Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is Easter really getting booked up?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, just reading an article from OnTheSnow that is suggesting that Easter is getting booked up..... do we think its true OR is it a marketing ploy to get people rushing for the Book Now button

https://www.inthesnow.com/easter-bookings-booming-as-restrictions-ease-and-previously-disappointed-skiers-rebook/

I was holding out but getting twitchy, even more after reading this. Edit. BTW I'm going 2nd April

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 12-02-22 12:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lessons in Avoriaz with a particular ski school I wanted were sold out for the week before Easter! Its not going to be half term busy but I think busier than a normal year.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The only time I did a last minute Easter trip - years ago, before we had an apartment - flights were expensive. A modest apartment in Courchevel 1650, and car rental for four of us, was OK. But our dates were awkward - round the holiday.

I'd say that, if you're thinking of a package, and are totally flexible, worth holding out. If DIY, flights will only get more expensive - if I were doing that now, I'd book flights (or decide to drive if 3 or 4 of us) then think about accommodation at the last minute.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
The only time I did a last minute Easter trip - years ago, before we had an apartment - flights were expensive. A modest apartment in Courchevel 1650, and car rental for four of us, was OK. But our dates were awkward - round the holiday.

I'd say that, if you're thinking of a package, and are totally flexible, worth holding out. If DIY, flights will only get more expensive - if I were doing that now, I'd book flights (or decide to drive if 3 or 4 of us) then think about accommodation at the last minute.

Flights are really cheap for the 2 or 3rd. Its the car hire prices that's the issue this year. I'm probably going SkiZoom or Crystal route.... just need an easy one...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gaz_H, I just don't beleive it. When I had a quick look at apartments in Les Arcs for the Easter holidays almost all were vacant from one agency. I imagine the resort will be very quiet for that week.

However organising it will be a problem. Crystal appear to have closed down their European programme before Easter. Many of the flights to the tradditional ski airports have been cut at the start of April.

It could be these cuts that are promting inthesnow to suggest that there are reduced availability for Easter.

If you are prepared to drive, or use the train then the prices are low and the resorts will be quiet over Easter.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gaz_H, have booked for Easter now a cheaky nearly whole week joining family, just me and the youngest, leaving eldest behind (revising for GCSEs with her Dad). They had booked a place which was big enough for us to join them.

Innsbruck had crazy flight prices

I found Salzburg and Munich for reasonable flight prices but car hire and transfer out of Salzburg were utterly insane bit Munich was reasonable for both.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If accommodation were plentiful and cheap, but car hire madly expensive, I'd drive from the UK and book accommodation last minute, depending on snow conditions.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnE wrote:
@Gaz_H,

However organising it will be a problem. Crystal appear to have closed down their European programme before Easter. Many of the flights to the tradditional ski airports have been cut at the start of April.

Exactly.... I find this nuts.... however they still operating to some of their Italian resorts in the Doliies over Easter.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NickyJ, What do you mean about "crazy flight prices"? I see flying out from Birmingham to Innsbruck with Jet2 on Easter Saturday and coming back a week later with Lufthansa is £220 per person. I know that this is much higher than than £30 or so one way flights we have seen recently but TBH they are not crazy - less than getting the tra to Glasgow.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Exactly.... I find this nuts.... however they still operating to some of their Italian resorts in the Doliies over Easter.

Covering Good Friday, yes there are holidays but not for Easter Sunday or the holiday period.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnE wrote:
@NickyJ, What do you mean about "crazy flight prices"? I see flying out from Birmingham to Innsbruck with Jet2 on Easter Saturday and coming back a week later with Lufthansa is £220 per person. I know that this is much higher than than £30 or so one way flights we have seen recently but TBH they are not crazy - less than getting the tra to Glasgow.

Ooh, i forgot Jet2.

Had tried, EasyJet, Lufthansa, austrian and BA. Easyjet from Gatwick was £1546 for the two of us before bags. Going out 9th, back 16th. Had hoped to use Southampton but ended up with Heathrow in the end
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Easter is relatively late this year - snow ok?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Orange200, Even to the end of April there is usualy good snow at altitude and north facing slopes. Just be prepared for it to be soft in the afternoons
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Just be prepared for it to be soft in the afternoons

and often extremely icy and hard in the mornings. Best to have slopes with different aspects - ski on the sunniest ones in the morning, the shady ones in the afternoon.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just beware, if you are DIY. Some of the bus transfer companies have reduced their coverage when compared with 2 years ago, e.g. Babs Bus from Grenoble finishes by the end of March. Altibus is not running all the services advertised in its brochure (well it wasn't in Jan!).
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
johnE wrote:

Ooh, i forgot Jet2.

Had tried, EasyJet, Lufthansa, austrian and BA. Easyjet from Gatwick was £1546 for the two of us before bags. Going out 9th, back 16th. Had hoped to use Southampton but ended up with Heathrow in the end

I feel vindicated for forgetting as they are showing no flights out of Bristol and not prepared to go out from Stansted or Brum.
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
NickyJ wrote:
johnE wrote:

Ooh, i forgot Jet2.

I feel vindicated for forgetting as they are showing no flights out of Bristol and not prepared to go out from Stansted or Brum.

Sat 16th to sat 23rd - Heathrow to Salzburg with BA for £140 including ski carriage, any good to you?
snow report
@LDP816, i booked to munich. As i sais both Munich and Salzburg had good flight prices. But both car hire and transfer from Salzburg were massively higher than from Munich. Drive time and distance are pretty much the same.
ski holidays
Lots who post on here have kids so I suspect the thread should read Easter School holidays as actual Easter is very late and will be possibly the last weekend of the school holidays .
latest report
NickyJ wrote:
johnE wrote:

Ooh, i forgot Jet2.

Doesn’t everyone use google flights - all the options are then right in front of you? Or is there some benefit I can’t see in checking each airline individually ?
snow report
@Pejoli, I usually start looking with a consolidator such as Opodo then look at individual airlines. Come late in the season it is often only the likes of KLM and Lufthansa who are filling in the origin and destination matrix.
snow conditions
Gaz_H wrote:

Flights are really cheap for the 2 or 3rd. Its the car hire prices that's the issue this year. I'm probably going SkiZoom or Crystal route.... just need an easy one...

BA cancelled my original flight to Innsbruck on the 2nd months ago. Seemed strange. I’m not hiring a car this year - prices more than doubled. Taxi is cheaper.
latest report
I had to change Salzburg for mayrhofen in jan this year with car hire for march 18 to innsbruck instead, flights were about 100 more for 3 of us but decided to get train from innsbruck instead of a car which saves us about 350. Thats Bristol to innsbruck which cost us about 90 quid each.
Im doing a long weekend in Arosa on 8th April on my own and the flights for that were 100 quid a few days ago and a cheap single room in one of those blocks which was about 140 for 4 nights. Transfers by train for that one were fairly pricey but I just cant be bothered the drive up to the resort.
ski holidays
Gaz_H wrote:
Hi guys, just reading an article from OnTheSnow that is suggesting that Easter is getting booked up..... do we think its true OR is it a marketing ploy to get people rushing for the Book Now button

https://www.inthesnow.com/easter-bookings-booming-as-restrictions-ease-and-previously-disappointed-skiers-rebook/

I was holding out but getting twitchy, even more after reading this. Edit. BTW I'm going 2nd April

2nd April isn't Easter. Easter this year is 15th to 18th.

Article says "The busiest week currently looks to be from April 2nd, with more availability remaining from April 9th." which contradicts with "Also it’s French and Belgian holidays for both the week of the 7th and the 9th so a lot less availability left than normal for this time of year."

I'd take it with a pinch of salt.
ski holidays
Gaz_H wrote:
I was holding out

Out of interest what do you mean by this?

Holding out for a package? For snow conditions? To see which mates are coming?
ski holidays
@Layne, I booked Obergurgl 2nd until 10th ages ago when I thought skiing might not be on until late in the season. it’s not U.K. holidays so I’d have thought more availability than over Easter. Not surprised if all April getting booked up
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:
@Layne, I booked Obergurgl 2nd until 10th ages ago when I thought skiing might not be on until late in the season. it’s not U.K. holidays so I’d have thought more availability than over Easter. Not surprised if all April getting booked up

It is UK holidays for a number of areas.
snow report
I know there was a mix of weeks for school holidays over Easter when Admin was touting interest for this years SFaB after last year's didn't go ahead - we're the fortnight leading up to Easter weekend with kids going back the Tuesday immediately after Easter Monday where as others were the 2 weeks either side of Easter and I think one was even earlier last week March / first April and I guess then the Easter as a B/H weekend after that so that could be having an impact on packages from the UK as there isn't the consistency to make a viable programme? Driving to the French Alps early April should be a pretty clear run traffic and weather wise so, if feasible, I would have a crack at driving rather than looking at packages as the likes of Sunweb and also direct tourist offices bookings have some cheap pickings in high/ highish resorts (eg La Plagne, Val Thorens).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I would have a crack at driving rather than looking at packages as the likes of Sunweb and also direct tourist offices bookings have some cheap pickings in high/ highish resorts (eg La Plagne, Val Thorens).

Agreed.
snow report
Quote:

It is UK holidays for a number of areas.

We have Good Friday, the bank holiday AND the Tuesday. The Orthodox Easter is even later
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy