Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Choosing a resort in April, close to Milano

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,
We are a family of 5 adults, will be landing in Milano (9th-April) for a 5 days ski trip. I'm looking for advice regarding what resort will be best for us, snow-wise and transport-wise.
We have only been to Andorra (Grandvalira) and Bansko (Bulgaria) before so we are not familiar with any resorts in Italy/France. From what I'm reading online the best option will be Val Thorens, however we don't have an option to fly to Lyon/Geneva, we will definitely have to land at Milano. Any advice? Is the trip from Milano to Val Thorens due able? (we can rent a car but never drove in snow) or are there any closer good resorts closer to Milano that will have enough snow this time of the year?
Also, our ski level is from intermediate (blue and easy reds) to advances (black and relaxed off-pistes)

Thank you all!
Maor
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't skied there for a very long time, but Cervinia might be a good option - high and pretty good snow record for late-season skiing. Also a lot closer to Milan than Val Thorens is.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never been but Livigno is meant to be pretty reliable late season.
You could fairly easily get from Milan to Orelle through the Frejus tunnel which accesses Val Thorens skiing.
Cervinia is also reachable.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cervinia is your best bet.

Or Sass Fee/Zermatt in Switzerland - it is about the same transfer time from Milan as from Geneva.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank guys so much! I will look into all of these options, especially Cervinia which is so close. How about Passo Tonale? Has anyone been there and know if it's any good?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you do a search there are lots of references to Passo Tonale. Cervinia a much better bet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cervinia is south facing. The sun nukes it in spring.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mother hucker, so is Passo Tonale though!

Passo Tonale is OK, but only OK. I haven't visited Cervinia but my instinct is that it would be a better bet as @pam w says. You could also look at La Thuile.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
9th April is getting late for Italy, could be very snowy, but could also be very melty, most resorts usually give up around Easter and it falls very late this year. So a lot of resorts plan to shut down on 10th.

Cervinia with access to Zermatt glacier would be a good bet, easiest access from Milan in just over 2 hours, lower runs could be suffering in the sunshine. Livigno stays open until 1st May, but longer drive. La Thuile plans to stay open until 18th and usually retains decent snow on N-facing runs.

Passo Tonale has the Presena glacier which stays open through April.

Some others to consider, but a 4 hour plus drive:

Kronplatz in South Tyrol stays open until 24th and often retains good snow on its mainly North facing slopes.

There are also two N-facing glacier ski areas in South Tyrol that stay open until 1st May, Sulden/Solda & Schnalstal-Kurzras/ Val Senales-Maso Corto.

Check them all out here:
https://www.bergfex.com/italien/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The southern Alps have an extremely dry winter this year. In large parts of Piemonte precipitation is 40% of average.

Cervinia is an exception to this. Less good than normal, but still good. Livigno alsof extremely snowsure. Tonale much less so.

Knowing the areas, I would give Tonale 5/10, Livigno 7/10 and Cervinia 8/10. Tonale is a bleak purpose built cluster of hotels, wouldn't call it a village. Livigno is old, authentic and taxfree. Cervinia also purpose built but goes back to 1920 and much more charm. People actually live there all year.

The western Piemonte resorts (Via Lattea) have a very difficult winter due to lack of snow, and none forecasted for the next 3 weeks. I would not be surprised if they would close earlier than planned.

Also interesting from Milan: Andermatt. You van get there by train, very nice ski area, and at the moment litterally plastered with snow.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

http://youtube.com/v/g56Tr7iwH_0
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just to point out that there are two Milan airports, Malpensa and Bergamo. My sons school trip regularly goes to a small swiss resort just s of Grindelwald, and we nearly always fly to Malpensa.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
joffy69 wrote:
Just to point out that there are two Milan airports, Malpensa and Bergamo. My sons school trip regularly goes to a small swiss resort just s of Grindelwald, and we nearly always fly to Malpensa.

There are three if you are counting Bergamo - there's Linate, which I think, is to the south-east of the city!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Monte Rosa, Alanga or Gressoney.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think Bormio is a great option. Most of the skiing on the main mountain is above 2000m and roughly north-facing so the snow should hold up for April. With the lift pass, you can ski in Santa Caterina which is also above 1800m and roughly north-facing too. You can also visit Livigno which is a bit more of a drive but quite scenic and enjoyable at the same time.

Bormio is about a 3 hour drive from Milan, but well worth it in my opinion. Further, the town of is 'only' at 1200m and there are tunnels for most of the last 15 kms into the valley - hence, I'd say you are unlikely to experience difficult driving conditions when driving to resort. You'll find a collection of good 3, 4 or 5 star hotels at much better rates than most other resorts. I've stayed at both Hotel Eden and Hotel Rezia and both were excellent - quite different styles of hotel though. In town, it's very pleasant to walk around in the evening, the Clem 'Pub' and the other bar opposite it are both nice places for evening drinks. Lots of good value restaurants serving excellent Italian food at good rates.

I do wonder why Bormio is not frequented more. If the skiing available on the lift pass was connected, more people would go (in my opinion). But with a car, it's easy to visit all the different areas and quite enjoyable too. A bit quieter than the normal ski resort, but livens up at weekends with Italians.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy