Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drei Zinnen

Poster: A snowHead
Seen a package option that might suit 3 of us in March to Drei Zinnen.

Looks great for friend who is beginner and will be in ski school and we can get back most lunchtimes to meet her for lunch.

Me and partner might get fed up of tiny ski area over 6 days; are there any linked resorts we can get to for a couple of day trips? Even if a bus ride away?

Hoping Crystal do a ski away day if not.

Looking at hotel Bad Moos and Hotel Baranci, San Candido- anyone stayed either of those and and comments on locations? Bad Moos is looking the nicer hotel however friend who will have to pick up rental apparently has to get a 20 min bus to do so
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven’t any personal experience of this, but Drei Zinnen is supposed to be linked to Plan de Corones / Kronplatz by train.
https://www.skipustertal.com/en/
I can tell you that at the Kronplatz end, the station at Perca / Percha is adjacent to the lift station and you do just walk across the platform from the train onto the lift.
It’s at the base of the “Reid” piste which is quite a long one so you would need to allow time to return or risk missing the train.
The lift up from the train station is about 20 minutes (from memory) and takes you direct to the summit of Kronplatz.
It’s on my list of trips to do (from Kronplatz to Drei Zinnen)
If you do make the trip then I’d be very interested in how it went
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@JHS, brilliant thanks that looks like it opens up what we can do.

Also look less hassle than getting bus anywhere as looks like can just step on train in ski boots and then head up the gondola Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@MCL, the only thing that concerns me a little is that the link to the timetable says it is from 2019/2020
Might be worth a phone call or email to the Tourist Information or hotel or someone just to check that the train is running.
I can’t imagine that it wouldn’t run. But maybe worth checking
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've skied 3 Zinnen as a daytrip when staying near Cortina. We had a car. Did the full skitour to Padola and back which was good fun, you do need two buses unless they have built the connecting lift at the Kreuzberg Pass.

But although there's quite a sense of travel from Vierschach to Padola, it isn't a huge area for a whole week, so catching the train to Kronplatz on a couple of days would be a great idea, and if Crystal lays on an awayday down to Cortina, do that too! snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The train stations at Vierschach (for 3 Zinnen) and Percha (for Kronplatz) are right next to the lift stations. It was designed to be integrated to the ski areas and it's a public railway line, so I can't imagine the trains wouldn't be running along Pustertal regularly as usual, though I've never used them.

You've also got the small Haunold area at Innichen/San Candido and an even smaller hill at Toblach.

Will your friend be learning at Haunold or Helm?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@luigi, Thanks good to hear and makes it more appealing for me

Not sure where the lessons will be- will be wherever Crystal send them (we've now acquired an extra person!) Very Happy Hotel is San Candido so guess lessons will be there
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It sounds interesting - do send some reports and pictures.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How was San Candido? Would be great to hear your review and if you’d recommend it!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
REM1 wrote:
How was San Candido? Would be great to hear your review and if you’d recommend it!

Not sure if the OP is still about, so here's an overview based on my daytrip there...

Decent ski area with the scenic backdrop of the northernmost range of the Dolomites (the red-tinged, sawtooth peaks of the Sexten Dolomites)

It has an Austrian feel until you do the full ski tour and reach Padola in Val Comelico at the southern end. The Venetian campanile lets you know you have crossed a cultural border. The lifts deteriorate, but the food improves! Laughing

There was a plan to build more lifts, creating a full link without need for buses from the Kreuzberg Pass through to Padola and also across the border into Austria linking across to the Sillian ski area. It would certainly make it even more interesting if that all came to fruition.

As it stands, for someone looking to spend a week in the area, it's probably best combined with Kronplatz ski area which is linked by the train line that runs along the Pustertal.

The planned lifts are shown on the piste maps:

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hello, apologies for delay. I did write a post yesterday but it doesn't seem to have posted rolling eyes

We stayed at Hotel Stefania; lovely pool and spa, food reasonably good and rooms spacious. Only downside was getting bus to ski areas.

The smallest ski area was a 5 minute bus ride away or about 20 min walk (found that out as missed the bus as we were stood at wrong bus stop!). The larger ski area is about 10 min bus ride I think.

I would say its a great area for beginners and early intermediates but me and my partner found it a bit small (and we don't mind repeating ourselves a bit) and links to different areas weren't great. Was 2 seasons ago and think there were more planned links happening.

We were a bit limited that we had beginner friends in lessons so returned to the base at larger ski area each day to meet them so mostly ate lunch at base or top of first lift. from what i saw of mountain huts from morning drink stops looked as good at main Sella Ronda area.

As with rest of Dolimiti Superski good efficient lift system and no queues. I think there was one link that wasn't open when we were there and that may have reduced our options a bit. There is the steepest black in Itlay there- it did seem steeper than most Itlalian blacks. There was night skiing at the small Innichen ski area (didn't do it but went up lifts to mountain hut)

We did go to Kronplatz for the day on the train and that felt a bigger ski area. It was a bit of a faff as had to get bus to train station first. We didn't know before we went but there are lockers at train station (no cafe etc) so would have been better to carry ski boots and take snacks and drinks for train home. We skied the red down to station at end of day planning on stopping at hut marked on map for a drink- it was shut and nothing at station. Train we were planning on getting was cancelled so had to wait for next one- not sure if that was unusual for that service or a regular thing. Free travel pass covered the train.

We booked through Crystal. Only issue was we had a complete beginner with us and she had booked 5 days ski school- we presumed (wrongly) that the day not in ski school would be day 6.. no it was day 1 rolling eyes Mad so we spent the first day giving her her first ski lesson which wasn't ideal for anyone!

Wouldn't be in a rush to go back due to busses to lifts and not great linked ski areas- if more links open up in future would consider it.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! The area looks really beautiful - I think we would go for a long weekend with our children. So it seems like there would be plenty to ski if we were based in San Candido! Seems like an underrated place. Thanks again Eh oh!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Train/lift connections are good at Vierschach for Drei Zinnen and Percha for Kronplatz, so if you found a hotel near one of the stations along the Pustertal valley, namely Bruneck-Brunico, Olang-Valdaora, Welsberg-Monguelfo, Niederdorf-Villabassa, Toblach-Dobbiaco or Innichen-San Candido, you could ski both areas easily.

Everywhere in South Tyrol has at least two names, one in German & one in Italian (some have Ladin too). The locals in this part mostly speak German (South Tyrol dialect) as a first language so the German placename is most commonly used.

There was quite a bit of state-sponsored Italianisation after the region was annexed by Italy after WW1, particularly during the Mussolini years, but that was only moderately successful as it all ended with a partisan bullet and to this day some settlements in Pustertal are still in the high 90s percent German-speaking.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very scenic...like most of the Dolomites...

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great photo!
snow conditions
REM1 wrote:
Great photo!

Not mine, just one I grabbed from the Internet! Cool

But shows the peaks of the Sexten Dolomites as the backdrop to the Drei Zinnen ski area.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy