Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any advise you can give

Poster: A snowHead
so about me.
35 year old that had only ever skied for 3 days on a ski holiday with the school when i was 12 and ended up breaking my foot.
Started dating a woman that has been skiing 30+ years with multiple full seasons and 2 or 3 ski holidays a year.

Went to Hemel in November and done a beginner ski day and managed to get my level 5 signed off on the 6 hours day and been back to hemel 5 times since on open slopes so this video is from a total of 16 hours on snow.

have 2 trips booked this year and have a few hours of private lessons booked on 1 day in Bulgaria but am hoping to get a bit more time in hemel before i go so just looking for a bit of advise on what i should work on.

http://youtube.com/v/4A6WPLdwRto
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No advice from me, @Ghostlybadge, but congratulations on your new woman!! Someone will be along with advice soon.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Pam.

After 700+ skydives and 600+scuba dives I thought I would take up a cheap safe hobby.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ghostlybadge, Looking good! You're doing the right thing - get as many lessons as you can. You might get a few tips on here, but there's no substitute for in-person lessons Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Ghostlybadge, Good that you are getting into skiing, and look comfortable on the slope. I suggest at your level that you book in to some morning group lessons, a full week of lessons will be better for you than a few hours of private.

Specifically from this video. I like your confidence.
1. You are getting some forward pressure at the start of your turn which is good. But this is not maintained, you should concentrate on bending the ankles and keeping forward pressure of your shins against the tongue of the boot. You are on your heels at the end of the turn. You can actually see the tips rising upwards, that is how much pressure you have on the back of your boots!
2. Your stance is not athletic. You are very static, you need to work on being much more dynamic, your body should always be in motion. Frankly you seem to have forgotten you are engaged in a sport! Get active. Think about getting hands forward, rounded back, goalkeeper stance.
3. Your run is a series of traverses where you are static, followed by an abrupt direction change. This is working for you in terms of speed control to some extent but I would worry about your level of control if there were more people on the slope. Work needed on making the turn progressive, you should aim for a nice rounded shape rather than a series of zig zags.
4. Most people at your level have more body rotation at the start of a turn. You have some, swinging your shoulder a bit, which needs to be eliminated. But you have made a good start in this regard! Be conscious of NOT swinging your shoulders to try and initiate the turn, not only is it unnecessary it makes it almost impossible to get early pressure on the new outside ski and increase pressure progressively and smoothly through the turn.
5. Concentrate on all your weight being on the downhill ski.

Please be careful on your holiday to not end up over-terrained. This is the worst (and most common) mistake that beginners make, often encouraged by friends. Stick to gentle slopes and do not be persuaded otherwise. The bad habits you will pick up surviving steeper slopes will hold your progression back.

If you can afford daily private lessons that would be great, although for most people (not all!) I think group lessons work better for lower level skiers. Either way I cannot stress enough that a full week of lessons is the best way for you to progress in the sport.

Good luck!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@zikomo, defo #2... it's a physical sport!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@zikomo

Thanks for the feedback and will answer a few points below.

As I am going for the girlfriend a day of private was the best solution other than spending every day apart but will be planning a week on my own next season and getting a lesson every month through the year.

About 15 mins after this I noticed I was not on my shins even earlier and spent the rest of the time making sure I was forward in the boot and trying to keep myself facing downhill instead of turning with my upper body.

I will only be on greens and blues and the other half likes long groomed runs and not reds of blacks and is happy following me even though when I follow her it is much easier as I can just stick to her line and turns become more curved and flowing even though I can't keep up with speed I can still follow the lines.

Thanks for the advice on position. Will work on it
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@zikomo, Covered everything I would have said - just better.

Immediately noticeable: Your hands are "In your pockets" and your Shoulders are swinging about. That will always make life difficult, especially when you combine the two.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Ghostlybadge, I understand it is difficult when it is a couple going on holiday together, and you want to spend time together. That said, morning group lessons are normally a good solution. In most places they will be 2 or 2 1/2 hours, that gives your girlfriend some time to ski at her own pace while you are in lessons (or sleep in/use the spa!). Then meet and ski to lunch, and enjoy the afternoon together. It is definitely worth at least discussing with her.

If you really have to go for the private lessons option, then a few shorter sessions would probably suit your level a bit better. A full day will be very tiring, and it is good to have some time for practice and consolidation. But any instruction at this stage is better than none!

The main reason I am pushing the lessons agenda is not because I want to drum up work for my fellow instructors! It is from bitter personal experience. I dod not take lessons when I started out, relying on natural athleticism and "helpful" friends. I got to the stage where I could get down pretty much everything, but steep/bumpy/icy/slushy was exhausting and I could see that my technique was terrible. It took a HUGE amount of effort, time, and cost to get rid of all the bad habits I have formed. It was a painful process that I would not wish on anyone, despite it also finally being very rewarding. In short, I really hope that you make the right start in out brilliant sport and avoid the mistakes that I made!

Good luck and I hope you and your girlfriend have a great time. Come back here and let us know how you got on!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
looking for a bit of advise on what i should work on..

Some colourful new kit. All black is for assassination-squad baddies. Enjoy!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That's just the stuff for hemel.

My salapetts are blue and jacket is buff and black and white
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
https://imgur.com/a/27RVekS
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zikomo wrote:
@Ghostlybadge, very informative stuff!

Have booked some more private lessons for the mornings so now have 2no 2 hour private and 1 no 3hr private over the 6 days I am skiing with a day off in-between to practice
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tuesday night at hemel is good as they have instructors there that will give you hints and tips. Its a bit adhoc so you could look at their group 6 lessons or look at an improver clinic from InsideOut skiing if they're running before your holidays. Practice and lessons are definitely the key for progression. Its not quick either, but great fun. Welcome Smile
snow conditions
Go on holiday a few times without your partner and have a mix of full day group lessons and some private lessons.

There’s only so much you can do on a snow dome.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy