Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nassfeld

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Trying to find somewhere to go where I can get 2 rooms for 3 people as a package deal (proving hard to avoid huge single person supplements) and the Franz Ferdinand resort in Nassfeld came up.

Whilst me and partner would usually look for somewhere with bigger area and more challenging pistes we'll have a beginnerish friend with us so happy to have a cruisy week.

Hotel looks good and close to lifts and ski school for friend.

Anyone been to this hotel? and any comments on ski school experiences for adults?

Would be going 12th March - anyone been this time of year - I'd normally avoid somewhere so low by that time- don't mind slush!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@MCL, there is a member @primoz?? who is Slovenian, lives nearby and would be knowledgeable. Someone who used to work with me went every year. I think your biggest issue could well be snow readability. It is a long way south from the Tirol etc and has a rather different climate, much more in common with the Dolomites, lots of sunny days but not so many snowy ones. It can get huge falls of snow but it can also be pretty dry. Impossible to say how much snow there will be in the next few weeks but currently the heavy snow is a long way north of Nassfeld and their doesnt seem to be much on the horizon. Not sure where you would fly to Klagenfurt / Graz? it is a long way from Salzburg, Innsbruck and a very long way from Munich. You might be better off looking at somewhere like the Zillertal, Serfaus, Saalbach etc
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We stayed there in The January 2019 Snowpocalypse! Though it's on the southern side of the main Alpine ridge so didn't get that snow. Hotel is very nearly ski to door, with a hut/bar (watch out for Babsy) between it and the end of the piste. Some rooms are a bit small, although they each have their own ski/boot room in the 'entrance hall' It's s modern concrete, glass and steel design inside and out. Very good buffet food. Nice bar with heated floor. Ski hire place basically under the hotel

There's a beginner area at the top of the first stage of the gondola lift out of the village. Which is tiny. Small supermarket. ATM. Four bars and the hotels. Skiing is just enough to amuse for a week.

Crystal flew us into Salzburg, so it was a long transfer for Austria 3 hours.

Anything else?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The village is actually called Tröpolach and Nassfeld translates literally as wet field. I'd go back for a cheap week.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think the 12th of March is still snow sure for Nassfeld. The majority of pistes are between 1500m and 2000m and the piste which goes to the valley floor is north facing. I am not sure that the size of the resort is enough for a whole week. I have always had a good ski experience in March but you have to take into account that in the afternoon the pistes can get slushy. It really depends on the weather. Last year we had the best snow conditions in April, but this is an exception.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's a very nice ski area.
Here's a link to a trip reports with lots of photos.
https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64958
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for replies everyone- sounds like it should stay on the shortlist!

Presume it's easy to take lift up and down to avoid lower slopes if too slushy/ broken runs.

@HutToHut, hotel sounds good. do you reckon there would be something to eat for veggies at evening meals? Never been to Austria; we always gravitate to the Dolomites for food and extent. Also with Crystal do you know if they did they do any ski away days?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's a very nice ski area.
Here's a link to a trip reports with lots of photos.
https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64958
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@munich_irish, Thanks for other suggestions- will have look if any accommodation options in any of them
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Onnem, Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@MCL, yeah up/down dead easy. There's only one run home, so it's that or the gondola down. The home run is a bit round the houses so the gondola was sometimes a quicker or easier way back.

It's a modern hotel but still old fashioned Austria with a meat based menu. However for veggies there is a large salad buffet and selection of soups, one often veggie. There was also a pasta station. A chef with their pans and a hob at the end of the buffet cooking the dish in front of you. Just looked at my photos of the menu and there was Penne Funghi and Spaghetti with olive oil and garlic on two nights.

Crystal did not have a rep in resort, you just get their mobile number. Can't recall any away days. If we had some really nice weather we were going to go to Monte Lussari, Italy for a ski day taxi@taxi-kapp.at quoted us €70 each way for four people. We didn't get a really nice sunny day.

Oh yeah the hotel had an indoor climbing wall as well.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@HutToHut, great thanks for the info on hotel and also possible day trip
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It’s a few years since I was there (I would go back) and when we did the trip we flew to Ljubljana and hired a car from there. It was an easy journey
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@munich_irish, I do live nearby and consider Nassfeld as my home mountain (even though it's not exactly like that, as it's about 1h away from my home, and what also matters, especially in these days of all sorts of retarded restriction for Austria entry, it's on other side of great wall of China errr.. Austria Smile ), but because it's so close, I have basically zero info on hotels, apartments etc. there. I never stay there over night.
But as far as ski resort itself goes... it's actually much better then most of people think. It looks small and unpopular and certainly not fancy. Last two things are true, but with about 150km of tracks (pretty close to real number not exaggerated) it's anything but small. So for me it's pretty much best resort in Austria. Lifts are relatively new (surely they can't compare to Kitz, but they can easily compare to Saalbach for example), pistes are normally well prepared, and there's never lot of people, so I can have my fun on GS or SG skis without need to worry it will be too crowded for my speed Smile Not something that is common in more popular resorts.
Tracks... well that's one thing... "more challenging pistes" is certainly not issue here. There's plenty of challenging enough pistes in Nassfeld, even if you are racer with years of training and racing behind, and if you are one week a year skier, it's certainly good enough. Issue is, that there's not more then piste or maybe two of easy beginner pistes. So your beginnerish friend will actually have issues finding proper place to ski.
Beginning of March is normally not a problem in Nassfeld. Most of resort is relatively high, so snow is good. Problem this year is, we didn't have much of snow down south (yet), so more or less everything is on artificial snow, which is actually better for skiing (at least for me) and it lasts longer, but there's not really much of it. But 12th of March is pretty much always 100% sure it's going to be ok.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy