Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best helmet under £50?

Poster: A snowHead
...for a lifelong beanie wearer that's getting older and feels like he should be setting a better example. Resistance is futile etc... but doesn't mean I'd ever consider hiring one that's probably been dropped a dozen times. And has nits.

So basically, lightweight, not too 'obviously' helmet-y feel-y (does that make any sense?), and also nothing too funky coloured. Failing any better suggestions, I'm probably going to end up going with a DLX one that looks ok, but this is an area where I have virtually zero experience...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The one that fits Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Get one that fits. The basic safety std is the same for all of them ( outside race helmets) so the nonsense about not having a sub £100 head is a bit misplaced. MIPS some people think is worth it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
...well that's simple enough then, I figured there might have been a few clear winners in the "doesn't feel too much like a helmet" stakes, but ok, anything that will work with my lumpy 61cm cranium then. Doddle.

But absolutely not that 20 quid one from Decathlon - I get there's a certain grudging shabby chic affinity for Wedze, but it's really really ugly. Like I'm any sort of judge Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if you crawl amazon with a prime account, buy a few & send back what does not fit.
You can get some bargains
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mr.Egg, you know, maybe it's just my age, but I've never really bought into the approach of ordering 10 things just to try, and sending 9 of them back again. Just seems like a massive wasteful self-indulgence...

(Yeah, the same could be said about flying somewhere at half term to ski at inflated prices, but I'll make peace with myself on that one snowHead )
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well....I bought a non-MIPS POC Receptor Adjustable for 50:00 new on ebay a couple of months ago, usually about 100-120:00 - all our kit was in CH and I needed a few visits to Milton Keynes - but then I know that the M/L fits my 56cm skull ... they run true to size and the XXL would fit you.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I got back skiing 4 years ago having never worn a helmet and had not intention of doing so. In the 80s and 90s no one wore them. I happened to be in Sports Direct (don't judge me) and tried a Nevica ( as I recall a huge name in the 80s and 90s) Helmet on and only £22.99. It fitted well and was really comfy and for 3 holidays it was great. I don't fall over much as don't push myself too much (as in late 40s and unfit) so don't need the best safety features and the helmet stayed in place and kept my head warm. I have not skied one run without my helmet since. I'm going again this year and fancied a change. I've just got a Smith Holt helmet (eBay £40 inc postage brand new) and the difference in fit and comfort is huge. Probably should have tried it on first etc but just got lucky but if it fits you I would recommend it (admittingly having not skied in it yet!) The only problem is that in my mind new helmet = new goggles and I have just spent too much on a new pair of Oakleys!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ratechaser, check this out that the OH has been testing, they sponsor USA Ski Team for helmets and goggles and ship worldwide free.

https://stylealtitude.com/outdoormaster-kelvin-helmet-proxm-goggles-review.html
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam, looks like a decent option, unfortunately the shipping time is too long given I'm traveling in less than 2 weeks...

Think I'll just go out and try a few on this weekend!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Weathercam wrote:
@ratechaser, check this out that the OH has been testing, they sponsor USA Ski Team for helmets and goggles and ship worldwide free.

https://stylealtitude.com/outdoormaster-kelvin-helmet-proxm-goggles-review.html

Looks like a generic chinese made helmet - no different really from what Decathlon, Aldi, Lidl etc sell (which is fully TUV certified). I find it hard to believe Oakley athletes won't be on their product for the Olympics but on Outdoor Master goggles. I know Shiffrin has to wear Nike rather than Adidas for the games.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
....I find it hard to believe Oakley athletes won't be on their product for the Olympics but on Outdoor Master goggles....

Agree....

Good quality products though, as per Decathlon, but don't think you can put Lidl in the same category looking at what they offer compared to Decathlon / Intersport here
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think you can - helmets and goggs from Aldi/lidl are at least as good as Decathlon pricepoint products - obviously they don't have the flashy magnets etc but an Aussie sourcing guy at SIA once told me at the time they came out of the same factory as Giro.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ratechaser,here's a sub 50 option for you, https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/2355896, if you do buy this is a link to sign up and i get a voucher https://www.sportpursuit.com/join/C940FD19A77BDC Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Mrs just bought herself and Odoland from Amazon for £50 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/page/EE9DB824-3410-4174-82D8-A60BF9FC588A?tag=amz07b-21

I was very dubious at first, as it also comes with a free set of half-decent looking goggles, but I had a good look over it and it seems fine with all the relevant MIPS and CE ratings. Still yet to go and try it out, but I'd recommend so far.
ski holidays
Decathlon
ski holidays
@radar, the first link just gives me a 404 error I'm afraid!
latest report
@nevis1003, just been there to try them on. Nothing I liked although not much stock in the L size...
snow report
@ratkinsonuk, hmm, tempting. Pity that it's only cheap in the brighter colours though!
snow conditions
@ratechaser,

Not sure if this link will work, there’s quite a choice, https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/2355896?sp_share=product_email
snow report
@radar, thanks, Id already looked at that site and there was nothing in black that would be delivered before our holiday. I figured you might have been pointing me to one of the red/orange options, which aren't really me.

Ski like I'm on my way to a funeral... that's my approach.
snow report
Confused... dark brown for £50...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Goggles-Shockproof-Universal-Protective-Snowboarding/dp/B08CH9GR45?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
@ratechaser, do you have a blue jacket and black trousers? Seemed to be the uniform in Saalbach, fortunately my helmet is white LOL
snow conditions
A discount on a high performing helmet is a useful thing. But I certainly have never thought when heading into a rock garden on a DH bike, or dodging falling rocks on a face “I am glad I bought a cheap helmet…”
latest report
radar wrote:
@ratechaser, do you have a blue jacket and black trousers? Seemed to be the uniform in Saalbach, fortunately my helmet is white LOL

My old outfit was blue jacket and blue trousers so you're close... the new one is mostly black, grey and a bit of colour around the edges. Just as long as I don't, ever, get mistaken for a boarder Laughing
latest report
@valais2, agreed, but as someone that has beanie-d it all my life but now feels like they need to be the responsible elder of the group (not to mention the fact that I've endured about as much nagging from my family as I can take), I'm not really that bothered about high technical performance, I just want something that conforms to the key safety standards, and is as lightweight and unobtrusive as possible.

I figure that I should be able to get that without spending loads of money, and if a good discount is part of the equation, fine by me.
snow conditions
My Aldi helmet is lightweight, comfortable and looks no worse than any others I've seen on the slopes.
£17.99

https://www.aldi.co.uk/crane-adult-grey-ski-helmet/p/809361577814401
snow report
I tried a few recently. I was seriously unimpressed with the quality of the Sweet Protection products at the lower price point - in fact one broke very easily. That surprised me, because I thought they were a quality brand.

I ended up with a Smith, because it seemed to strike the best balance between weight, comfort and price.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ray Zorro, I'm no brand snob certainly, but the fact that their largest size is only up to 59cm puts me off (I'm a measured 61cm...)
latest report
Just measured my head - it's 60.5cm
As someone that always snaps Christmas cracker hats, I was very surprised to fit comfortably into a helmet labelled 56-59 M/L
I did remove the back adjuster mechanism though.
snow report
Ray Zorro wrote:
Just measured my head - it's 60.5cm
As someone that always snaps Christmas cracker hats, I was very surprised to fit comfortably into a helmet labelled 56-59 M/L
I did remove the back adjuster mechanism though.

And I reckon that if I took the front seats out of a classic mini, I would fit in one comfortably too Razz
ski holidays
So update... in the end I went with the Odoland helmet/goggles combo that @ratkinsonuk suggested. £45 for the white set which I'm very happy with.

According to my old kitchen scales, the helmet (ex goggles) weighs in at 400g, which is pretty reasonable. The contour of the goggles doesn't fit to the lip of the helmet quite as perfectly as the Amazon pics suggest, but it's a fairly good alignment, and they do look decent as a matching set.

If I had a couple of small niggles here - firstly, as it's a white set, you get a little bit of reflection on the inside of the goggles, around the nose area. Not a big deal, and if it did bother me, a black sharpie applied to the the inner white bits would do the trick.

The second niggle might just be me not doing something right, but I can't get the damn earmuffs to detach! The instructions suggest you just need to pull, but I've pulled so hard I'm worried I'm going to snap something! I've sent them an email to check if there is a different technique needed.

And finally @ratkinsonuk, the dark brown option was part of a different group of helmets on Amazon - they looked pretty similar, but if you checked out the reviews, there were lots of comments about the goggles only being big enough for a child. So I steered clear of them. White is good enough for me!
snow conditions
Poshprop wrote:
I got back skiing 4 years ago having never worn a helmet and had not intention of doing so. In the 80s and 90s no one wore them. I happened to be in Sports Direct (don't judge me) and tried a Nevica ( as I recall a huge name in the 80s and 90s) Helmet on and only £22.99. It fitted well and was really comfy and for 3 holidays it was great. I don't fall over much as don't push myself too much (as in late 40s and unfit) so don't need the best safety features and the helmet stayed in place and kept my head warm. I have not skied one run without my helmet since. I'm going again this year and fancied a change. I've just got a Smith Holt helmet (eBay £40 inc postage brand new) and the difference in fit and comfort is huge. Probably should have tried it on first etc but just got lucky but if it fits you I would recommend it (admittingly having not skied in it yet!) The only problem is that in my mind new helmet = new goggles and I have just spent too much on a new pair of Oakleys!

Sorry I'm confused. You said your Sports Direct Nevica helmet fitted well, was really comfy and was great. But then you talk about the Smith Holt one you say the difference in fit and comfort is huge. Is it really, really comfy instead of just really comfy? Puzzled
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy