Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chatel

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, Can anyone tell me is it easy for a novice (can ski easy blues) to get from Chatel to Avoriaz? And any other tips regards Chatel - skiing and/or Apres? Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bus from Chatel to Pré la joux and it's a 2 lifts up, one blue down to Lindarets and a lift up to Avoriaz.

Not too tricky.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you. The blue down is Grand Plan? - can a beginner snow plough down that one? I can ski (but not skied GP), I don’t want to put a beginner-friend off on day one by pushing too hard.

From Lindarets, I’m sweet, I know there across to Les Gets just never been to Chatel.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chatel to Les Gets is a long way for anybody.... never mind a beginner
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The blue down to Lindarets is not the world’s easiest. On a cross slope and unless there has been fresh snow can be scraped hard/icy patches. Then merges with a red and heads down a fairly narrow track which some beginners would not enjoy.

If you are asking whether a beginner can get down a particular blue I would counsel against heading all the way to Les Gets from Chatel.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Langers Utd, the "blue" down has one section that's basically a road, not steep by any means, but narrow and often busy. I have known it to put people off.

What's the big attraction of Avoriaz?

Chatel to Les Gets is not really a "long" way, once one is reasonably competent and rapid enough.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is the easier (as in flat in places) road-green down to Linderets, but it takes a while. Agree with the above that Chatel to Les Gets and back for a beginner is too much.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@MHskier, where is that " green"?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
combe a floret -apologies it's marked blue but v easy. The one mentioned above about the cross slope that get's busy and icy is Prolays, also a blue, but agree that's tough for beginners.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't know of any green down to Linderets, I think you're confusing it with the green down to Pré la joux.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@MHskier, you are thinking Avoriaz down to Lindarets, not top of Chaux Fleurie down ...

https://www.morzine-avoriaz.com/medias/images/info_pages/plan-des-pistes-portes-du-soleil-2316.pdf

And anyway there still isn't any steenkin' green.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ah I thought it was meant the return back from Les Gets - Chatel!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
1. Does your beginner friend have a full PdS pass or just the Chatel one? Just checking because if the latter you'll be also skiing down to the bottom of Ardent to buy an Avoriaz day pass...
2. The only options from the Chatel/Avoriaz ridge are the red or the blue, with the red joining the blue before it's worst (for a beginner) section. Normally it's OK in the morning and at its worst later in the day so if you're going down it AM you're likely to scare your friend less than doing it PM.
3. Is your friend really a day 1 beginner? I'd take them to a green/blue day 1, not on a long run like that (where it's an expensive taxi home if the wheels come off).
4. Is it actually Avoriaz you're trying to get to or Les Gets? If the latter and with a beginner I'd probably go for skiing Chatel->Linderets, then depending how they feel either ski or bubble down to the bottom of Ardent and bus to Morzine. From there and again depending on the beginners legs you can ski or bus to Les Gets.

Combe a Floret is the "Star Wars"/"R2D2" run down from Avoriaz either along the flat track into Linderets or down to join Parchets, the Linderets->Ardent blue just below the goat village.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Langers Utd wrote:
Thank you. The blue down is Grand Plan? - can a beginner snow plough down that one? I can ski (but not skied GP), I don’t want to put a beginner-friend off on day one by pushing too hard.

From Lindarets, I’m sweet, I know there across to Les Gets just never been to Chatel.

In the wrong conditions Grand Plan can be very tricky. Many years ago it was at the top of that run in windy conditions that we encountered a sheet of wind blown blue ice on rental skis, I got across it just about while my wife lost her edge and fell hard on to the ice and sliding for about 50 metres ending up breaking her pelvis.
The track part of Grand Plan can get very busy from where the red joins in and can be quite scary for beginners snowploughing with faster skiers using them as moving slalom poles, passing very close.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As you all know your stuff when it comes to Chatel, I wonder if I could tag on a question? I will be staying in Chatel this weekend and it's my second trip there.

Is it MUCH quicker getting the bus from Chatel to Pre' La Joux and beyond, rather than up La Linga and skiing across?
latest report
@GeorgeK, Depends on how long it takes you to get to Linga! Linga has convenient parking but often a 5-10 mins queue for the telecabine. Once you are in the telecabine it’s a 5 min ride, 2 mins ski and then another 5 min lift to the top of the PLJ area.

PLJ is a further 10 mins up the road and parking can be a ‘mare. On a bad day people get a bus from the car park! Don’t appear to get the same queues at the two lifts.

If you have to get a bus to either Linga or PLJ I’d probably stay on the bus to PLJ, unless you can see that the lift queue at Linga is quiet.
latest report
Thanks Matt. We're staying up the hill from Linga (5 minute walk from memory) and don't have a car so would be using le bus.

I'll check where the bust stop is in relation to the hotel and go from there.

Cheers!
snow report
Hi all, just wanted to quickly say thank you for all the useful pointers. The weekend was a success but our beginner (rightly so, I think) gave the trip to Avoriaz a miss. Chatel village is a lovely spot, I’d stay there again. Thanks.
snow report
@Langers Utd, hope you were able to enjoy the Super Chatel sector with your beginner friend as think it’s a great area to progress and gain confidence.
ski holidays
@Langers Utd, were you there last weekend? Glad you enjoyed it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy