Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort advice for a skier and non skier gf

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,
I’m looking for a ski resort in Europe for myself (skier) and my gf who doesn’t want to ski at all…
So it needs to be a (sorted, first is most important):
* Nice town, so she will have what to do during my ski time (nice town that she could walk on and maybe go shopping and drink nice coffee etc..)
* a place with nice atmosphere for couples (good and romantic restaurants and bars)
* For me I would like a good ski area because I’m skiing all mountain and off pistes as well.
* mountain could be accessible for non skiers, so we could eat lunch together on mountain and she will enjoy the view.

Here are my thoughts for now (haven’t been on any of them):
* Zermatt
* ischgl
* Chamonix(?)

I Just got back from Val D’Isere with friends, was really nice but I couldn’t find something reasonable in March..
For budget I’m thinking of 2000$ for 1 we’re for the hotel (I’m flexible on that, might do 3k if it’s something really nice).

Thanks!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zermatt, definitely but unlikely to make the price if you want to be central.

Prime choice, Chamonix to give a great mix of the two different elements, along with access on most of the ski area to meet for lunch. Not cheap, possibly more options than Zermatt though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd throw Cortina D'Ampezzo and Kitzbuhel into the mix too, both proper towns with loads to do for non skiers. Perhaps not as extensive or as much off piste as those mentioned above but still plenty to keep a good skier occupied.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Briancon?
Davos?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
my advice... change the GF Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Indeed... to paraphrase our esteemed BBC, "other girlfriends are available" Razz
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Always a tricky one.

A couple of other things to consider is whether your gf would do things like snow shoeing. Or perhaps would enjoy a wellness centre or a sports centre.

And for yourself, if you are skiing solo or going to try to hook with people.

Also, a question, is this your idea or hers? I suspect you know where I am going with that question. Either way, I would put the ball in her court a little bit rather than taking it all on yourself.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Courmayeur, much better than Chamonix, or Zermatt for your needs
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wouldn't do it. It's an unfair expectation on both sides: you want to ski all day, your partner wants a 'proper' holiday. The danger is you both end up dissatisfied. Unless you can re-orient your expectations to be a holiday in the mountsins with perhaps a bit of skiing, then you could be wasting your money.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I would put the ball in her court a little bit rather than taking it all on yourself.

This. Suggest she spends a few hours on the internet, researching where she'd like to go.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Idris wrote:
Courmayeur, much better than Chamonix, or Zermatt for your needs

It's even possible to have a day in Turin from Courmayeur (bus & train), though even easier in Courmayeur.

When used to go skiing with my parents, my Mum was a non-skier and we went to a few Swiss places that had railway connections. She would then break the week up with a trip down the railway and even onto the mainline and to a town somewhere nearby. For example, one year we went to Leysin and she had a day in Lausanne. Not necessarily recommending Leysin (I don't remember enough to do that and it may not be great in March), but there's a lot of Swiss resorts where that sort of thing's possible.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for your answer guys.
My gf knows what she's into, she suggested that. She's ok with not doing much at the morning and noon and that we will be together mostly afternoon and at evening.
Actually she told me to choose a resort that will be perfect for my ski and she really doesn't care, she just want to be with me, and prefer that than I'll go alone/with the boys again (and actually I prefer that too! of course I prefer she will ski, maybe next year Wink )

I'm looking at Kitzbuhel and Zermatt now, hope I'll find something reasonable with my budget.
I looked the others resorts, and they looks too small for me (kms of piste).
@GottaCatchEmAll, Is Kitzbuhel romantic for couples? Does it has some good and fine restaurants?
We actually been to Zermatt before during the summer and we loved it! But I don't think I'll find something with my budget..

Thanks guys!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Is Kitzbuhel romantic for couples? Does it has some good and fine restaurants?

Kitzbuhel is a sophisticated resort. My sister swears she saw women there with Gucci moonboots. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beny992 wrote:
Hey guys,
I’m looking for a ski resort in Europe for myself (skier) and my gf who doesn’t want to ski at all…
* Nice town, so she will have what to do during my ski time (nice town that she could walk on and maybe go shopping and drink nice coffee etc..)
* a place with nice atmosphere for couples (good and romantic restaurants and bars)
* For me I would like a good ski area because I’m skiing all mountain and off pistes as well.
* mountain could be accessible for non skiers, so we could eat lunch together on mountain and she will enjoy the view.

* Zermatt
* ischgl
* Chamonix(?)

I Just got back from Val D’Isere with friends, was really nice but I couldn’t find something reasonable in March..
For budget I’m thinking of 2000$ for 1 we’re for the hotel (I’m flexible on that, might do 3k if it’s something really nice).

Thanks!!

Innsbruck perhaps, lovely city, pleanty to do and see, skiing various resorts a bus ride away. Hope you find what you are looking for.
Andy.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You won't be able to cover all the mileage in a big ski area, @beny992, if you're only skiing in the mornings. wink
snow conditions
@pam w, theres a netflix series called Kitz at the moment. Makes it look very flash/ unappealing Laughing
ski holidays
Yes, doesn't remotely appeal to me. My sister didn't specially like it, but it was long ago.
latest report
beny992 wrote:
Thanks for your answer guys.
My gf knows what she's into, she suggested that. She's ok with not doing much at the morning and noon and that we will be together mostly afternoon and at evening.
Actually she told me to choose a resort that will be perfect for my ski and she really doesn't care, she just want to be with me, and prefer that than I'll go alone/with the boys again

Sounds like she's worried you will stray Laughing Laughing

But seriously I do wonder if she has thought this through (if you are as keen a skier as you sound you will be doing a full day on the slopes) but I guess there is only one way to find out Toofy Grin Very Happy

beny992 wrote:
I looked the others resorts, and they looks too small for me (kms of piste).

Just a thought, what are you planning to do - ski solo, try to buddy up, join a guided group? May be a factor on resort choice aswell perhaps...
latest report
Aosta - with direct gondola to ski in pila, we went there as Mrs Z no longer skis. Ticks a lot of your boxes.
snow report
Courmayeur would get my vote.
snow conditions
One I toyed with the idea of, but didn't do, is Granada to ski Sierra Nevada.
But now we have grand kids for her to look after, so she will be kept busy for the foreseeable...
ski holidays
@beny992, Can recommend Chez Nous in Zermatt as something that might be in Budget. Lizzie will sort you out. https://cheznouszermatt.com/
snow conditions
Quote:

now we have grand kids for her to look after, so she will be kept busy for the foreseeable...

can take grandkids skiing.....
snow report
Ray Zorro wrote:
One I toyed with the idea of, but didn't do, is Granada to ski Sierra Nevada.
But now we have grand kids for her to look after, so she will be kept busy for the foreseeable...

It would be a good option but only for a couple of ski days IMO. Access is really easy by car to Sierra Nevada, but the ski area is pretty small and certainly not what I’d deem adequate for a week’s holiday, a couple of days at a time max unless you really like doing the same runs over and over and over again.
latest report
Did this unintentionally when my wife broke her leg on day 1 of a trip. Insurance wouldn't repatriate me early so she elected to stay the week with me, reading etc. Sadly (for her) we were in Val Cenis which is tiny, but, I skied down for lunch with her at a lovely place every day. Then back up! Suggest you do that wherever you go.
snow conditions
Innsbruck would be a very good choice. Excellent transport connections ..great place for the GF to look around & plenty of easily accessible & varied skiing...clarky999 is the resident Innsbruck expert on this board & I'm sure he'd help with suggestions.
latest report
Look at Oberlech. Great atmosphere. Most hotels have excellent wellness options. Lovely walk down to Lech through the woods. Some great places to join for lunch. If GF was up for it, the toboggan run is brilliant. Plenty of shops in lech and even more people watching.
snow report
We were impressed with the village of Saas-Fee when we went (sadly 16 years ago now). Lots of shops, cafes, bakeries etc.

But you can't go wrong with Zermatt.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had a non-skiing partner, who wasn't particularly into shopping, but liked sitting around reading over cups of coffee, walking and generally exploring. And lunching. He enjoyed Chamonix, for walking, for the town and for using the car to explore the area more widely. We would often meet at the bottom of a pre-designated lift (the Chamonix ski areas are quite spread out and, although there are buses, it's handier to have a car) and find lunch somewhere at valley level.

Better, though, was Wengen. Nice village, in the middle of a large ski domain. Loads of uphill transport, including lovely trains, which non-skiers can use to access the whole domain, a really huge area. And - unlike Chamonix, which imv doesn't have any really nice lunch places up the mountain at all, let alone ones which non-skiers can access - masses of fabulous restos up the mountain accessible to pedestrians as well as skiers.
latest report
beny992 wrote:
Hey guys,

* Zermatt
* ischgl
* Chamonix(?)

Thanks!!

Zell am See - linked to Saalbach so you have all the skiing you want. or glacier at Kaprun

One of the most beautiful locations in the Alps. A very nice town. Walks up the mountain. Station - so a train journey to Salzburg in little over an hour (I think)

We are off there in 10 days - exactly like you, a skier and non skier. There are 3 guided walks up the mountain, and a non skiers 3 day in 8 lift pass. Hotels should be a bit cheaper than Ischgl, and certainly a greater range of quality. Ski in, ski out possible (we are going to the Sporthotel Alpin, right on the slopes, next to the main gondola https://www.sporthotelalpin.com/en/

Or Lauterbrunnen/Murren/Wengen. Lots for non skiers there too
ski holidays
Guys, thank you so much for your help.
Many of the suggested resorts are too small (Courmayeur for example)..
I wanted Kitzhubel but in March the chances of snow are low (doesnt it?)

I can get really good prices on flights to Zurich, so I'm focusing on get some nice hotel in Zermatt within my budget (~2000 euro for hotel)
I looked for nearby resorts to Zurich and came across Verbier, which looks huge (in terms of kms of ski). What do you think on the resrts itself? It's nice and romantic for couples? good restaurants and bars?

Thanks!
latest report
There will be plenty of snow in Kitz in March - Austria has had by far the best snow this winter. May be a little green off the pistes lower down but that's really it. They usually have to end the season and have to chop the pistes up so the cows can be let out! It's generally colder to the east so a direct comparison of heights is false, and much of Kitz has a good aspect.

Switzerland isn't cheap for food and drink; Austria is significantly cheaper, and similar to UK prices. 4 years ago a burger up the mountain, no fries, in Wengen cost £25
ski holidays
beny992 wrote:
Many of the suggested resorts are too small (Courmayeur for example)

It has plenty of good off-piste that you can do with a guide and still get back to a restaurant for lunch.
snow conditions
@buchanan101, I was going to suggest Zell as well, but couldn't remember how easy it was to get to/from Saalbach from/to there (when I did it I got a lift from a local). If it's relatively easy, then it gets a +1 from me.
snow conditions
Ok, so I got now flight tickets to Zurich. It was too good so I had to order it (150$ for a couple with baggages + skis, normally the price is 600$).
So I guess the direction now is Zermatt/other swiss resort or a French resort? Anything that is ~4 hours by car from Zurich basically.
latest report
beny992 wrote:
Anything that is ~4 hours by car from Zurich basically.

Why not get the train from Zurich to a resort.

Other people have suggested Wengen. Maybe also consider Engelberg, good off-piste, your gf could go to Luzern for the day.
ski holidays
I’m off there in 12 days… it’s reasonably easy (though a 30min bus ride has been recommended to me). Zell to SH; long Red down back of Schmittenhohe then short gondola drop (or ski route) to a frequent bus that takes a few mins to get to Schonleiten (sp?) lift. Going back - easy if blue 168 open, but south facing with no snowmaking. Goes straight to Zell gondola. Otherwise it’s the short bus and gondola back, and ski down in to Zell.
snow report
rjs wrote:
beny992 wrote:
Anything that is ~4 hours by car from Zurich basically.

Why not get the train from Zurich to a resort.

Other people have suggested Wengen. Maybe also consider Engelberg, good off-piste, your gf could go to Luzern for the day.

Or Lauterbrunnen. Will be cheaper than Wengen and gives the option of going either way (Wengen or Murrwn), plus GF could get train down to Interlakken. That area is the only place I’ve seen loads of non skiers; weird in the cable car to the James Bond revolving restaurant on the Schilthorn. Then there’s the Jungfrau for GF
ski holidays
buchanan101 wrote:
I’m off there in 12 days… it’s reasonably easy (though a 30min bus ride has been recommended to me). Zell to SH; long Red down back of Schmittenhohe then short gondola drop (or ski route) to a frequent bus that takes a few mins to get to Schonleiten (sp?) lift. Going back - easy if blue 168 open, but south facing with no snowmaking. Goes straight to Zell gondola. Otherwise it’s the short bus and gondola back, and ski down in to Zell.

Sounds reasonably straight forward.
snow report
I went to Flims/Laax recently and it had a huge amount of mountain access for non skiers, including walking routes, snowshoe routes and sled runs (proper wooden sledges, not silly chuck-yourself-down-an-icy-tube bobsled stuff). Good food choices straight off lifts from the base so easy to meet for lunch up the mountain.

The towns were nice, and the skiing was very good. Plus it’s an easy drive from Zurich, so could be worth considering.

Ms T.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy