Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Land in GVA, drive to Italy - any advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. My son and I are going to be flying to Geneva on our way to a cheeky long weekend in Courmayeur at the beginning of March. Both vaxed and boosted, both planning to get the 48hr PCR test as per the current regs for Italy.
The hotel recommended hiring a car rather than booking a transfer as it will be cheaper.
Are there any kinks to be aware of in terms (a) choosing which side of GVA airport to leave from, and (b) what route to drive? I don’t mind paying tolls, I’m not trying to make it as cheap as possible, I just want to increase the chances of a smooth and snag-free drive to the resort. The day we travel will also be a day on which we intend to ski wink
If folks here think that a transfer is still the best way to go, I’ll take it and ditch the idea of the hire car.
Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What time do you land? And are you taking skis? Transfer will most likely save you an hour but if you have own skis and drive you could stop off somewhere on the way. Swiss side probably marginally better in terms of speed picking up and car will have the vignette needed for driving round Geneva
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi. We land at 0905, without skis. Hoping to be in resort for some afternoon skiing. Thanks!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ok the very cheapest transfer I can find is gbp250 each way. Ouch. So, hire car from the Swiss side it is.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Routes?departure=1215%20Cointrin&departureId=31MzY3aTEwY05EWXVNakkzTlRFPWNOaTR4TURNMk5nPT0=&arrival=11013%20Courmayeur%2C%20Aosta%20Valley%2C%20Italy&arrivalTid=city-1572873&index=0&vehicle=0&type=0&distance=km&currency=EUR&highway=false&toll=false&vignette=false&orc=false&crossing=true&caravan=false&shouldUseTraffic=false&withBreaks=false&break_frequency=7200&coffee_duration=1200&lunch_duration=3600&diner_duration=3600&night_duration=32400&car=hatchback&fuel=petrol&fuelCost=1.737&allowance=0&corridor=&departureDate=&arrivalDate=&fuelConsumption=6.8:5.6:5.6&shouldUseNewEngine=false

A friend went to Courmayeur recently via Geneva. Package with Tour Op and their coach took this route too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
One way tickets for the Mont Blanc Tunnel are eye-watering - buy a oneweek return.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks GeorgeVIII - at what point in the journey did they have to show their COVID docs? Just at the airport, or also on the road border with Italy?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@grimupnorth, Their transfer took place one week after France announced border closures to UK arrivals (and no transit through France) but their papers and certs weren't requested at any point after boarding in Manchester. Go figure.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Do the FR and CH side differ in who gets winter tyres?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Orange200 wrote:
Do the FR and CH side differ in who gets winter tyres?

Yes. CH provides them Very Happy . FR doesn't Sad.

The CH side usually charge about 55 Francs for snow chains. 2 weeks ago the FR side wanted €130 for 2 weeks chain rental - so we stopped off in Albertville and bought some for €27 Very Happy. I got a full refund on them when I took them back unused 13 days later wink .
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Brilliant Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Check flixbus to see if your timings work with that.

Not sure what the price is all the time, but when I was considering Courmayeur for mid Jan, it was showing £7.99 pp each way.

Doubt you'll get a car much cheaper than that if the timings work.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’m flying to Geneva and picking up a car on the French side on the 22nd Feb. I’m a bit worried about the FRench Swiss border, do I need anything other than the NHS Covid app to transit through France? Thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you're in a French side hire car you'll probably need to buy a Swiss motorway vignette.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@grimupnorth, Around the lake , and the Bernard is the best , easiest and most reliable route. Mt Blanc always seems to have long queues these days

March shouldn't be a problem ( then again who knows when it snows ) but the Swiss are the World's best at snow clearing. If you get stuck you can always stay in Verbier.

CH - side is (imo) a no brainer. Some 'heroes' know better ... many others know that time, life and peace-of-mind on balance says hire in Suisse.
ski holidays
Thanks, is there border control when you leave Geneva, or is it plain sailing when you leave Geneva airport until you get to the Mont Blanc tunnel? Thanks again
latest report
Robcumnor wrote:
Thanks, is there border control when you leave Geneva, or is it plain sailing when you leave Geneva airport until you get to the Mont Blanc tunnel? Thanks again

There is a Border Control but they rarely seem to stop people.
snow report
Agenterre wrote:
@grimupnorth, Around the lake , and the Bernard is the best , easiest and most reliable route. Mt Blanc always seems to have long queues these days

March shouldn't be a problem ( then again who knows when it snows ) but the Swiss are the World's best at snow clearing. If you get stuck you can always stay in Verbier.

CH - side is (imo) a no brainer. Some 'heroes' know better ... many others know that time, life and peace-of-mind on balance says hire in Suisse.

If you come that way and rent on the Swiss side, drive to and park in Le Châble (1hr30 from GVA airport) at the free parking, rent some skis for the afternoon from Mountain Snow at the base station and spend your afternoon skiing Verbier. Then come down at the end of the day and it’s another 1h30 to Courmayeur through the Grand St Bernard tunnel.
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
Agenterre wrote:

If you come that way and rent on the Swiss side, drive to and park in Le Châble (1hr30 from GVA airport) at the free parking, rent some skis for the afternoon from Mountain Snow at the base station and spend your afternoon skiing Verbier. Then come down at the end of the day and it’s another 1h30 to Courmayeur through the Grand St Bernard tunnel.

Now that is a plan. Two world class ski resorts in a weekend. Head onward to Courmayeur before dinner though, despite your assertion that budget isn't the main driver.

On the other hand, use the MB tunnel route and have the first afternoon in Chx. Still two world class ski resorts in a weekend. If you do that, then double definitely get onward to Italy before dinner.
snow conditions
@grimupnorth, Make sure you hire from the Swiss side. You will definitely get winter tyres which is not the case for French side hires. The exit and especially return routes for car hire are simpler from the Swiss side. And you will have the vignette to use Swiss motorways which French side cars may not. No brainer.

And second the suggestion of skiing Verbier on your way, most efficient use of time for maximum skiing.
latest report
midgetbiker wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Agenterre wrote:

Now that is a plan. Two world class ski resorts in a weekend. Head onward to Courmayeur before dinner though, despite your assertion that budget isn't the main driver.

On the other hand, use the MB tunnel route and have the first afternoon in Chx. Still two world class ski resorts in a weekend. If you do that, then double definitely get onward to Italy before dinner.

Afternoon Vallée Blanche to warm up the legs wink
ski holidays
There is some great advice here, thanks all, especially @agenterre. I'll certainly hire in Switzerland. The idea of stopping to ski in Verbier is interesting, wouldn't have thought of that.
Assuming for now that I'd like to get straight to Courmayeur .... the 'round the top' route is going to be at least 3 hours. Are the delays in the Mont Blanc Tunnel likely to be so bad that they will add 90 min to the 'straight through France' route?
Thanks again!
snow conditions
Thanks so much for all advice, Swiss side is £700 to hire for 6 days, French is £250, how much extra hassle is french side? If they do have winter tyres do you also need chains? Also the vignette, where can you get one, is it attached to the license plate? I’m going again on the 10th March with the misses, so I could potentially use it twice. Thanks again everYone
snow report
Someone else has already mentioned Flixbus and I would definitely recommend this option to the Aosta Valley . It was so straightforward; extremely cheap and it takes all the hassle out of the tunnel. The app is brilliantly accurate at tracking the bus and we didn’t have any problems on either leg of the journey Very Happy
ski holidays
@donzy3030 thanks but the timings for Flixbus don't work.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy