Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for easy tours in Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As the title suggests looking for easy ski tours (preferably with guidebooks) in Western Italy as looking to book a last minute trip - currently eyeing up either Courmayeur area or Sestriere/Sauze d'Oulx/Mongenevre but never been to either ski area before.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've spent a few winter months in Aosta over the past few years and I use Gulliver.it. https://www.gulliver.it/valle-daosta/sci-alpinismo/
Each route has a description, route info and the locals write up good trip reports with info on snow conditions on the day. So you can choose a route based on current conditions.
Snow cover isn't great currently but still managed to do a few of the classics with snow back to the car on most north/east routes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't help with route suggestions, but I am currently trying to get together a group as an alternative to the GUFF to split the costs of a guide for introductory/easy touring around/reachable from serre chevalier/oulx area from 19th-26th March
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@fifiskis, any you would particularly recommend? I will be going out there mid March and would like to do more from the Aosta valley.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Currently there is a lot less snow than usual. However the tracks are still complete from parking on several routes starting around 1750-1800m on North/East aspect routes. High winds mean hard pack up to for most. However we have found some nice snow on Col Serena ( park at Crevacol) and Mont Teilleur/Drone Valley ( park at Old Super Saint Bernard - on Swiss side of tunnel). Arp Vielle from Bonne and Flassin are also good but not sure of snow as I’ve not been up for a week or two. I tend to look at Gulliver the night before and decide on tours from reading the trip reports from that day or day before to get an idea of current conditions. @22 dropout,
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I can give you a bit of an update for around Montgenevre (well the Claree Valley just below it) I live near Briancon and have been out touring most weeks. Currently we are having one of the worst seasons on record in terms of snow fall. It is possible to get out ski touring with some good skiing but you have to work hard to make the most of it.

We have had little to no snow for months and mainly just hot sunny weather. Currently many South/ South west slopes have been hammered by the sun and have have gone back to grass in places. south/south east and east slopes are doing better and currently there is some very nice spring skiing to be found here, but Its not very deep and you have to pick your line. North and North west have been battered by the wind and is wind scoured and icy near the tops, you can find some nice section of soft snow in gully and places out the wind.

I do a free online guidebook to this area and all around Briancon, see the link at the bottom of my post.

Some examples from a few days ago

Below is the from the parking at 2100m below the Grand area, we had planned to do the main south couloir, in the end we did from the summit and a shorter couloir on the left of the photo.

Below is a photo from the top of the Grand area looking in to the Valley Buffere, there are lot of easy routes in this valley, and most of them are still doable, you may have a bit of walking at the bottom of the valley?

Below is from nearing the summit of the Pic Mouliniere further in to the Cerces. that line was in good condition, but if you look in the background, which is looking back towards Montgenevere you can see a lot of dry patches between the snow.

If I can help with other info ask away, the snow pack is changing quite fast so it hard to give 100% with what routes are in.

Cheers Rob
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@fifiskis, thank you. Useful tips. I know the Col Serena from the summer - beautiful valley. I was out there through December and January but found the snow pack challenging for unknown routes. Looks like altitude.and aspect remain especially important despite the snowfall in Feb. From what I could see it came in from the north and not so much made it over to Aosta. Still, it's great to back on snow.again!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@fifiskis, thank you. Useful tips. I know the Col Serena from the summer - beautiful valley. I was out there through December and January but found the snow pack challenging for unknown routes. Looks like altitude.and aspect remain especially important despite the snowfall in Feb. From what I could see it came in from the north and not so much made it over to Aosta. Still, it's great to back on snow.again!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That's beautiful. What is the best time of year. How long would the ideal trip be?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@fifiskis, many thanks for the tips about Italy, I've never been there and this thread is perfect for me!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy