Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Garmisch-Partenkirchen trip report 03-06th Feb 2022

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Got back yesterday from a fantastic few days in Garmisch.
First some background, im a poor intermediate skier who last hit the slopes 6 years ago. So rusty. I wanted a short trip (3 days skiing) to get back in the swing of things)
I chose Garmisch as with the Zugspitzeplatt had enough to keep me interested for 3 days (60km) and was easily accessible from Munich by train. Didn't want to pay for costly transfers so wanted to use public transport.
Journey to Garmisch from Munich airport is easy, 90 minute journey, 1 change at Munich Central and 23 euros each way.
I was lucky with the weather, snowed for 3 days before I arrived and then the sun cam out as I arrived. Nice little ski area, quick access via the Hausbergbahn or the Kreuzeckbahn. The lift pass for the area and Zugspitzeplatt included the Zugspitzbahn cog railway. This is great as I was only a few minutes walk from the station, get on the train and in 2 minutes your at the Hausbergbahm, another 2 minutes and your at the Kreuzeckbahn and Alpspitzebahn, stay on the train and you go up to the Zugspitzeplatte. So very easy to get around. The ski area has some lovely long reds to the valley (runs 1 and 4) as well as the mythical Kandahar downhill run if thats your kind of thing. I used to Hausberg ski school ski rental at the bottom station. Easy, order online and use your code to collect skis. Decent Volkl skis. I spent my first day getting back into the swing of things and exploring the area. Nice snow, good grooming, easy to get around. My only criticism is there are a few areas where links between slopes are fairly flat requiring some skating or poling. Some of the most interesting and exciting runs are from the Alspitze summit. The resort was using the 2G rule that the whole of Germany is under, so to get a lift pass you had to give proof of vaccination status with id, masks were worn on very lift, not just enclosed lifts, so even chairlifts and T bars you had to wear a mask. Everyone did, no issues at all, just standard and automatic. They also used the vaccination status for access to mountain huts and restaurants. So again a check on entry. Some just looked at your pass, others scanned it to get a green tick approval and some did that plus asked for id to prove who you were. Very well organised and easy to do, I used the local Corona Warn app which was simpler to use and quicker then the NHS app for me. Worked fine, no issues anywhere. Again this is just habit for the locals, its organised well and didn't cause any delays.
Second day I generally lapped the valley reds and then the 3rd day I went up to the Zugspitzeplatte by the train. Takes an hour or so to get there but well worth it. Lovely cruising runs, nice snow. I was lucky that there was 2 or 3 inches of soft champagne powder overnight so was lovely skiing. lots of off piste easily accessible here, although I can't comment on the safety of it, would always recommend a guide. Lots of easy areas to reach between lifts though. If you go to the Zugspitzeplatt I would recommend getting the lift to the summit (included in pass) and go up to the roof of the summit station, amazing views, worth a quick look.
The Town itself I didn't see much of during the day but had lots of nice looking boutiques and kit shops. Ate out in several different restaurants. All good. Not everyone speaks English that well so be prepared with a translate app or phrase book, having said that the menus seemed to have English test in them. Again everywhere checks your vaccination status and some want id too.
All in all a fantastic little trip. Would thoroughly recommend for a few days. Easy access, nice little resort and ski area and I would imagine there is plenty of things to see or do if you were a non skier.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 7-02-22 14:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice report, have only ever been there in summer, but agree, it’s a nice place.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I should add that this was a solo trip. Again part of the decision making was easy access to a decent ski area via public transport straight into resort. hiring a car was too expensive and booking transfers usually expensive for solo traveller too, so had to be via public transport (ideally train) and easy to access via the airport. Munich airport has a station in it direct to Munich central without changing, so was an easy option. My other area to look at was flying to Salzburg and getting a train to Schladming or similar area. Garmisch came out as most practical for me though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DHosking, great report, we loved Garmisch and hope to go back. The kandahar is really good fun for next time when you have your ski legs back - I'm also a poor inter and most of it was fine with one sticky steep section. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ElzP wrote:
@DHosking, great report, we loved Garmisch and hope to go back. The kandahar is really good fun for next time when you have your ski legs back - I'm also a poor inter and most of it was fine with one sticky steep section. snowHead

Yes looked good. Would brave it next time, most of it looked fine apart from a couple of short steep sections, probably could have negotiated it fine.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy