97's - it doesn't seem like downhill is your main focus, and I think they are more oriented towards faster, wider turns (fwiw my preference is shorter turns, I skied the Cham 97s for a day, and didn't like them that much, though I was also on different boots and bindings). Between the other 2, I don't know the skis, but I'd say the key adjectives are 'demanding' v. 'friendly'. To me, stiffness is not a useful measure - for a start you've different axes of rotation, then it depends on the snow you're skiing on, and can also adjust this based on the ski size
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Loads of threads about this if you do a search.
Personally I think 95mm is too wide for a one quiver touring ski but many will differ.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I sell loads of Scott Superguide 95's and they're excellent, not only in all round performance/durability but they're also excellent value for money, especially when paired with their precut factory skins. And they are not demanding. They are reasonably stiff underfoot but they have a nice progressive flex moving out to the tips'n'tails. You want the 184cm length as they ski short due to their 320mm of low profile tip rocker.

The Chams were discontinued years ago and have been superceded by the Mythics and then the Verticals/M-Tour. The Cham was also heavy. They did do a Cham HM (High Mountain) which was lighter but both models suffered from too much rocker in terms of length and height.

Most manufacturers make a 95mm'ish underfoot ski with rockered tip/bit of camber underfoot /flat('ish) tail but unless you have a chance to test you're gonna have to buy blind. With your boots and the Tectons you'll have no trouble driving any of the skis.

Whatever your choice you'll need to get a wiggle one as we're now in the prime buying period for touring kit and it's selling fast. All the manufacturers were cagey with their production due to covid/supply chain issues so only made to dealer orders with few if any run-ons. And dealers were conservative in their ordering as we had to commit last Feb during a dire year when cash flow was really being pushed. So basically there's not much kit out there.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whatever you get, make sure it has tip rocker - essential for Scottish skiing I reckon, as it makes skiing over lightly-covered heather much more feasible.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@JonLongshanks, Scott seem to make some excellent value touring skis. A mate raves about his Scott Superguide 95’s, @Weathercam loves his Freetour 105’s and @Spyderjon sorted out my missus with some Speedguide 80’s which she’s a big fan of. If you’re buying Scotts get a quote from @Spyderjon - his pricing is good and his service is 2nd to none!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have the Atomic backland 96 and find them great for Scotland and serious off piste in the alps. They do suffer on really deep days though but this might have something to do with my weight. Due to binding issues, I hired the Elan Ripstick tour 88 and also found these to be good as well.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the replies, some great insights. Not considered skiing over heathery bits so that's a great bit of advice too.

I came across a pair of second hand Superguide 105, the 2018 version, 175cm long. Which are wider than what I was looking for but might do me at least for this season. Being the older iteration does anyone know if I'm likely to get on with them as a not-entirely-competent skier?

@spyderjon as recommended above could you PM me a quote for a pair of SG 95s in the 184, if you have any? Thank you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Deleted

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 17-02-22 6:35; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JonLongshanks, I've PM'd you.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BobinCH wrote:
@JonLongshanks, Scott seem to make some excellent value touring skis. A mate raves about his Scott Superguide 95’s, @Weathercam loves his Freetour 105’s and @Spyderjon sorted out my missus with some Speedguide 80’s which she’s a big fan of. If you’re buying Scotts get a quote from @Spyderjon - his pricing is good and his service is 2nd to none!

+1
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy