Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Going Home, Going Home, I'm A Going Home...

Poster: A snowHead
Well Saturday anyway, from Bozel.

This will be the return leg of only our second driving trip. Thing is, on the way out, Bitchin' Betty (satnav) took us for a nice trip around C de G airport and the Paris outskirts, which she didn't do when we went to Morillon in 2020.

Can the regular drivers point me to Calais without the city tour please, ta. I seem to recall Troyes being on the route of many of you as a stopover, so might that be a good 'via' to put in? Any tips gratefully accepted, tolls not a problem, I just want easy motorway driving. Thanks.

CG
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Charliegolf, You can still end up in Paris from Troyes, maybe put Reims as a waypoint.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Best route is via Troyes and Reims.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rjs, @RobinS, As I thought, thanks both.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was about to say te same, put Rheims as a waypoint to ensure you take the straightforward route and not via Paris. (Otherwise it could take you off to Paris from Troyes; mind you there is another Paris route from Rheims if your satnav is really determined to take you out of your way).

To be honest, while I can't explain the quirks of your satnav, the route is so easy that all you need to do is write down a list of autoroute numbers to follow. You need to end up on the A26.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just buy a map and tell the sat nav to shut up.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A26 is your friend as said before
Watch out for swerve as you approach south side of dijon
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
robs1 wrote:
Just buy a map and tell the sat nav to shut up.
Or look at a map on a computer before, decide on a route, note down the main waypoints, and just follow the signs.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can avoid going anywhere near Lyon as well, if you don't mind cutting across country. D1504 from Chambery to Amberieu-en-Bugey. Follow (green) signs for Bourg-en-Bresse. You possibly may prefer to stick to motorways as it's only your second driving trip, though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, we call ours "Bitching Betty" (or just "Betty") as well. My two penny worth is to set it to "fastest" rather than "shortest distance", key in some waypoints and about 20 miles before each waypoint delete it from the route. Doing this takes you towards the waypoint (often a town centre) but you then use the by-pass, ring road, whatever to go towards the next waypoint. As an example, 20 miles before Reims delete it from the route so that you go around the city rather than into the middle.
I prefer the route that @195062 mentions - past Chambéry city, up the hill overlooking the lake and then a pleasant crosscountry drive to Ambérieu-en-Bugey (cheaper fuel in Intermarché!). This route has featured before on Snowheads - a waypoint to use would be Belley.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bump

Left Bozel around 0930 Local yesterday, arrived home in Port Talbot 0200 France time! Approx 15 hrs driving, ave speed 60 mph ish. First 2 and a half hours were in dreadful traffic- all the way to Lyon, I'd say. After that, speed limit as allowed, fairly clear roads. France was easy, UK side was awful weather, getting steadily worse as we went west. Route was Bozel, Chamberey, Lyon, Troyes, Reims Calais.

Now, the traffic going the other way.... (First day of the French school hols?)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Charliegolf, For future reference going south: Calais/ Tunnel - head south on A26 (Reims/ Troyes), at Troyes take A5 south towards Dijon (NOT Paris), at Dijon take A6 south towards Lyon etc. When busy you could take the A39 south instead as it tends to be quieter and less frantic. If you have someone who speaks French, tune to 107.7FM for autoroute info. Write the route down and have it on a card you can see - useful when the others have fallen asleep wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All you need to know, on the French motorways, is a handful of key towns, in order. Then STOP following signs to town A, once you have signs to town B. Repeat. Troyes is a nice town, but you might prefer to whizz past on the autoroute, rather than find yourself in the centre. Driving north, Calais is signed from MILES AND MILES away, and then the various ferry and tunnel locations are well signposted too, as you get closer. Absolutely no need for a satnav, and they are particularly treacherous for the unwary in the mountains.

And, of course, French satnavs all assume you want to go to Paris. Just like the road networks does. But you can tell them to foutre le camp.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep, the earlier advice was perfect. And this is a bloke who used maps for a living at 50 feet and 130 knots! Laziness- pure and simple. Won't be caught out again.@pam w, That's how yesterday actually went Pam.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Charliegolf, Going down just follow A26 Lyon, coming home at Beaune follow A31 follow Lille Dijon. As long as you get those right satnav should be good.
ski holidays
Quote:

this is a bloke who used maps for a living at 50 feet and 130 knots!

Laughing
snow conditions
I prefer navigating at sea. Everything happens SO much more slowly. But it's still the case that sometimes people punch a destination into their chart plotter and fail to notice that a straight line between their current position and destination runs across chunks of Dorset.....
ski holidays
Charliegolf, it is interesting how we all - well most of us - have at one time or another put complete blind faith into our Satnav.
I now always use Google Maps as well.
1. Check out the Google Map route on computer at home before setting off. And zero in on any tricky bits with Streetview.
2. Then have partner with Google Maps running on phone during the journey. Google Maps always seems quicker on picking up problems, and Satnav quite often misinterprets a closed Aire as a closed motorway.
latest report
Bit late now... But here's a thread on the route to Calais
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1090692&highlight
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy