Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid April Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Want to go to Europe 4/15 or 4/16 for a week. Want the best bet for good snow and a fun location. Looking at Zermatt or St Anton, but there are so many areas, I'm completely overwhelmed about where stay.

New member... and have had a very busy 2 weeks. To tell you the rest of the story. My 23 yo daughter is in Milan for 9 months so my husband, 18 yo and 20 yo went to visit her over Christmas, and we planned a dream trip to Gindelwald, Switzerland. Italy was fun... traveling around, but the big event was skiing with the family. Soooo, we tested to get into Switzerland, and my husband & I tested positive and we had to isolate in Milan... NIGHTMARE!
We lost our trip to Switzerland, and spent the entire time afraid we would be homeless and not knowing when we would get back to the States. Luckily, the family that my daughter was/is living with, was away skiing at the time, & allowed us to stay at there house in Milan, but we didn't know what would happen when they got back. My 2 younger kids were negative & went right back to NJ, (& my son took off to Colorado to ski Vail with his college buddies... Ugh!), and my older daughter then tested positive too. Luckily my husband & I didn't get sick (my daughter did a bit), and we ended up getting back to the USA after getting a letter of recovery from a doctor (Very long story).
So I just booked a ski trip to Killington, Vermont, with my 2 kids that are here in the states, and my youngest, who goes to college at the University of Vermont, just fell when getting off a ski lift, and may need surgery. (ugh again!) That Vermont ski trip is now in jeopardy.
My older daughter will still be in Italy till the summer and I really want to visit during my break which I mentioned above. Now that my Vermont ski trip may not happen, and my Grindelwald trip was destroyed, I am really hoping to get to Europe in April.
I am really wondering what the Covid situation is in Europe and how the winter snowfall has been and what the prediction will be for April. Maybe I'm just not meant to ski this season. Sad
I appreciated all the great messages from this group! Thanks so much...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 12-02-22 3:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Many places closed or greatly reduced by then- so that should help!, Zermatt is a good choice also Tignes, ischgl or Val Thorens imv. ‘Fun’ likely to be different this year - what fun do you want!? If it’s fin de siecle louche I suspect all will do that,
This is useful - resorts vs closing dates: https://www.skiresort.info/snow-reports/seasonend/europe/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome btw Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know I will be lambasted by StAnton heads here but April just way too late for St Anton, much of the resort faces South and there isn't that much skiing above 2000m, if will be complete slush fest from mid morning. If you want Austria try Ischgl where skiing effectively starts at 2000m
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Val thorens is still going strong throughout April
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
peanuthead wrote:
I know I will be lambasted by StAnton heads here but April just way too late for St Anton, much of the resort faces South and there isn't that much skiing above 2000m, if will be complete slush fest from mid morning. If you want Austria try Ischgl where skiing effectively starts at 2000m

You say that like it's a bad thing wink Seriously, more people should embrace the slushy bumps! Most fun you'll have on piste, ever.

But your point is of course correct: in April St Anton will either be getting one of the late season storms with powder deep into the valley (expect 1, sometimes 2 of these in the month), or warm, sunny and slushy. If your idea of 'good snow' is perfectly groomed pistes it's not the best option - the Lech side of the Arlberg would be better, but tbh Ischgl would be even better.

Snow depths won't be a problem in any of those resorts though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@clarky999, slushy bumps rule
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ischgl seems to tick the boxes. Obergurgl would too - resort is at 1930m so all skiing is high and facing mostly west/north west, but that's a quiet resort so may not fit your idea of fun - at least after the slopes close (there's the Neiderhutte of course).

Very little skiing in Ischgl is BELOW 2000m, and much is a north-westerly aspect.

Ischgl is not cheap though, mostly 4 (or 5) star hotels, and you usually have to go Sat to Sat

The best snow so far this year has fallen in Austria - in any case Austrian snowmaking is the best along with Italy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm off to Saas-Fee for a few days on April 18; I usually go there or to Engelberg for a mid to late April trip.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We go to Sass Fee every spring. Lovely village, guaranteed snow and often really good conditions. It is not the biggest in terms of kms of piste but there is good variety, and the off-piste is much under-rated (and under-utilised).

Zermatt is very special also, have been quite a few times. There will be similar conditions to Sass Fee (it is the next valley along and equally high slopes). Best mountain restaurants in the world in my view, we quite often make a day trip from Sass Fee for a great lunch!

Depends what you are looking for and your budget is @dodonnell5,

Zermatt is more of a town, although very pretty and amazing views, and can be quite busy. It has the more extensive skiing, with the option of skiing over into Italy also. It is, however, expensive and not worth trying to do on the cheap!

Sass Fee is smaller and more relaxed. More limited skiing. But enough to keep my family of advanced skiers happy for the week. Less expensive than Zermatt.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Les 2 Alpes worth a look as well, have skied it top to bottom in April but even if the valley is thawed there is plenty to go at up to 3600m
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Saas-Fee not Sass Fee! Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No one has mentioned it yet but that's EOSB week in Val Thorens - usually the best spring skiing in Europe at that time of year and powder days have been known

Full disclosure - pea soupers and very brisk winds have also been known but vastly outnumbered by sunny days.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:

+1 ... Properly lush, a decent workout, friendly on the joints, great fun in the sunshine, and an entirely different experience to those tedious midwinter mogul fields that old skoolers who are now hobbling around after knee and hip replacements, used to say were fun.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@LOTA, My eldest would appreciate this, he is also a pedant and can't help himself when it comes to other's grammatical errors!
ski holidays
@zikomo, getting a name right is not pedantry, it's good manners!!! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Slush is the poor-mans powder, great stuff - Roll on the FamBash!
snow report
St Anton in the spring

http://youtube.com/v/JaZnvAWLmGw
latest report
Wildsmith wrote:
Many places closed or greatly reduced by then- so that should help!, Zermatt is a good choice also Tignes, ischgl or Val Thorens imv. ‘Fun’ likely to be different this year - what fun do you want!? If it’s fin de siecle louche I suspect all will do that,
This is useful - resorts vs closing dates: https://www.skiresort.info/snow-reports/seasonend/europe/

Thanks! I want to do with my 23yo daughter. We like to go out to good dinners and hang out in happening bars with maybe music and people! Definitely not looking for quiet. I am waiting to see 2 things; is covid on the downswing, and is there snow! Cool
latest report
Wildsmith wrote:
Welcome btw Very Happy

Thanks so much!
snow report
Wildsmith wrote:
Welcome btw Very Happy

Thanks so much!
snow report
peanuthead wrote:

Thanks!
snow conditions
buchanan101 wrote:
Ischgl seems to tick the boxes. Obergurgl would too - resort is at 1930m so all skiing is high and facing mostly west/north west, but that's a quiet resort so may not fit your idea of fun - at least after the slopes close (there's the Neiderhutte of course).

Very little skiing in Ischgl is BELOW 2000m, and much is a north-westerly aspect.

Ischgl is not cheap though, mostly 4 (or 5) star hotels, and you usually have to go Sat to Sat

The best snow so far this year has fallen in Austria - in any case Austrian snowmaking is the best along with Italy

Thanks, Where in Austria do you think will be a good spot that will have snow... good snow? Little Angel I find it very hard to find actual snow depth comparisons amongst resorts... And along with size and lively locations.
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
No one has mentioned it yet but that's EOSB week in Val Thorens - usually the best spring skiing in Europe at that time of year and powder days have been known

Full disclosure - pea soupers and very brisk winds have also been known but vastly outnumbered by sunny days.

What is EOSB?
ski holidays
zikomo wrote:
We go to Sass Fee every spring. Lovely village, guaranteed snow and often really good conditions. It is not the biggest in terms of kms of piste but there is good variety, and the off-piste is much under-rated (and under-utilised).

Zermatt is very special also, have been quite a few times. There will be similar conditions to Sass Fee (it is the next valley along and equally high slopes). Best mountain restaurants in the world in my view, we quite often make a day trip from Sass Fee for a great lunch!

Depends what you are looking for and your budget is @dodonnell5,

Zermatt is more of a town, although very pretty and amazing views, and can be quite busy. It has the more extensive skiing, with the option of skiing over into Italy also. It is, however, expensive and not worth trying to do on the cheap!

Sass Fee is smaller and more relaxed. More limited skiing. But enough to keep my family of advanced skiers happy for the week. Less expensive than Zermatt.

I am not terribly worried about budget, but am more concerned about snow, lots of options for skiing, and nightlife. We want to be in a place where there is a lot going on, and good skiing. We are expert here in the US, but I imagine for intermediate in Europe?
ski holidays
@dodonnell5, ischgl’s snow depths won’t generally be the highest but that’s misleading. The aspect keeps the snow, and the elevation (greatest proportion of skiing above 2000m in Austria). I’ve only been mid March (the infamous 2020) but plenty of good snow. It’ll have snow as good as anywhere in Austria, and possibly the best lift system in the Alps…just about all fast chairs. Lots of intermediate stuff, not a lot of beginner, quite a lot of black runs. And it’ll have nightlife, though more restrained this year, especially after what happened there in 2020. Hotels mostly high standard and not cheap.
ski holidays
dodonnell5 wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

What is EOSB?

The EOSB is the Snowheads End of Season Bash in Val Thorens https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=155089
latest report
dodonnell5 wrote:

What is EOSB?

The End of Season Bash - the last snowHeads bash of the year.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zermatt would be my personal pick, the skiing and food is great, the town has lots going on, and you can head over to Italy for a change of scene. Only downside is cost.
snow conditions
moffatross wrote:
under a new name wrote:

+1 ... Properly lush, a decent workout, friendly on the joints, great fun in the sunshine, and an entirely different experience to those tedious midwinter mogul fields that old skoolers who are now hobbling around after knee and hip replacements, used to say were fun.

lol... sounds like a great spot!
ski holidays
@dodonnell5, given you that you are going to be in Milan, Cervinia would seem ideal though has not had a particularly good season snow wise so far. Ischgl is very reliable for late season skiing (and has good conditions currently) though not the easiest journey from Milan. There are the high French resorts Val Thorens, Tignes/Val d'Isere etc which are usually good at that time (hence the Snowheads trip) but again Milan is not an ideal travel starting point. After Easter St Anton / Arlberg is really ski touring with a fairly limited number of lifts open, good for day trips with the right conditions not really a ski week. Zermatt (the more well known Swiss side to Cervinia) & Sass Fee are potentially good too and fairly easy to get to from Milan (either by car or train), Sass Fee not so big an area by European standards.

If you are happy driving a fair distance then either Ischgl or Val Thorens (or other high French resort), if you prefer a shorter drive or train, then Cervinia or Zermatt.
snow report
Thanks so much. I'm actually flying from the US. My daughter will be coming from Milan. She's willing to do whatever it takes to get a great week of skiing in. We were supposed to ski Grindelwald in Jan, but Covid got the best of us and the trip didn't happen, so I'm going to possibly give it another shot. My daughter leaves Milan in June, so this is my best shot to get to ski in Europe.
latest report
@dodonnell5, If that's the case I think I would be inclined to go with Zermatt, easy to get to from either Geneva or Zürich and also easy from Milan with the train (its a car fee village so little benefit in having a car. Most other places would involve a lot more travel faff for both of you.
latest report
If your daughter coming from Milan then surely Cervina / Zermatt makes the most sense? I would think Cervinia a little quieter at that time of year so if you want a bit of life in bars etc probably go to Zermatt. Not sure how easy it is to get to Zermatt from Milan otherwise than on skis from Cervinia!

If you are willing to travel then Solden / Obergurgl, Ischgl and 3 Valleys are best options

All of these will have perfectly good piste skiing. Solden in particular. I've been there in mid to late April and skied excellent snow on the glacier even after a long day of sun. There is a lot of life in the apres bars also, although it is a young rowdy crowd and Austria has been very strict with covid so no real apres ski yet this year.

Covid will either be in retreat or forgotten about in Europe by then. If that or the actual best snow conditions matter a lot to you then just wait until closer to the time to choose your resort. You will get accomodation easily in any of the above at that time of year. Of the three Switzerland is by far the most Covid liberal - they have abandoned all entry requirements so that's where I'd be going.

Either way, have a great trip, delighted to see your enthusiasm! Hopefully I can convince my kids to ski with me in the States when I'm older!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy