Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel from Dublin > Austria on British passport

Poster: A snowHead
Guys, 8 of us going from N.Ireland via Dublin to Austria. Has anyone done the same and can advise? Did you need double vax and booster and neg PCR?

I know we fall under British rules, but we are Irish and in Ireland all be it up north. I know a few who went to France on UK passports and as they came from N.I they got let in ok as they are classed as Irish.

Some of our party have had covid over Christmas and all are double vaxed. All the info out there is not super clear, are they really fussy at passport control? Any advise would be appreciated.

In resort how strict are restrictions with bars etc?

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So you are asking if you can get away with applying rules for Republic of Ireland residents travelling to Austria rather than those for UK residents travelling to Austria even though you know the latter applies ?

PS Welcome to Snowheads.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes that is correct. As we are living on the island of Ireland, I know we should follow UK info but we are leaving from Dublin. Austrian embassy Dublin say if you have been in Ireland for the last ten days then you are under Irish guidelines but double check this. As you could be living here with an Australian passport or a US passport but you have been in Ireland for the last months or year and they would not let you in if it was down to passport only.

I was looking for people that may have made the journey that can advise what got checked. I know some going from NI via dublin into Munich and down to Mayrhofen didnt even get asked for anything more than a passport at passport control in Munich. They did have Irish passports though.

I have been a snowheads member for some ten years but hadn't logged in in so long I had to re register.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mrabaird wrote:
Yes that is correct. As we are living on the island of Ireland, I know we should follow UK info but we are leaving from Dublin. Austrian embassy Dublin say if you have been in Ireland for the last ten days then you are under Irish guidelines but double check this.

You better had check they mean the WHOLE island of Ireland including NI rather than Ireland the political state, as the name "Ireland" keeps getting used as if they were interchangeable for the land mass and the Republic but that can cause confusion. As I imagine you want to apply the correct rules rather than the most convenient you can get away with.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Correct, obviously the more convenient method. I think we will just get all to be on the safe side, it seems down to the discretion of passport control. I know of a local guy from NI beside us went out between Christmas and new year departing Dublin. Had all just incase. They only asked for his passport and away he went, never asked again.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This was covered some days ago (bezthespaniard ?) - Officially, if you are from NI, you should follow the rules that apply to the UK

Not sure what Bez did in the end...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mrabaird, where are you flying to? It seems the airports are applying the rules differently (see main Austrian thread). Will you have Republic vaccine certs or NI ones? You wont have an issue once in Austria the only issue might be at the airport. If it is one of the smaller airports if the only flight to arrive from non Schengen area in the preceding 45 minutes is from Dublin, they will assume you have all come from the Republic! Life would certainly be easier if you have all had your 3rd shot.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks, we are coming into Innsbruck from Dublin. We are just going under British rules to play it safe. Unless we get some more information between now and then. PCRs booked.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If I had to guess, I would say you would need to follow Austrian rules when flying to it; then Irish rules when flying back to Dublin; and probably any NI rules re those who have been to Austria.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I found this useful. I'm also flying from Dublin to Austria @mrabaird,

The self-check pre-travel clearance form is at this link: https://entry.ptc.gv.at/en.html

It's ostensibly about pre-travel clearance and the need (or otherwise) for quarantine, but the questions it asks are pertinent and as you fill them in it advises as to what paperwork (if any) is necessary.

It asks not only about where you are entering Austria from, but where you've been in the last ten days. Interestingly, it doesn't ask what passport you're travelling on...

About three pages in is a set of tick boxes which guide you towards the neccesary registration. It's called "PROOF OF LOW EPIDEMIOLOGICAL THREAT"

If you are flying in from Dublin, have been in the UK during the previous 10 days, have proof of a booster jab along with a negative PCR test within 48 hrs of your arrival in Austria, it says:
"With this combination of proofs, further registration is not required!"

UK Foreign Office has an update service where you can sign up for email notifications when rules change. Worth a look. https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/austria and follow the "Get email updates" link

As for COVID certificates, you can get a paper copy of the NHS one & it is promised that the app will be able to show proof off booster in January (not very specific, I know)
If you're an Irish passport holder and have been vaccinated in NI you can get an EU Digital Covid Certificate. It, too, promises to have the capability to include the booster jab "in early January" which is a bit more specific.

In summary, follow the Austrian entry rules one the way out, and BOTH the Irish & Northern Irish regs on the way back. Thankfully as of a couple of days ago there are no requirements for pre-departure tests on your way back although a day 2 post-return test is still required for NI but it's now only a lateral flow one. You do have to have bought and paid for it before you fill in you passenger locator as the free NHS tests aren't accepted.

The Austrian government updated their requirements on Thursday and you now also have to wear an FFP2 mask outdoors in any situation where a 2m distance can't be maintained. They had already required wearing of FFP2 masks indoors and on public transport, which specifically includes ski lifts.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ster wrote:
So you are asking if you can get away with applying rules for Republic of Ireland residents travelling to Austria rather than those for UK residents travelling to Austria even though you know the latter applies ?

PS Welcome to Snowheads.

Actually I don’t think the rules are about where you are resident of, but where you have spent the previous 10 days. It’s the geographical space that’s considered the variant area not one’s residency/citizenship, which is why Austrian residents/citizens who have spent the last 10 days in the UK fall under those rules too.

So OP should be traveling under Irish rules, but should be prepared to demonstrate that they were in Ireland not UK beforehand.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999 wrote:
ster wrote:

PS Welcome to Snowheads.

Actually I don’t think the rules are about where you are resident of, but where you have spent the previous 10 days. It’s the geographical space that’s considered the variant area not one’s residency/citizenship, which is why Austrian residents/citizens who have spent the last 10 days in the UK fall under those rules too.

So OP should be traveling under Irish rules, but should be prepared to demonstrate that they were in Ireland not UK beforehand.

When I referred to residency I was thinking of where you were living before you arrived. From the above it would seem that the OP would have been in the UK in the 10 days prior (as they live there and not in the Republic), only transiting in Dublin then the rules applying to coming from the UK would apply not from the Republic?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks, it seems france go on where you are from. If you live anywhere on the island of Ireland you are all good under Irish rules. But thats not Austria.

I am not boosted, recently have had covid, double vaxed and going to get a PCR just to be 100% sure.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mrabaird wrote:
I am not boosted, recently have had covid, double vaxed and going to get a PCR just to be 100% sure.

Sorry to break it to you, but with this background I suspect you’ll have difficulty getting into Austria.
Have a go through this form and it should give you an idea.
https://entry.ptc.gv.at/en.html
Wishing you luck.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And this seems to contradict that

".1. Entry from states and regions that are not virus variant areas: proof of vaccination or recovery with additional negative PCR Test, no quarantine
These states and regions include EU/EEA states as well as third countries. Every type of entry into the country is possible from these countries – including tourist travel.

A valid 2G+ proof (Vaccinated or recovered and a negative PCR test) is required for entry. If there is no proof of a negative PCR test at the time of entry, registration via the pre-travel clearance must be made and home quarantine must be started immediately until a negative test result is available..."

https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/en/themen/coronavirus_in_oesterreich/pre-travel-clearance.html
ski holidays
I live in the North of Ireland (right on the border), I am Irish, i have had an Irish passport my entire life, my family all have Irish passports. We will be adhering to the rule of travel for Ireland, not the UK.
latest report
albob wrote:
And this seems to contradict that

".1. Entry from states and regions that are not virus variant areas: proof of vaccination or recovery with additional negative PCR Test, no quarantine
These states and regions include EU/EEA states as well as third countries. Every type of entry into the country is possible from these countries – including tourist travel.

A valid 2G+ proof (Vaccinated or recovered and a negative PCR test) is required for entry. If there is no proof of a negative PCR test at the time of entry, registration via the pre-travel clearance must be made and home quarantine must be started immediately until a negative test result is available..."

https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/en/themen/coronavirus_in_oesterreich/pre-travel-clearance.html

But the OP lives in Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK. He is also travelling on a British passport.
The UK is a virus variant area therefore he needs to follow the regulations for category two, not category 1 which you highlight.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 10-01-22 10:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
peter2512 wrote:
I live in the North of Ireland (right on the border), I am Irish, i have had an Irish passport my entire life, my family all have Irish passports. We will be adhering to the rule of travel for Ireland, not the UK.

The difficulty you will face on return is that the Irish Passenger Locator Form will ask you to state that either you are travelling on to NI or give the address in RoI where you will be for the next number of days.
Ticking the “I’m returning directly to NI” box also removes several more pages of questions.

In my personal experience, although admittedly not always that of others, the Irish Govt pass that info on to the UK Govt & you might find yourself on the end of a call to verify your location, as I did last October.
snow report
cardweg wrote:
mrabaird wrote:

Sorry to break it to you, but with this background I suspect you’ll have difficulty getting into Austria.
Have a go through this form and it should give you an idea.
https://entry.ptc.gv.at/en.html
Wishing you luck.

Thanks, it shows region of departure on that link. Which is Ireland, as we are on the Island of Ireland. Then asks if you have been elsewhere in the ten days before departure which is no as we are in Ireland. This is the part of how do you prove you have been out of Ireland or in the country for the last ten days. We are all Irish, I know some of us have British passports (the Irish men originally from Dublin etc have British passports due to the wives having British which makes it pretty funny. The NI men are on Irish passports. But if you ask me am Irish or British, I am Irish. Living on the Island of Ireland you can have duel nationality due to the good friday agreement anyone from N.Ireland can have an Irish passport. I could have a USA passport and been living in Ireland but doesn't mean I follow USA entry requirements to Austria. I think Peter2512 has it nailed. We are travelling from Ireland. I have been in Ireland for the last ten days. My passport birthplace is in Ireland Co Antrim and I can show I live in Ireland. There is no boarder in Ireland now. Just the Irish sea boarder from the UK.

Double Vax, Recovered or booster (recovered is also classed as booster), Neg PCR and we are good. Thats to play it safe, even those on Irish passports in our group are going for a PCR just to be sure.

https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations
latest report
Probably the smartest thing to do mrabaird. We are flying into Munich and as far as i can see the rules are the same for Irish/British in that if we have booster a PCR is not required.
snow conditions
peter2512 wrote:
Probably the smartest thing to do mrabaird. We are flying into Munich and as far as i can see the rules are the same for Irish/British in that if we have booster a PCR is not required.

Yes, I see on a facebook group Ski club of GB - zell am see. A family from NI with Irish passports and the wife with a british flew to munich from Dublin and had no issues. They only checked passports and glanced at vaccine stuff then they were only asked for vaccine double jab info at the lift pass kiosk in Mayrhofen. It seems to be do not get your lift pass off the rep on bus but get them in resort as once they check vaccine stuff you are good. If you get one off the rep you get stopped at lifts all the time to ask for your vaccine passport. It must show as you pass through the gate to get on the lift.
snow report
As somebody who lives in NI (on the Border) and has both British and Irish passports - and was thinking about going with Crystal from Dublin....this question did my head in.

The problem is each country can advise on their own situation...but driving from your home in NI to ROI, to travel to EU adds a whole level of extra complication...especially when the rules in each country keep changing.

In the end, I decided the whole thing was not worth doing.
latest report
@mrabaird, @peter2512,
It’s definitely a minefield. Let’s hope we all get where we want to be.

@Old Fartbag,
Hope you get away somewhere

A close family member lives in continental EU and they/we have flown quite a bit over the last two years, when permitted.

While it’s certainly complex, the hurdles can be overcome if you carefully follow the regulations of the countries you wish to enter.

The removal of the need for pre departure tests on the way home last week has removed a significant level of concern on my part.

All I have to do is stay covid free for the next couple of weeks…. fingers crossed for everyone’s trips.
ski holidays
@cardweg, Thanks.

A trip is possible, but unlikely.
snow conditions
My son and I are due to travel to Austria at half term. He's 16, double jabbed, but no booster, so I thought he couldn't go. BUT, he has an Irish passport (Irish mother), whereas I have a UK passport.

From my reading of the regulations, it appears that because he's an EU citizen, he only needs to be double jabbed + negative PCR test. I put his details into the entry form website and it appears he can go? We'll be travelling from Newcastle. Am I reading this wrong? (expensive mistake if I am)

I hadn't considered any of this until I saw this thread - so thanks!

Cheers.
ski holidays
@crudeFool, as he would be travelling from the UK, under the current rules he would need to have the booster otherwise he's required to quarantine for 5/10 days. That's my understanding anyway.
snow report
@crudeFool, unfortunately you are. It is not nationality that is important but the location you have spent the previous 10 or 14 days (cant remember which). If you are coming from Holland, Denmark, Norway or UK then it doesnt matter whether you are Austrian, Irish or British the same rules apply. It might not be all doom & gloom as it seems likely the restriction on the four countries will be lifted at some point in the near future (it makes no sense when there are other countries with clearly higher risk who are not on the list) but when this will happen is a complete unknown.
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:
As somebody who lives in NI (on the Border) and has both British and Irish passports - and was thinking about going with Crystal from Dublin....this question did my head in.

The problem is each country can advise on their own situation...but driving from your home in NI to ROI, to travel to EU adds a whole level of extra complication...especially when the rules in each country keep changing.

Aw I think we (those of us in NI with Irish passports near the border) are in a super position to be able to drive an hour down the road to use EU passports and fly EU to EU (or Switzerland). Dublin airport have no issue letting you out, and the accepting airport/country see that you're coming from Ireland and don't seem to care (or understand the difference) that you have been in the northern part.

Don't tell any lies and you'll be fine - and are highly highly unlikely to get stopped or challenged. Other than PLFs, there's really no hassle. My family and I flew Dublin to GVA last summer with no issue, with our PLFs saying we were coming from and going back up north.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Rois1980, ^^^ this is absolutely on the money.
snow conditions
Rois1980 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Aw I think we (those of us in NI with Irish passports near the border) are in a super position to be able to drive an hour down the road to use EU passports and fly EU to EU (or Switzerland). Dublin airport have no issue letting you out, and the accepting airport/country see that you're coming from Ireland and don't seem to care (or understand the difference) that you have been in the northern part.

Don't tell any lies and you'll be fine - and are highly highly unlikely to get stopped or challenged. Other than PLFs, there's really no hassle. My family and I flew Dublin to GVA last summer with no issue, with our PLFs saying we were coming from and going back up north.

Fingers crossed the UK passport holders don't have to explain themselves when going to Austria. How do the police checking your info know where you came from? Do they say anyone from Ireland in this line and the Brits over there. IDK
ski holidays
@mrabaird, some airports have separate queues for EEA/Swiss & non EEA/Swiss passport holders (the EEA one inevitably a lot quicker) others, especially the smaller ones have one queue for all.
snow report
For us, it was about the staff in Dublin checking the vaccine status to be able to enter Switzerland. We only had to show that we had filled in the PLF in GVA at passport control and it wasn’t reviewed.
I guess I just assumed that passport control guys knew the flight coming in was from Dublin as we were bussed to the arrival gate and it seemed that passport control was really close. Maybe my memory is going.
Not sure what it would be like at your arrival airport.
snow conditions
For anyone else in the situation, anyone I have spoken to or know via a friend all travelled from Dublin to Austria on an Irish passport even if living in N.Ireland. There were never asked where they came from and treated as living / spending the last ten days in Ireland. Not found anyone on a UK passport doing the same journey as yet.

Innsbruck airport advised anyone one whatever the passport that has been in Ireland for the last ten days follow Irish rules. Even when I said some are from N.Ireland. Make of it what you will.
snow conditions
As Rois1980 says, don't tell any lies and you'll be fine.
If you say you've been in Northern Ireland and they translate that as Ireland, that's one thing.
If you say you've only been in Ireland and they discover you've been in the UK, a you could find yourself in a whole lot of bother.
When do you go?
snow report
cardweg wrote:
As Rois1980 says, don't tell any lies and you'll be fine.
If you say you've been in Northern Ireland and they translate that as Ireland, that's one thing.
If you say you've only been in Ireland and they discover you've been in the UK, a you could find yourself in a whole lot of bother.
When do you go?

Yeah, although its hard to prove either way. One of our group lives in Dublin and with us chatting so much he's thinking he will get treated as if he's from the UK. Irish passport going with some NI guys on UK passports. Hes now thinking how can I prove I have been in Ireland for the last ten days bar telling the Austrian police to ring his house in Dublin to ask. It made me laugh. He's booking a PCR to be sure even though its not needed from Ireland.

What I will do is update all once we get it done and advise others if Austria hasnt changed it to 2G rules by then.
snow report
The conversation seems to have dried up on this thread, and the rules have changed over the last week, but we found when we flew to Austria on 22nd that nobody looked for anything related to our coming from Northern Ireland. British & Irish passport holders were treated the same (as if they were Irish) in Dublin.
We were diverted on arrival to Linz rather than Innsbruck, so can't say how Innsbruck immigration would be, but the border police at Linz didn't ask for any info other than covid & regular passports.
ski holidays
Diverted to Linz too, treated like we came from Ireland. All they asked for was a recovery cert / booster did the job. I know my own on the app came up red on their system but they read my paper print out of the vaccines and let me go on my way. No big fuss.

To go into a bar, if you had your second vaccine or your booster cert / recovery. All was well. Same when getting your lift pass.
ski holidays
Cardweg - your summary of the mask wearing rules on ski lifts here in Austria isn't totally accurate. The requirement is to wear masks in "geschlossenen Räumen" ...therefore all you are not required to wear a mask in a totally open (chair) lift- i.e. chair lifts lacking a "Haube" (cover) as these can never be "geschlossene Räume" ...
ski holidays
...as long as you can maintain 2 meter distance from the next person...therefore in practice eg 2 people sitting at either side of a 6 man open chair lift don't need to wear masks..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy