Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Testing 12-15 daily in France

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
I’ve been trawling through all the new guidance and the threads on here about taking teenagers to France.
We’ve got 3 teenagers between 12 and 15 - two are single vaccinated and one had covid in November so not eligible for vaccination yet so they would all need daily testing in resort.
We’re supposed to be going to Morzine in Feb but I can’t get my head round whether daily testing is going to overshadow the holiday and we may spend ages in queues waiting for tests and stressing over whether one of them might test positive (not to mention the added cost) or whether if we want to ski this year we just have to get on with it and this is the compromise.
Has anyone done it as I know the rules were similar before Christmas and Italy was previously similar - was it a nightmare or pretty easy and worth it to get on the slopes??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Read the recent Morzine source post on their website it has lots of detail. The pharmacy is very well geared up and has a daily testing capacity of 3000. The only people needing daily testing are most likely to be UK teens 12-16. Theres not 1000s of them - you’ll be fine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't speak for Morzine, but here in Serre Chevalier the queues are out the doors in pharmacies with all the testing going on......
Speaking from experience, both I and LynnX have been pinged this week and had to take 6 LFTs between us......,.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both, my gut is just to go for it as the other option is not going at all, my husband is more cautious and is worrying about it all ……
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why not try Italy?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My understanding is that we won’t be able to get a super green pass as they aren’t fully vaccinated and that from 10th jan we would need this in Italy?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Applegate, in your situation as far as I can gather Switzerland is your only option that doesn’t involve daily or 48 hourly (Austria) testing. If I have read it correctly they understand 18’s take on parent’s status there
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah sorry. I wrongly assumed they'd had Covid and recovered. Apologies.

I'm currently looking at taking my 17 and 12 Yr old to either Italy but Andorra and trying to work out what the French authorities are saying about travelling through from Toulouse.

It's a minefield, the daily testing thing is putting me off France. I can only prove recovery for the eldest.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You’re right it’s a complete minefield. I don’t think we can do Austria either as you have to have a birthday after sept 2006 which my 15 year old doesn’t!
I had been put off Switzerland due to price but weighed up against 3 teens being tested daily it might be the better option!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Applegate, Could you postpone till Easter and get the teens double vaccinated by then?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm in the same boat - I've already booked appointments at the main pharmacy in Morzine using the Doctolib app - this gives you a time slot but we'll wait and see if actually works
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Applegate wrote:
You’re right it’s a complete minefield. I don’t think we can do Austria either as you have to have a birthday after sept 2006 which my 15 year old doesn’t!
I had been put off Switzerland due to price but weighed up against 3 teens being tested daily it might be the better option!

Yes this did us too. Although there were some reasonable looking options we found via Air BnB.

I presume you are avoiding Easter like us due to your 15 yr old sitting GCSE (fingers firmly crossed)?

I presume you already have flights booked?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes avoiding easter due to GCSEs. We’ll drive not fly and have got a euro tunnel booked, having spent all last evening going round in circles again with options (or lack of!) I think perhaps the best is scrapping France and driving to Switzerland instead.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had to do the testing at Xmas with a single vaunted teenager, albeit not in morzine (tho friends were there and had similar experience to me). It was seamless and nothing like the drama people feared.

Evening appointment after skiing, sometimes a queue of up to 10 mins but usually nothing. Take test, results texted as a link within 30 mins, link produces certificate direct into app. Off to dinner at a restaurant, ski the next day.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Applegate, what about Andora going through France?

My other suggestion was going to be Sweden but obviously that’s no good
ski holidays
On current rules, Switzerland is the most appealing option. But I’d wait and see what the OFFICIAL guidance for >12s is in France. There’s a lot of confusion / contradictory information splattered across here and other sites at the moment.
snow report
@Applegate, i was supposed to be going to les menuires in feb, with my 18 and 15yo, eldest is fine but youngest is not due her 2nd jab until late jan.

unless i can get some form of letter with a QR code, although it seems that this may be possible, the time frame is tight, she will need daily testing.

in early December i had booked daily tests for her, along with one of the kids of our friends we were going with, at the main pharmacy in the croisette area through the Doctolib website.

But last weekend i received emails from the doctolib website cancelling all the appointments, with no reason given. i have tried contacting the pharmacy to find out why, but to no avail, after contacting the Tourist office the only suggestion they could give me, would be to get tested in the pharmacy in reberty area.
this would mean either getting a bus between the two districts or last lift then ski back, and even if i could get the appointments, the logistics of it is massive PITA!!!

i spoke to my friend last night, and he is leaning on cancelling, but has until early feb to pull the plug on it.

i have until tomorrow afternoon to cancel the whole thing with either refunds or credit vouchers to use for a future trip, am looking to go over christmas instead, as unable to go this easter, where hopefully by then it will all be easier to travel by then.
snow report
Terrygasson it’s such a challenge to know what to do and so frustrating. I just know the hassle and risk of testing daily might ruin the holiday but equally maybe it’s what we need to do if we want to have a holiday!
ski holidays
Is it not possible to complete antigen tests taken with us that provide a QR code?
ski holidays
This was going to be a question I asked. Does anyone know / has anyone used the online tests (with a video) that provide a result with a certificate. These generate a QR code. Just means I can do this with my daughter every evening without having to worry about finding somewhere / queuing etc. There are plenty of gov recommended online testers that do the "fit to fly" for anywhere from £15-£25 and result and certificate are back within a few hours. I would just purchase 8 of these and scan in the QR code into the French app. This I presume is all assuming the amendment to the law is finally approved which if not mistaken hasn't officially happened yet or has it??? Very Happy
snow conditions
I am just the same. My Travel Agent has said yes, this is possible. I was going to use C19 Lateral flow pre-departure test & travel certificate
According to their site: 'These countries accept antigen tests:'

France
Italy
Poland
Switzerland
UK
Greece
Finland
latest report
Currently £20 per test x
snow report
specialKs2022 wrote:
This was going to be a question I asked. Does anyone know / has anyone used the online tests (with a video) that provide a result with a certificate. These generate a QR code. Just means I can do this with my daughter every evening without having to worry about finding somewhere / queuing etc. There are plenty of gov recommended online testers that do the "fit to fly" for anywhere from £15-£25 and result and certificate are back within a few hours. I would just purchase 8 of these and scan in the QR code into the French app. This I presume is all assuming the amendment to the law is finally approved which if not mistaken hasn't officially happened yet or has it??? Very Happy

From my understanding of the guidance this almost certainly needs to be done in person at the Pharmacy

Appears fairly straight forward to pre- book online in Morzine via doctolib

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 17-01-22 13:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
C19 etc work to get into the country. They don’t work for Pass Sanitaire, unless I am very much mistaken. The only tests that work for Pass Sanitaire are those taken at a French pharmacy.
ski holidays
@Busymum, Excalibur prices have recently dropped to £12.95

However think people are talking cross purposes here.

Those tests are acceptable for entry into the country’s. I am of the understanding that they can’t be used for the French pass sanitare which is needed to enter restaurants, for ski lifts and ski lessons, if you are only single vaccinated
snow report
We are Les Gets and I have emailed them, very helpful and have a walk in no appointment system. But the Travel Agent is saying the ones we take with us work!
snow conditions
Busymum, you can easily test your theory. Take one C19 test, get the QR code and scan it into TAC Verif. If it gives the green tick then it works.
latest report
Busymum, you can easily test your theory. Take one C19 test, get the QR code and scan it into TAC Verif. If it gives the green tick then it works.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Busymum, I agree with NickyJ and swoafs. UK self-test are ok for entry, but not for Pass Sanitaire.

I have two test certificates in front of me with barcodes, neither is scanned successfully by the TAC-Verif app - what they use to check for Pass Sanitaire

You could check by ordering a kit, doing the test, getting the certificate and scanning with TAC-Verif.
If the agent is confident, ask them to refund the test cost if they are wrong. wink

Edited: Ha! yes Laughing
snow report
Good idea regarding the refund.
Yes, I will purchase one and see if it uploads x
ski holidays
@Busymum, how about trying this before you go? You could buy a test here, and try scanning the resulting QR code with the TousAntiCovid app, and then try (with another device that has the TAC Verif app) checking that this passes. I don't know of a reason why it would make a difference whether you were physically in France or the UK when doing all this (but I could be wrong).

Short of testing it like this (or hearing from someone who has tried it in practice), I wouldn't be at all confident of what your travel agent is telling you.

Edit: sorry, others have already made the same suggestion!
snow report
I don't think those QR codes work. I was referring to a service where you use the test sent, you record your sessions whilst performing the test, then upload. They review, confirm the result and email you with an actual QR test certificate that you use to upload to the French app, not the QR on the stick. That's for NHS only I believe when uploading a result.
snow conditions
specialKs2022 wrote:
I was referring to a service where you use the test sent, you record your sessions whilst performing the test, then upload. They review, confirm the result and email you with an actual QR test certificate that you use to upload to the French app, not the QR on the stick.

I think everyone else was referring to the same sort of QR code on a test certificate as you - I certainly was!
latest report
@specialKs2022, we're referring to those QR codes on the results certificates as well. Got 6 LFT certificates (+ 3x PCR) from a rather hurried trip over Xmas. wink
snow report
Ah ok all, I thought you were referring to the little QR code on the actually test strip! Sorry!!
snow conditions
Those QR codes don't work on the TAC app and showing them the QR code on your email won't work either - already tried by a friend of ours last week. We cancelled our Feb holiday in Morzine as testing our 13yr old daily just seemed too pose too many problems. I did have daily appointments booked on the doctolib app, but in the end realised it would impact on other areas of our holiday too much AND there was of course the worry of getting a positive (even a false positive) result and being stuck out there. Now going in Easter hols. Also have a 16yr old with exams but we are just going to have to set aside study time. School/Govt has been telling us for the past 2yrs how good remote learning can be, so remote we shall do!
latest report
The French government aren't doing themselves any favours if they don't clearly articulate what the (insert swear word) requirements (both for entering France and for the Passe Sanitaire / Vaccinal) are for unvaccinated or single jabbed teens over the next couple of days - how hard can it be? The Austrians, Italians and the Swiss seem to have managed this much better. A clear definition of a "minor" would also help. They're really letting ski resorts and small businesses across the French Alps down.
ski holidays
It’s possible to get a second dose for 12-15 yr olds after 8 weeks from first dose in some centres in the London Borough of Ealing - presumably as there is high prevalence in the community there. Hope this helps some of you!
snow conditions
KenX wrote:
Can't speak for Morzine, but here in Serre Chevalier the queues are out the doors in pharmacies with all the testing going on......
Speaking from experience, both I and LynnX have been pinged this week and had to take 6 LFTs between us......,.

Hi Ken,
We are coming to Serre chevalier next week. Are the teenagers still having to test every day and are the queues still out the doors? Do you have any idea how long people are having to wait?
Thanks

Jon
latest report
In France at the moment. My 2 teenagers have the QR code for recovery and using that on the pass Sanitaire with no problems at all. To be completely honest nobody has ever checked the ID on the pass Sanitaire, it is just a ping on the cafes and restaurants device. Interpret that how u want! x
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy