Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Touring Hire in Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks,

I've booked a day with a guide whilst on the family holiday in Tignes in April. The plan is to get an intro to touring plus a bit of off piste coaching.

I've got some semi-touring boots (Dalbello Lupo's) but will be hiring skis/skins. The thought just occurred to me, will touring hire kit come with pin bindings?

The reason for asking is i'm not super confident off-piste (good red run/average black run skier), hence getting some coaching along with a touring intro session. Are pin binding going to be a bad idea if i'm likely to stack it on the down hills???

Ideally a set of Salomon Shift hybrid bindings would be ideal but I'm guessing its unlikely these will be available to hire?

Thoughts and insights as to what might be available or if I'm worrying too much appreciated!

Cheers

Ben.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@BenAd, why bother with touring? Tignes has so much life served or short boot pack off piste that a guide can bring you to- - sounds like that might be better option for you if you're not super confident off piste, maybe get more off piste experience on lift served off piste 1st and progress later to touring, unless the ups are more important,
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@peanuthead, Yep its a thought!

I’ve done quite a bit of mountaineering and my plan was to add some ski touring skills to open up some new adventures.

Hence keen to learn some skills to build up to some hut to hut tours over the next couple of seasons.

I’ve negotiated a day off (max allowed!) from the family and was keen to maximise the learning to get me started.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BenAd, gotcha

I am NO expert but my feeling is if you want to tour get proper touring setup, but don't expect downhill to be much fun

If you want to ski downhill off piste get proper off piste skis bit these are going to be heavy as are hybrid bindings which will make uphill difficult, fine if you just want to learn how to do kick turns but otherwise begs question whether you just do lift served off piste when in resort with so many adjacent valleys served by lifts
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pretty sure the guys at Tignes Spirit in Lavachet will be able to help you out
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I kind of agree with others that becoming a proficient off piste skier is probably a good first priority. Plenty of people go straight into touring with no formal tuition. Of course good tuition is going to lead to a more efficient movement, but imo not necessary to get started.

So my advice would be to get your guide to put much more focus on the downhill, with plenty of lift served terrain and just a little uphill stuff as an intro. If you decide you want a little more uphill practice/experience rent a setup, get up early one morning and do an hour uphill before family wake up.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy