Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aiguille Du MIDI Mont Blanc

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone any experience with the trip up Mont Blanc via the Aguille Du MIDI

I’ve seen the prices etc but was wondering if anyone had any trip reports or experiences they would share. We are out that was later this week and having been to Chamonix in the past but not done the trip up we thought we would take the time to do it.

Any advice or information greatly appreciated
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure this is what you mean?
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=64543
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I climbed Mont Blanc Via the Aguille du Midi back in September 2004. Most people spend a night at the Cosmiques hut just below the Midi to help acclimatise, but I decided against it as I had spent five days in Chamonix hiking high and sleeping low. Please don't underestimate the effects of altitude sickness, it can be very debilitating.

This route is without doubt many, many times better than the Goutier route. From the off there is a real introduction to the high mountain environment as you leave the safety of the cable car station straight onto an knife edge arete. There is a LOT of exposure here - very much a no fall zone. Down into and across the valley and then climbing up through the seracs of the face of Mont Blanc du Tacul. You will have to do some ice climbing here I would imagine.

Up and over Mont Maudit via the Col de la Brevna (?) where there were fixed ropes when I climbed as it is very steep and then onto the summit of Mont Blanc. From there you descend via the Goutier Route (again down a fairly narrow ridge) and overnight at the Goutier Refuge. With an early start this can be done in a long day.

The following day starts with an Alpine Start (very early). You climb down via the Dome du Gouter and cross the infamous Grand Couloir. Many people have perished here but with an Alpine start you should be fine as you will be crossing it before any ice has melted.

I don't know what your experience is but if you haven't spent a lot of time in the mountains AND done the relevant winter skills courses I would not be undertaking this climb. It's roped up, ice axe and crampons all the way and if you don't know how to use the them they are just weapons that can do a lot of damage to you.

On a happier note, I have climbed 120 winter Munros, Mount Kilimanjaro, Mount Muhavura, Mount Elbrus, Mont Blanc and Acouncagua and I have to say that my favourite climb without doubt was Mont Blanc. We lucked out with the weather and climbing the Cosmiques Route only saw one other group of four people (in the distance) on our entire climb up to the summit.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BobinCH, wow just read this epic tale from 2010. Terrific writing brought it all alive.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think the OP was talking about getting the lift up to AdM perhaps, not to climb Mont Blanc, in winter. But you never know.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@orange, correct Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Renry, it’s a brilliant experience in winter and summer, I’d recommend it. Take a guide and do the Vallee Blanche, I did it with a group in 2003. Fabulous scenery.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Renry, if you're skiing in Chamonix anyway, then check whether its better just to buy the unlimited ski pass and use that for skiing and the midi, vs buying the restricted pass and paying for the midi separately.

You can reserve a time on-line beforehand - worth doing this if its a nice day. If possible, avoid the 7am-10am peak period for the skiers/climbers, and you'll have a much less odorous experience in the cable car. Take sandwiches, dark sunglasses, sunscreen, and a very warm coat, and have an amazing picnic on the sun deck.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you @snowdave,
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Only ever done it via Helbronner on the Italian side. Fabulous, if you do it, best do it from the Italian side.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markymark29 wrote:
@Renry, it’s a brilliant experience in winter and summer, I’d recommend it. Take a guide and do the Vallee Blanche, I did it with a group in 2003. Fabulous scenery.

+1
Take a picnic. It’s beautiful down there.
Walking out on to the ridge is something to experience. Little Angel
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We'll be going to Les C next week, and I thought on the way back to Geneva on our leaving day we would go up the Aguille du Midi cable car to the needle (just to view not ski). Just booking the one-off tickets seems to come to 267eur for our party for a morning timed booking on the day I want, whereas if I buy a one day normal Evasion pass it comes to about 150eur.

Now I think the cable car to the top is included in the Evasion pass so apart from being able to book a time for the one-off ticket is there anyting I am missing as to why I wouldnt save >100eur?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ster, I don't think you mean the Evasion pass (Les C, St G, Megeve, Combloux, La Giettaz). Possibly you mean the Mont Blanc Unlimited pass, don't know what that costs.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, this

The Evasion Mont-Blanc ski pass gives access to the following ski areas :

Les Contamines / Hauteluce (not linked by skis)
Saint-Gervais
Megève
Combloux
Saint-Nicolas de Véroce
La Giettaz

I thought Chamonix was included.

So yes would need the MB Unlimited - so no real saving. So it was too good to be true!

Thanks for putting me right.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's well worth a trip up - but only if the weather is clear. And be prepared for a very steep drop in temperature from the car park!
snow report
One little challange if you go. If you think you are fit, run up the stairs in to the cafe, from the bridge, non stop and let all of us here on snowheads know how it went. Wink
snow report
@pam w, Will bear than in mind. Its do that or maybe hang around in Les C for half a day and ski a bit more (but would be all a bit rushed) or head to Geneva airport first thing, check in early then take the train into the city for a wander before an early evening flight.

@Idris, I'm not sure my constitution (or insurer) would thank me for even trying that after a week of eating out on French cooking. And I know I am not as fit as I'd like. Might get the kids to do it though.
snow conditions
@ster, of the two, I'd definitely go for the Aiguille du Midi (if the weather is conducive) rather than a stroll round Geneva.
snow report
pam w wrote:
@ster, of the two, I'd definitely go for the Aiguille du Midi (if the weather is conducive) rather than a stroll round Geneva.
I dont know. A nice lunch by Lake Geneva of the local fish can be very pleasant way of spending the afternoon on a nice sunny day, and still less than the price of the cable car up the Aiguille du Midi. But we will probably do the cable car, its not often we have the best part of a day to kill and would pretty much drive right by it on the way to get to the airport.
snow conditions
100% worth it. The cable car alone is a miraculous feat of engineering and by far the most impressive ski lift ride that I know of anywhere in Europe. Make sure you stand at the front and bear in mind as you look out at the precipitous glacial slopes in front, that some people ski down that!!! (Look up Mallory Eugster ADM)
snow conditions
@ster, I'm not entirely clear which route from any Evasion station would take you "right past" the Aiguile Puzzled
snow report
@under a new name, well not right past but certainly not much of a detour. And who knows when we’ll be this way next. Although we’ve bee so lucky with conditions at Les C this week (even the forecasted rain has moved to night time) and had a good time than hopefully it won’t be long.
ski holidays
ster wrote:
@under a new name, well not right past but certainly not much of a detour. And who knows when we’ll be this way next. Although we’ve bee so lucky with conditions at Les C this week (even the forecasted rain has moved to night time) and had a good time than hopefully it won’t be long.

My vote is most definitely for the AdM! Magnificent views of the Tacul face and the surrounding peaks. You can dream about your next trip up to Mont Blanc and skiing all the classic big Chamonix lines! Most Genevans that can escape to the mountains at the weekend!
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:

What an epic (but at the same time, very humbling) tale.
Thanks for sharing.
snow conditions
franga wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

12 years ago now. Perhaps it’s time for another attempt…
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
franga wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

12 years ago now. Perhaps it’s time for another attempt…

Well, we only live once ...
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
ster wrote:

My vote is most definitely for the AdM! Magnificent views of the Tacul face and the surrounding peaks. You can dream about your next trip up to Mont Blanc and skiing all the classic big Chamonix lines! Most Genevans that can escape to the mountains at the weekend!

Just going up the Aguille du Midi was awe inspiring enough, I wouldn’t dare ski off it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy