Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blisters relief

Poster: A snowHead
Any advice on how to prevent them and treat them?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Prevent them by strapping likely areas with zinc tape.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Compeed blister pads work pretty well. But if your boots are a poor fit...no proper solution.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
assuming you get them skiing then get your boots fitted properly/replace boots to prevent and zinc tape step 1, compeed step 2 to treat.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been told that ladies tights are effective, don't know if it's true, though.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@tonyfo,

I'm a bit of an expert on them Laughing

https://www.stylealtitude.com/how-to-treat-a-ski-boot-blister.html
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's really only one solution: Epitact Epithelium gel pads

https://www.osgo.co.uk/supplier-store/product/epitact-ep29-gel-square/

If you suffer from blisters then you can cut them up and place next to the skin (under your sock), in the places that are most vulnerable. They offer outstanding protection. They are slightly sticky, but its better to hold them in place with 3M Micropore tape.

If you already have a blister, then place the gel pad over the blister, and I guarantee you'll still be skiing the next day.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jellylegs wrote:
.......If you already have a blister, then place the gel pad over the blister, and I guarantee you'll still be skiing the next day....

That product is very similar to "Spenco Second Skin" which is a gel type layer.

But the secret as in the link above is to carefully let the water out of the blister by putting a needle into the good skin and then draining in, if you merely put the gel and tape over the blister you stand the risk of bursting it and that's when the problems really start.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 8-02-22 17:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Prevention - aren't blisters caused by rubbing from badly fitting footwear?

Treating - two plasters - first with a hole cut in and then another on top. If not wearing socks and shoes i.e., overnight leave uncovered.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Layne, yes and no, it all depends on friction obviously but sweat can really accelerate blisters.

I can ski-tour three hours+ in the winter with hardly any issues, come the arrival of the Spring and the Sweat monster comes out of hibernation and then that's when the problems can start and I have to start paying attention to any heat-spots.

And that's the problem for many, they simply ignore those early signs, and will not stop to address the issue.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you for all the replies - to recap:

1)I have started by ordering a pair of Salomon S/Pro 100 after reading online reviews that they are comfortable and fit well.
2) Will order pads, compeed and zinc and take with me.
3) will steal a needle from the wife's drawer.
4) a box of plasters

Anything else?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
and what works if a 5 yr old has blisters - surely not a needle? I am taking my daughter skiing for the first time on the 19th of feb for 2 weeks daily. I don't want her to be in pain...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@tonyfo, how do you know they are the right boots and size for your foot shape, weight, flex etc? Honestly buying boots online is a buy twice kinda situation, really better done in person with a recommended skilled boot fitter. Especially if you already have had issues.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tonyfo wrote:

1)I have started by ordering a pair of Salomon S/Pro 100 after reading online reviews that they are comfortable and fit well.
4) a box of plasters

Anything else?

That’s just nonsense. Get no. 1 right by buying boots that are the right size, shape and type and having them fitted to you feet by a competent boot fitter and you’ll probably find 2, 3 and 4 are redundant.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you get blisters skiing downhill the problem is the boots - that should never happen. As above though, you need to try boots before buying unless you already know exactly what you need wink

If you get blisters from skitouring uphill, these are the holy grail: https://www.ezeefitsports.com/product-p/011.htm (available from amazon and other eu online retailers, but that's the brand's own website). Originally designed to stop blisters while ice skating, but they have 100% stopped my blister issues (nothing else ever did, other than duct tape!).
latest report
and where can I find a competent fitter?
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
tonyfo wrote:

4) a box of plasters

Anything else?

That’s just nonsense. Get no. 1 right by buying boots that are the right size, shape and type and having them fitted to you feet by a competent boot fitter and you’ll probably find 2, 3 and 4 are redundant.

Though it is missing good quality ski socks.

WRT competent fitters @CEM (solutions4feet, bicester) is very well regarded in the UK. Otherwise ask for recommendations as someone can probably recommend a good fitter in the part of the country you are in (or resort you are going to);
latest report
tonyfo wrote:
and where can I find a competent fitter?

Word of mouth - but regular recs on here are S4F Bicester, Profeet London, Ski Exchange Cambridge, Glide 'n' Slide Otley.

I see you are in Cardiff?
ski holidays
In resort can be another option
ski holidays
Coyoti in Bridgend was mentioned in another thread.
snow report
Layne wrote:
I see you are in Cardiff?

Ski Bartlett - just off the M4, get the Heathrow T2-3 turn off if coming from Cardiff but then head north. I imagine maybe a bit closer/convenient than those quoted above?
snow report
tonyfo wrote:
and what works if a 5 yr old has blisters - surely not a needle? I am taking my daughter skiing for the first time on the 19th of feb for 2 weeks daily. I don't want her to be in pain...

Unlikely your daughter will suffer much from blisters. At that age they can only ski for short periods of time. None of my four kids had problems when learning to ski!

And if she does, there is no problem draining with a needle. It does not hurt at all. All you are doping is puncturing the raised outer level of skin which does not have any nerve endings in it. She won't feel a thing.

Surprised you would not already know this as a parent of a 5 year old!
snow report
zikomo wrote:
tonyfo wrote:

Unlikely your daughter will suffer much from blisters. At that age they can only ski for short periods of time. None of my four kids had problems when learning to ski!

And if she does, there is no problem draining with a needle. It does not hurt at all. All you are doping is puncturing the raised outer level of skin which does not have any nerve endings in it. She won't feel a thing.

Surprised you would not already know this as a parent of a 5 year old!

She has a needle phobia (Trypanophobia). We are working on it.
ski holidays
@tonyfo, I understand. I have a mild needle phobia myself, following rabbies injections (in the stomach) in Africa when I was a boy. Injections are a nightmare for me, I can and do manage but something I dread!

She will be fine. Decent ski socks, make sure the boots fit well. And take them off immediately after skiing, don't be tempted to leave them on when she is doing other things.
latest report
I've found this to be good for prevention - widely available in France, but seems to be available here also:

https://www.sanareva.co.uk/product-mercurochrome-plaster-lamps-2-m-x-5cm.html

Stick it on any areas which you think might give trouble.

And shiny pop socks!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy