Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'Amusing' chairlifts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
valais2 wrote:
Of course there is the ‘amusing’ scenario on almost all steep button lifts, of the sudden failure at a very steep section, and you find yourself slowly sliding backwards, with weary resignation, as the cable slowly reels out, knowing that the re-start will occur at the very end of the cable travel, with the jerk trying to separate your hips from the rest of your body. A quick look behind, and there’s no way to bail out due to the steepness, narrowness and the awful, chossy icy sugar peaks all around, and the person beginning to get into a terrible tangle just below you. If it’s in the sun, you can grab a warm five minutes. If it’s in an icy, shady gulley, time to hunker down and think warm thoughts….

Its the people getting into a terrible tangle above/infront of me that concern me the most. Some of the button lift tracks resemble a luge run.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My friend the late, and much missed, Kevin (not the same one as in the video I must point out) used to tell us a story about a T-bar in Val d'Isere. He got about 100m up the steep start section, before he lost it (grip?, control?, the will to live?). He fell, slid and rolled down the narrow valley - scattering fellow lift users as he went.

He claimed a body count of twelve, which he said was a world record.

I'm sure all involved would have seen that as an amusing day; except the liftie, who said he was "a very dangerous man".
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Paul33, gosh … indeed the liftie had a point!

That’s triggered a memory …

Late 90s … Alpe D’uez .. early in the day…the two big parallel buttons - I’m on my way up the right hand one still thinking of routes for the morning - I hear a clattering above me and look up just in time to see a ski spearing towards me, at a speed on the ice where the brake is ineffective…I move quickly over to the left …s””t…that would have nailed me….and thinks…where’s the other ski…ah…here it comes…whoosh-clatter-clatter…I move quickly further to the left and really fret about the people below me…now…where’s the skier…ah…here she comes…no way can I help…and she’s slowing…which is good….
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
And that triggered a memory for me.

Back in the mid 80s, the 2 beginner lifts out of Arc 1800 were a slow Chair that ran over the top of a slow Drag lift. As myself and Lady F (learning at the time) went up in the Chair, what we saw below has stuck with me for over 35 years. The top cable to which the buttons were attached, came off the pully mechanism.

Given the entire lift was populated by beginners, what resulted was hilarious chaos (nobody was hurt). Some toppled sideways like blown over traffic cones and some slid backwards down the track (only stopping when they hit a pile of skis and other prone bodies). There were a lot of exasperated shouts. I was very glad we were on the chair, as I'm not sure Herself would have seen the funny side if directly involved.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 11-02-22 14:11; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not a chair, and can't remember the name/number, but a dreaded t-bar in obergurgl/hochgurgl. Long, steep and definitely not one to be paired with a 5 year old on.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ansta1 wrote:
Not a chair, and can't remember the name/number, but a dreaded t-bar in obergurgl/hochgurgl. Long, steep and definitely not one to be paired with a 5 year old on.

I think I know the one you mean. It opens up some really good skiing. But it is really long and awkward. I remember my feet screaming from holding a strange position to avoid taking my mate out
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are 2 secrets to T Bar riding:

1. Go with someone of a similar height
2. Lean in towards each other so your shoulders are gently pressing against each other - tip from Ali Ross (I think).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Old Fartbag,

1. Agree, but not always possible when you are skiing with you 5yr old daughter.

you forgot

3. Avoid t-bar lifts like the plague.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ansta1 wrote:
@Old Fartbag,

1. Agree, but not always possible when you are skiing with you 5yr old daughter.

Been there, done that.

Years ago, there was a guy in our group who used T Bars to (attempt to) get dates.

He would try and finagle his way into sharing with someone he took a fancy to in the lift queue. A fall would then be engineered - and in the way of an apology, offered to buy his victim a drink. It mostly didn't work and he was more likely to get a whack from a ski pole!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy