Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

April, not the usual suspects (Val T etc)

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of a family trip, second week of April. Flying into Geneva or Lyon. Looking for ideas for resorts aside of the high, large resorts (Tignes, Val Thorens and the likes). Smaller, easier slopes, north facing - likely to hold the snow well, short transfer time (probably Geneva), dare I say cheaper? Will most likely take a larger apartment not hotel.
Have been to Avoriaz end of March before - snowed the first 3 days but as soon as the weather cleared everything under 1700-1600 transformed into slush and the peaks are not high.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hintertux - lots of affordable accommodation if you are happy with a car/bus ride in the morning. I did a BASI course there and chose to stay a bit away as not a fan of the bubble that can form, I was surprised how reasonable it was and 15 mins in the car from the lift. Short transfer from Innsbruck.

Sass Fee - not that close in terms of transfer (2hr 45min drive). Brilliant in the spring, I go every year (normally!).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am now booked to fly into Munich, and stay in Mayrhofen.

Another resort to look at is Gressoney or Champoluc (check lift dates)

La Thuile was one we had booked for April during first lockdown.... so never found out how that worked.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another vote for Saas-Fee (I will be there again on April 18 ). Very easy rail/bus connection twice an hour from Geneva Airport railway station.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 9-02-22 17:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As @NickyJ, suggests, check closing dates and don't get mixed up with the "Freeride" weeks after the lifts finish for the season Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Grimentz via Geneva for high level north facing and good lift up from village to easy family piste.

As already with other areas, check the closing date.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Listening, I don't think there are really any resorts that fit all your criteria of:

- late season snow
- short transfer from Geneva or Lyon (rules out Austria and most of Italy)
- inexpensive (rules out Switzerland)
- not one of the "high, large resorts" (rules out all of the best late season French resorts)

However if you could fly to another airport - particularly somewhere further east - then that would open up lots of options in Austria.

Otherwise, the closest match to all of your criteria might be one of the Haute Maurienne resorts like Val Cenis. Or Les Contamines or Flaine maybe. I'm not sure they would be any better than somewhere like Avoriaz though.

Just to list the "usual suspects" in case there are any that might still appeal to you: Tignes/Val d'Isere, 3 Valleys, Les Arcs/La Plagne, Alpe d'Huez (largely south facing), Les 2 Alpes...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Listening, you thought about Are or Trysil? Are is a couple of hours from Trondheim. Trysil is a couple of hours from Oslo. Both may tick the boxes for easier skiing, particularly Trysil. The flights and apartment shouldn't be expensive; eating out would be. Might be worth pricing-up.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They are a long transfer from Geneva though.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dobby wrote:
@Listening, you thought about Are or Trysil? Are is a couple of hours from Trondheim. Trysil is a couple of hours from Oslo. Both may tick the boxes for easier skiing, particularly Trysil. The flights and apartment shouldn't be expensive; eating out would be. Might be worth pricing-up.

We booked Trysil this year for early Jan in place of a French trip as the regulations were still in full swing.

Pleasantly surprised. Two hours on the bus from Oslo airport, great hotel in the Radisson Blu, quiet lifts, no pushing in queues. Snow cover wasn't complete and only three of the black runs open but no big issue. We had a good time. The grades are a little soft, black runs all feel a bit red, red feel a bit blue etc but still good skiing once you get over the cold! By the end of the week you'll be a T-Bar and Button expert again!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What do you want from the snow conditions ? Do you want snow that is largely untransformed (i.e. not melted and refrozen), or are you happy with snow that transforms (i.e. gets slushy, but if you've a range of aspects, you can get good snow conditions most of the day, but need to be a bit adaptable (both in slope choice and skiing style)) ?

It seems to me that you have 4 main variables: destination airport, transfer time, snow conditions (depending on your answer to the above question), and price. Which is most important, and which has some leeway ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The OP's username seems slightly ironic
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A few interesting options. First of all, Geneva and Lyon are the "usual suspects" for the French high areas. I mentioned them as I'm thinking of booking flights and waiting with the resort choice until close to the trip.
The price is less of a factor (within reason), not looking for rock bottom but when multiplying by 5, it all adds up.

@zikomo, Hintertux (and Kaprun, Solden) have the disadvantage of long gondola rides in the morning. I want to be closer to the snow and skiing.

@zikomo, @LOTA, Saas Fee is an interesting option. It also is possible from Zurich (might have better flights) as is Grimenz like @ski3, suggested.

@denfinella, you're quite right that my list is not easy. That's why I'm asking here! Val Cenis seems interesting (even if closer to Torino), is it North facing?

@dobby, Sweden is certainly different, I'll look into it, but it has the disadvantage of leaving the flights to the last minute too, or committing to the resort early.

@NickyJ, @under a new name, Gressoney is one I didn't think about, it opens up flights to Milan (with the backup option of Cervinia, which I didn't find impressive when I crossed from Zermat, but should fit this trip)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fly to Innsbruck and ski in Obergurgl?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Listening, yes, Val Cenis is north facing.
ski holidays
@Listening,Trains from Zurich and Geneva Airport railway stations run with a similar frequency and take a similar amount of time. However, the trip from Zurich involves two or three changes whereas the Geneva service involves just one change, at Visp, to the bus (runs every 30 minutes and connects with the Geneva train).
latest report
viv wrote:

It seems to me that you have 4 main variables: destination airport, transfer time, snow conditions (depending on your answer to the above question), and price. Which is most important, and which has some leeway ?

Yes I agree with this - you need to work out where you're willing to compromise. Especially as you mention that you weren't overly happy with the Avoriaz experience (which is generally a pretty safe bet at the end of March).

We always go away around the start of April (this year on the 9th April) - I don't really want to stress on snow conditions, so we're going to Val Thorens which will minimise this stress - and we've been back to VT multiple times on this premise. If Easter school holidays are at the end of March, we'll take it as opportunity to go a little lower (we've done Avoriaz, Belle Plagne at this time with great success). But I know that in doing this, I have to accept that (if the weather gods aren't kind) then there is a higher risk of having less than ideal conditions. But I have to accept that risk if I want to go lower - if I'm not willing to do that, then I'll book VT again!

EDIT: just seen that you're willing to book the resort relatively last minute, which is perfect as it'll open up the options and you can go where the conditions suit. We always book early (as it's school hols) so end up having to play it safe (or relatively safe).
snow report
How about La Toussuire or St Sorlin d’arves both of which are in the Les Sybelles ski area.
We often go to La Toussuire the first week of April and the snow has mostly been pretty good.
Two hours from Geneva/Lyon - is that too far?
ski holidays
The Flaine bowl will be absolutely fine for the 2nd week of April. North facing and entirely above 1600m. Plus it's a very easy transfer from Geneva.

Other parts of the Grand Massif may be a bit sketchy though.
ski holidays
If booking late from Geneva, look at:-
St Foy
La Rosiere
ski holidays
Listening wrote:
Thinking of a family trip, second week of April. Flying into Geneva or Lyon. Looking for ideas for resorts aside of the high, large resorts (Tignes, Val Thorens and the likes). Smaller, easier slopes, north facing - likely to hold the snow well, short transfer time (probably Geneva), dare I say cheaper? Will most likely take a larger apartment not hotel.
Have been to Avoriaz end of March before - snowed the first 3 days but as soon as the weather cleared everything under 1700-1600 transformed into slush and the peaks are not high.

I know it will sound too low but you should consider Les Contamines. It really fits your description. 80 mins drive from GVA, loads of apartments, friendly piste skiing.
The elevation and the grassy meadows under the snow mean that skiing conditions really stay good much longer than you'd think. Covid apart, we've skied every easter for the last 8 years and had lovely skiing. It is really quiet because as you suggest people head for the obvious high resorts and the valley is beautiful that time of year.
snow conditions
If you wanted to consider somewhere in Austria, there's Obertauern.
Not a long transfer from Salzburg.
No long gondolas in the morning.
Will definitely have snow in April.
Not sure about how easy it would be to get an apartment though.
snow report
Jagerbull wrote:
If you wanted to consider somewhere in Austria, there's Obertauern.
Not a long transfer from Salzburg.
No long gondolas in the morning.
Will definitely have snow in April.
Not sure about how easy it would be to get an apartment though.

and not ideal from GVA or Lyons wink
snow report
@jedster, very true
snow report
OK. Booked flights to Milano. It wasn't on my list, started looking at flights to Milano after looking at the Montarosa area. Will probably take a day or two in Milano (my wife is very happy about this). I think I'll book a rental car to keep all my options open, but hey, well done Snowheads for pointing me in a new direction!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy