Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I bought a new pair of skis two years ago, and wondered if anyone knows if new skis come ready waxed? Thanks in advance for any help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@1danderousskier, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
Yes they do, and you'll get varying advice on whether it's fine to ski on them as they are, or need to spend hours infusing as much wax as possible, scraping, brushing, fondling etc.
Probably boils down to whether or not you wax your own skis. No absolute right answer really.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mgrolf, how much time do you spend fondling your skis? Puzzled Shocked Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mistress Twerkle, well, bereft of my partner in dance/crime, what else is there to do?

As it happens, I have just emerged from the cave - having lavished some care and attention onto a ski that argued with some rocks at the PSB. Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mgrolf[/b], Thanks for your helpful reply. As I'm very much a recreational skier, I would imagine that it won't make much difference to me! Eh oh!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Take a look at the bases, are they a nice, uniform, glossy black (assuming not coloured bases) or do they have a few duller, whiter looking areas?

Wax doesn't last forever on stored skis and they can 'dry out'. If they look good you can just go for it. If you have some dry patches probably worth chucking them in to a shop for a wax. Most places in resort will do that overnight, so you can drop them in after skiing one day/pick them up before skiing the next.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No ski comes out of factory properly waxed. Even some xc skis, that companie's PR is claiming they come out waxed (no such claims were ever out for alpine skis), are not waxed, and you can see this yourself as soon as you slide wax iron along the ptex.
Now if you should wax them (even more, if you should have some 15+ wax cycles before skiing them) or not goes down to question, will you wax them regularly after that? And with regularly I don't mean waxing them once or twice a year, but pretty much after every skiing. If answer is yes, then yes of course you wax them several times before you put them to snow for first time. If answer is no, and you are not planning to wax them more then once every now and then, then answer is pretty simple too... don't bother and don't waste your time and effort waxing them. Not for first time not ever after that.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mgrolf wrote:
@Mistress Twerkle, well, bereft of my partner in dance/crime, what else is there to do?

As it happens, I have just emerged from the cave - having lavished some care and attention onto a ski that argued with some rocks at the PSB. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Laughing Laughing

Be sure to video any shenanigans at the next bash… snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy