Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva airport

Poster: A snowHead
It has neen many years since we have flown to Geneva and since we have, we have changed how we get cash out to using Reolut card at airport to extract local currency. We are staying in Italy and want Euros. I have only just twigged getting cash at airport will most likely give me Swiss Francs. I presume there aren't cash machines there which dispense euros fee free?

Second question. Having taken up Revolut free platinum upgrade trial, i could purchase lounge access for £20. In the past i would have felt that was worth as can get lunch and drink in them. However there seem to changes post Covid meaning self service of food and drink us no more. Gas anybody used any of Air France KLM, Dnata Skyview, Horizon Swissport? Who can comment on a recent experience?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@NickyJ, cant comment on experience of the lounges but had been looking at them, they do have different opening times and some not very late so check if your flight is at an odd time which are actually available to you.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@NickyJ, the UBS machines at arrivals give out €s. No idea what fees apply to e.g. Revolut cards.

No idea on lounges ... none were open our last run thru!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ster wrote:
@NickyJ, cant comment on experience of the lounges but had been looking at them, they do have different opening times and some not very late so check if your flight is at an odd time which are actually available to you.

Yes I noticed this! There was a 4th offered but that closes at 13:30. We have a 15:50 departure time
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
@NickyJ, the UBS machines at arrivals give out €s. No idea what fees apply to e.g. Revolut cards.

No idea on lounges ... none were open our last run thru!

Thanks. Revolut don't charge but not all cash machines are free for debit cards.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@NickyJ, in the grand scheme of things ...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
@NickyJ, in the grand scheme of things ...

True Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cant comment on those particular lounges mentioned above but I was in the No1 Lounge at LHR T3 in December and the only covid restriction was to wear a mask whilst walking around away from your table. Everything else was the same.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Are you getting a private transfer to resort (Morzine isn’t it?)? If so they’re normally happy to pull over at a cash point en route. Far less stressful than trying to locate a suitable ATM with all your family and luggage in tow.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lounges at Geneva were all closed before a 9pm flight on a Wednesday evening in January.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Btw, pro tip with the Revolut card on return. You can buy stuff in € or CHF in GVA, but their exchange rate is horrific between the two. Before you’re about to buy anything, transfer enough into CHF for the transaction and then just transfer any remaining balance straight back.

I saved about £10 doing this when buying lunch for 6 people!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Timmycb5, we have had to cancel the Morzine one (due to rest if party pulling out as they weren't going to get both vaccines in time fir 13yr olds). Now going to Champoluc. Haven't been there before, but when we stayed Gressoney side of region i wouldn't want to rely on finding cash machine in resort.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Double post

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 2-02-22 10:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Timmycb5, thanks for tip. Although i tend to use Halifax mostly when cards are accepted....i will bear that in mind
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@NickyJ, I use Revolut for everything when I’m abroad. The mid price exchanging makes it the most cost effective method.
ski holidays
@NickyJ, We are going to Champoluc also! Flying evening Friday 11 Feb Edinburgh to Milan with my three boys, Wife and daughter are flying from Stansted to Milan on Monday 14th to join us. Never been before but really looking forward to it!
snow conditions
@NickyJ, go to the prunier caviar and fish bar and poor rates will be a distant blur as the noughts are put on your bill.
snow conditions
@Timmycb5, buying anything anywhere with € in CH is going to sting!
latest report
@zikomo, nice! Just hoping we get q bit more snow coming in, in next couple of weeks Smile

We are the week after you
latest report
@NickyJ, Yes it looks a bit dry to be honest. You have a bit more time so more chance of there being snow before you go. I would love to see good conditions but frankly at this point I will just be glad to be back in the mountains.

Will let you know how we get on/conditions/cool stuff we find if you want?
latest report
@under a new name, that’s what makes Revolut so good. I can have dozens of different currencies on one card with mid price exchanging. I love it.
latest report
I was in BA lounge at Geneva at the weekend, though imagine it's similar to the other lounges. Table service was very fast. Some cold drinks (including beer) and coffee were available for self service.

One word of warning: get to the gate early. There was a big queue for exit passport checks.
ski holidays
@HilbertSpace, thankyou! Reading the reviews i have found... really not sure it will be worth it and with that warning, makes it definitely a no as we are going half term i expecting queues to be worse
snow report
For flying back from Geneva:
1. Buy/make your snacks and sandwiches in resort before you get on your transfer. GVA is one of the few times resort prices are lower then non-resort ones!
2. Even if you don't have lounge access follow the sights for it when you come out of security. There are loads of public seats up there but few down in the main concourse - and most people don't know about them.
ski holidays
@NickyJ, the Air France/KLM lounge at GVA is pretty small & low-key - self service drinks, snacks/sandwiches/salads etc (at least when I have been in there over the last few months..), doesn't rank particularly high on my list (though better than Lyon where the AF lounge is still closed...).
latest report
HilbertSpace wrote:
I was in BA lounge at Geneva at the weekend, though imagine it's similar to the other lounges. Table service was very fast. Some cold drinks (including beer) and coffee were available for self service.

One word of warning: get to the gate early. There was a big queue for exit passport checks.

It took us 40 minutes to get through the exit passport checks last Saturday. Can't imagine half term week! Shocked
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

I don't know whether Revolut will be different, but I've never been able to get money from the UBS € machines at Geneva arrivals using my Travelex Cash Passport Globe card. CHF from the other machines have never been a problem.

Maybe I've just been unlucky and every machine has been out of Euros every time I've tried, but just wanted to warn you, just in case.
ski holidays
@jebroni3_16, thanks for heads up!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jebroni3_16, I know that at busy times they do run out.
snow report
Most Swiss cash machines will give you the option of chf or euros
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
Most Swiss cash machines will give you the option of chf or euros

That's been my experience too. I nearly always get a €200 out at Geneva Airport, have just gone to a cash machine and tried (might well be the same one each time though!) Not been charged any extra fees (used Nationwide debit, Revolut and Halifax Clarity over the years).
snow report
@Timmycb5, I use Revolut everywhere abroad now , when settling a hotel bill for several thousand euros it can save £50 , but here's a question for you , i have a chunk of money in a euro Revolut account and much less money in a sterling Revolut account , so when i go to settle my half term Verbier hotel CHF bill ( which will be sizeable ) do you know if it will just take it from the euro Revolut account ?
I suppose i should ask Revolut themselves but thought you might know
snow report
----- THREAD REVIVAL ------

News from GVA that they have installed 30 extra self-service check-in points for easyJet.

NEW SELF-SERVICE BAGGAGE DROP-OFF AREA FOR EASYJET. 07.11.2023

Since the beginning of October 2023, a new self-service baggage drop-off area has been in place for easyJet passengers. Thanks to 30 automated check-in kiosks, the airline's passengers can now drop off their hold baggage before going through security. Checking in is simple and convenient. Passengers go through the kiosk to obtain the baggage tag and then go to the counter to drop off their baggage. Passengers can still get help from staff throughout the process, and people with special mobility needs can still use a traditional desk for this part of the journey. Passengers who have their boarding card following online check-in and who have no hold baggage can go directly to the security checkpoint. These improvements will significantly reduce waiting times and enhance the passenger experience in the check-in area.

{I thought it better to just revive the thread for its title, rather than start a new one. SO it can act as a single point for any GVA-specific information}

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 14-11-23 16:57; edited 4 times in total
snow report
slightly shorter version Happy

https://www.gva.ch/en/Site/Passagers/News/2023/Nouvelle-zone-de-depose-bagages-easyjet
snow report
Let’s hope this is a queue killer!
ski holidays
This sounds like very good news. We waited AGES in May - not a peak time, not school holidays, no particular reason.
snow report
We then waited AGES again for passport control. Took so long that an already delayed flight had to be delayed even more because checked-in passengers, with checked-in bags, were stuck in the queue. It was the most standing around I've experienced anywhere - and I've done a lot of third world travel through tin-pot airports in Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific. And you walk miles in Gva too. It's all terribly posh and architectural but....... shocking customer experience.
snow conditions
@pam w, I don't think GVA voted for Brexit Happy

I'm not quite sure they've adequately scaled for having e.g. 3 x full 777s heading off at the same time Puzzled
snow report
I used the new Easyjet self-service bag things in Geneva in early October. They were very simple - but defaulted to French, which a friend struggled with. There is a language select button which she didn't immediately see.

And the airport was very quiet at the time, so we didn't have to use them under pressure.

I've used similar things before, in much busier queues, and wasn't a fan. Mostly as if things start going wrong, it can be a real pain to find someone to help when people are constantly moving and blocking and jostling each other, and multiple people need help.

The Geneva ones did look like they might be a bit better, but time will tell!
snow report
We did self service bag thing in Gatwick on way to Geneva - there was a helpful man hovering, who helped when we were being a bit "elderly" faced with the machines. It was just one of the things which impressed me at Gatwick - the efficiency and courtesy of the security line was also notable.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy