Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Last minute ski holiday

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Maybe going skiing in March depending on covid.

Just wondering where the best place is to book last minute,

Is it best to do it individually or as a package?

Any tips

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Seems a daft question - there is no advantage other than chasing the snow to doing it DIY last minute, everything from airfare to car hire will likely be more expensive and finding accommodation may be a ballache.

No idea about TO package bargains but I understand the bargain bucket clearance deals have been much reduced in recent years and with the demise of the chalet hol and flexible contracting on flights then I suspect may not be much and to get a real bargain you might need to hold your nerve until day before travel.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You need to be clearer about your objectives, @Skioilers. To save money? To be sure of best snow? Because you're not going to decide about the Covid situation till the last minute but will then have a decent budget? And what sort of accommodation do you want, could you drive if it makes sense, etc etc etc etc
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In the past, some of the independent UK chalet operators have offered last minute (within a week of travel) discounts (at Christmas at least. In March I'd guess any last minute discounts would be more likely towards the end of March when it's less busy). That said, most of those operators who I've got a last minute discount from have either gone bust, or stopped doing ski holidays, which may or may not be a coincidence.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try regularly checking the major tour operators - be flexible for where and when. Keep an eye on their availability for March now, and the prices as they could go up as well as down!
I managed a decent last minute package last month - last minute for me being 7 days prior to departure (did not want to leave it any closer due to booking PCR tests).
I'm sure if you are flexible enough there will be something somewhere - just how much of a bargain it is - who knows!
Good luck
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
You need to be clearer about your objectives, @Skioilers. To save money? To be sure of best snow? Because you're not going to decide about the Covid situation till the last minute but will then have a decent budget? And what sort of accommodation do you want, could you drive if it makes sense, etc etc etc etc

We live in Aberdeen so driving is a big no.

We could fly from Aberdeen, Edinburgh or Glasgow.

3 star hotel minimum.

We have no budget but obviously don’t want to pay too much.

We’re deciding based on the covid situation.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Last minute at a decent price is always more difficult from Scotland than England, and particularly this year.

Last minute tour operator deals invariably have flights departing from (southern) England. Additionally there's a far smaller choice of flights to the Alps this year from Scotland due to Covid.

Then there is the issue of car hire prices being extra high this year, and possibly even higher at the last minute.

Accommodation shouldn't be too much if a problem in March though. What about booking flights to an airport within easy reach of multiple ski areas, along with travel insurance that will pay out if you decide not to travel? (And refundable car hire to match those flights, if you want to drive to resort.)

Generally speaking I find DIY much better value from Scotland, even if booking 1-2 weeks before. (I can't comment on a few days before, which would be truly last minute!)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

What about booking flights to an airport within easy reach of multiple ski areas, along with travel insurance that will pay out if you decide not to travel? (And refundable car hire to match those flights, if you want to drive to resort.)

@denfinella has nailed it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If it's 2 people, a last minute package with a TO is often cheaper than DIY, mainly because of transfer costs which are quite high. I've priced up DIY to Flaine, an hour or so transfer from Geneva and have found comparatively cheaper TO deals. With 3 or more people it's generally cheapest to drive and book your own accommodation.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Skioilers, if I were you just have a look on some of the big names website in the week running up to when you want to leave.

Crystalski
Inghams
Skiworld

As an example for this Saturday departures some of the better deals are:

Crystal ski:

Mayrhofen B&B flying from Edinburgh £453pp
Courmayeur HB flying from Glasgow £461pp
Sauze d'Oulx HB flying from Glasgow £570pp

Inghams

Champoluc Chalet hotel flying from Edinburgh £599pp

Skiworld (Newcastle and Manchester the nearest airports)

No deals for this weekend.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Skioilers,

I too live in Scotland (Moray) so feel your pain ref departure airports. I think you can get Easyjet from ABZ to GVA up to the end of March, otherwise I think you're looking at GLA or EDI. I have flown from MAN before but it's along drive, but the deal was amazing so it was worth it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you’re going to go with a package, if you see something that you like then book it. 30% off is probably the best that you’ll get this year, especially if you’re not going to fly from London.

DIY doesn’t usually save that much money, like for like, once you add up all the expenses. Main benefit is flexibility.

If you’re looking at the websites, beware, a lot of the holidays that are shown just don’t exist.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One last point. At the moment, availability changes minute by minute, so do your searches frequently as something may become available at any time.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flights do come down in price sometimes. We’d all had covid mid January so decided to get a ski trip organised for half term. I booked flights 2 weeks before departure. The BA flight was cheaper and we got a suite reduced as well. Our transfer costs were high though but we booked a taxi which was super comfortable and quicker than a coach would have been. And not a horridly pre-dawn departure from the resort either Smile
It was cheaper than anything Crystal were offering to boot.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy