Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sella Ronda - resort recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Hello wise people

Looking for 2023 now but looking for a resort for a large group that will enable us to ski the Sella Ronda. Concerned that we may have a range of abilities (some will just stay in the resort, appreciate they won't all ski the Selle Ronda) but also people who won't want to get on buses. Looked at Selva but it is coming out rather expensive. Is Corvara a good option? I read on SCGB that there are a lot of drag lifts? I don't know the area at all and never skied there.

Any advice appreciated as 20 angry skiers not happy with my choice will be a bit tiresome! Wink
Many thanks
F
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Selva is nice but expensive and literally 3 bars, Id probs avoid even though i had a good time there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not many drags anywhere
There is one on the edge of Corvara but you don't need to use it or the others that are about
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
also there was discussion about Selva a while ago and people who knew it well thought it not very suitable for beginners/early intermediates. Corvara would be better, I'd have thought. As for bars, the Dolomites is not the place to head to if having lots of lively bars is an important consideration.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Where on earth did SCGB get that info? 1987?
Probably the lowest ratio of drag lifts of any resort that I've ever been to. And the negligible number of drag lifts are all avoidable, other than perhaps the one at Armentarola after the horse tow if you've done the hidden valley.
If anything I'd say there are too many gondolas, in places that could quite happily be 6-8man chairs (save taking skis off / putting them on)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone- going to get some quotes for different hotels to see if Corvara is affordable. Looking for somewhere different that we haven't all been to. We're all getting on a bit (50s/60s/70s) so not looking for a lot of night life but a bar or two and a few shops would be nice. In Gressoney at the minute and even we think it is quiet, stayed in Champoluc before which was a bit busier.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would say Corvara is as expensive if not more so than Selva. But in the great scheme of things neither are up there with the large ski sheds of France price wise. Corvara is a better location for the less experienced skier. Have a look at the Val di Fassa resorts Canazei or Campitello as both have easy access to good areas of easier runs and give easy access to the Sella Ronda.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can recommend Canazei. Easy access to the Sella Ronda and a few decent bars for Apres.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Corvara would be my recommendation. No drag lifts you have to take. Many hotels of varying price points. Also location is less important as the majority of the hotels run minibuses to and from the lift which is very convenient!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I can recommend Canazei

But be careful of location. "Canazei" can mean quite a way out, and different lifts. Accommodation in Italy might well be a fair bit more expensive than French basic - but the better value for money on lunch (if not beers, depending on where in France) helps make up for it!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Corvara or colfosco (even better for beginners)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
La Villa has direct gondola access into the blue heaven of Alta Badia but will be cheaper than Selva or Corvara.

Some swanky hotels but plenty of value options.

A few lifts and runs gets you on the Sella Ronda.

You will have to DIY it though as I don’t think any UK operators are here ?

We flew to Innsbruck and sorted a private taxi (6 of us)

Stayed in Hotel Gran Risa which is right next to the gondola up to Alta Badia. Red home run which is not too tricky (or black World cup slalom run). Nervous skiers can always download

Good apres bars at top of gondola.

Also has some local quiet slopes ideal for beginners.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fs wrote:
Thanks everyone- going to get some quotes for different hotels to see if Corvara is affordable. Looking for somewhere different that we haven't all been to. We're all getting on a bit (50s/60s/70s) so not looking for a lot of night life but a bar or two and a few shops would be nice. In Gressoney at the minute and even we think it is quiet, stayed in Champoluc before which was a bit busier.

Ooh I’m thinking Gressont for next year. What’s it like. We do good in quiet resorts with good access to the slopes. Happy with a couple of restaurants and don’t do bars.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are in Stafl (sp?) staying at Chalet du Lys - great food and spa. The slopes are beautifully pisted, empty slopes (during the week) and good access to Champoluc etc after the bubble/gondola up. One tiny cheese/wine shop and two ski shops. Trinite looks the same. maybe 3-4 bars which I assume do food but we've been eating at the hotel. I love it but would probably prefer a few more shops to have a wander in after skiing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Following hotels are all what I would call affordable in Corvara and located in the main village street: La Tambra, Table, Villa Eden, Villa Tony, Italia and La Plaza. 3 decent bars in the village as well.
snow report
fs wrote:
I read on SCGB that there are a lot of drag lifts?

There used to be some long drags on the anti-clockwise Sella Ronda from Colfosco up twd Gardena Pass, but they were replaced long ago by the two-stage Frara gondola with its bright red & yellow cabins.

There are very few draglifts left now, none on the Sella Ronda circuit. The ones I can think of are the nursery slopes in Selva and the one at Armentarola.

latest report
Just checked, the Plans-Frara gondola replaced the old drags in 2002!! Shocked

Is that how behind the times the SCGB really is!! rolling eyes

The drags were nearly a mile long, so it was good riddance. I vaguely remember doing them in March 2002 on my second trip to the area.
snow conditions
As to resort recommendations, La Villa & San Cassiano are going to be cheaper than Selva or Corvara as they are slightly off the circuit, not a bad tging as they do have easy access to blue heaven for the nervous skiers. You might have to do it independently though.
latest report
https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/dam/jcr:b654909f-8e83-47fb-acc2-a1798bd83d05/03%20Alta%20Badia.pdf

Here’s the piste map. There’s very few surface lifts. There’s 13 & 14, which are an alternative to taking chairlift 21. Then there are a few you can seek out if you really fancy, eg 17. There’s a drag servicing a slalom and 2 short beginner lifts. There’s 2 x 4 man chairs recently upgraded to 6 (3 & 7) and a 6 recently upgraded to 8 (23). There’s even a 2 man chair upgraded to an 8 man gondola (62). Fantastic scenery and more on slope dining options than anywhere else I’ve ever been. Lots of blue runs, you can cover all but La Villa & the little offshoot to Pedraces/Badia on them. Colfosco has the very best beginner slopes but can be in the shadow of the mountains, Corvara is really scenic but some places are a bit away from the lifts. La Villa is a standing gondola and 2 more chairs to the SR, San Cassiano is only 1 gondola (seats) and 1 chair off the SR. Scenery everywhere is amazing, only rivalled by the other side of the SR (Canazei etc).
latest report
@fs, I was in the area 2 weeks ago. In the entire week of skiing around the Sella Ronda and within the resorts off it, I used a drag lift 3 times.

Once at Armentarola after the hidden valley (no option but to), once by the Panorama Refugio because I fancied a go on the race course, and once on the Selva nursery slopes because I missed the Sella Ronda turning through the town.

So of the 3 times, only once was necessary.

If I was you, i'd be looking to stay in Selva, Corvara or San Cassiano. Certainly i'd be looking at the north side of the Sella Ronda. It feels to me like there's a bit more skiing over that side. We were in Val di Fassa, specifically Pozza, which is nice, but it's quiet. As a result, the ski areas in Val di Fassa are generally pretty quiet, except the Canazei and Campitello areas as they're on the Sella Ronda.
snow report
if you're a mixed group, I'd consider colfosco, a little smaller than corvara, it has some nice local slopes with resturants in the sun for the very casual skiier and its on the SR.
corvara isnt that far a way and certainly a reasonable taxi, a couple of bars, that will rack up the aperols in happy hour.
i think for the weaker skiiers Selva is no fun, people rave about the place but we find the slopes and lifts all around ciampinoi are steep, busy and unpleasant. hope that helps
ski holidays
andy wrote:
Where on earth did SCGB get that info? 1987?
Probably the lowest ratio of drag lifts of any resort that I've ever been to. And the negligible number of drag lifts are all avoidable, other than perhaps the one at Armentarola after the horse tow if you've done the hidden valley.
If anything I'd say there are too many gondolas, in places that could quite happily be 6-8man chairs (save taking skis off / putting them on)

Try Ischgl for virtually no T bars.... Or Saalbach away from the Hinterglemm nursery slopes?

..if you want too many gondolas try Obergurgl; more gondolas than chairs. It's been claimed that they are cheaper per person uplift than 8 man detachables (10 man cabins now common, a bit faster, so fewer cabins required than chairs. Fewer pylons. And gondolas are more useful in summer

Interested in trying out the Dolomites/Sella Ronda, though it does seem to suffer from less snow more often than Austria, though I believe that because of this the snow making is probably the best anywhere?
snow report
So - my question looking for recommendations - is where is the best place for me (competent intermediate who likes clocking up piste miles) and OH who doesn't ski and will want to have some scenic walks?
snow conditions
buchanan101 wrote:
So - my question looking for recommendations - is where is the best place for me (competent intermediate who likes clocking up piste miles) and OH who doesn't ski and will want to have some scenic walks?

Try Ortisei. You can ski above Ortisei at Seceda and Col Raiser. From there you can ski down to catch the Gardena Ronda express which will take you to the Saslong gondola and up to Ciampanoi, from where you access the Ski area above Selva and access the Sella Ronda. Meanwhile your OH can get the gondola from Ortisei up to the Alpe Di Siusi plateau where there are lots of winter hiking paths. You can also ski on the plateau on mainly easy runs and meet OH for lunch at one of the many huts dotted around.
latest report
@jimmybog, Thanks for that
ski holidays
Hi all after some advice. My son and I went to arinsal in Andorra this year found it ok but I did struggle on some of the reds. Would you think selva may be to difficult for me.
snow conditions
Just back from 2 weeks in the Val di Fassa at Campitello ...which I wouldnt recomend for beginners....but how about Alba...juts up from Canazei and with gondolas up to both the Belvedere ski area of the Sella Ronda or up to Ciampac which is a great area for beginners and experts alike with a run over to Possa ...There are quite a few hotels there now and it is much busier than it was a few years ago
latest report
ant2503 wrote:
Hi all after some advice. My son and I went to arinsal in Andorra this year found it ok but I did struggle on some of the reds. Would you think selva may be to difficult for me.

There are a few reds that you need to do to get around from Selva. There is a large area of blues by Corvara, La Villa & San Cassiano that might be better for you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ant2503, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
snow conditions
HugoC wrote:
if you're a mixed group, I'd consider colfosco, a little smaller than corvara, it has some nice local slopes with resturants in the sun for the very casual skiier and its on the SR.
corvara isnt that far a way and certainly a reasonable taxi, a couple of bars, that will rack up the aperols in happy hour.
i think for the weaker skiiers Selva is no fun, people rave about the place but we find the slopes and lifts all around ciampinoi are steep, busy and unpleasant. hope that helps

This 100% for a mixed group, Colfosco is perfect for beginners with fantastic easy blues right on doorstep for my OH who had only had 6-7 hours on snow prior to our trip. They can quickly progress to the Col Pradat area, where actually our mixed group had great fun, short black run and reds and blues all in same area.

For more adventurous you are pretty much in the middle between Selva and Corvara and on to the rest of the SR. Loved Colfosco for many reasons not least the Hotel Kolfuschgerhof, OMG one of the nicest ski hotels I've ever been to, not cheap but worth every penny! https://www.kolfuschgerhof.com/en/
snow conditions
jimmybog wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:

Try Ortisei. You can ski above Ortisei at Seceda and Col Raiser. From there you can ski down to catch the Gardena Ronda express which will take you to the Saslong gondola and up to Ciampanoi, from where you access the Ski area above Selva and access the Sella Ronda. Meanwhile your OH can get the gondola from Ortisei up to the Alpe Di Siusi plateau where there are lots of winter hiking paths. You can also ski on the plateau on mainly easy runs and meet OH for lunch at one of the many huts dotted around.

For a nonskier Ortisei is great. Only thing I would say is that it is a LONG, awkward way back to Ortisei from the far reaches of the SR. At the end of the day you could definitely catch the SR Express underground down the Saslong, to Seceda then ski back down to Ortisei down the James Bond run or whatever they call it then bootpack to wherever you're staying, but you would be adding a lot of faff. Nonetheless, Alpe di Siusi is one of the best beginner/intermediate areas around.

I'd agree with Colfosco as a No. 1 choice for a mixed group that included beginners. Easy to progress in the Edelweiss area or go down to Corvara, and for stronger skiers up to Dantercepies. If the weather is nice there should be decent walks/snowshoeing
snow conditions
We went to Corvara this half term with a mixed group and all enjoyed it. To the original final poster I’d agree with Corvara or Colfosco. We loved the scenery and sunshine in the Dolomites so looking to go back next year. We’ll have a few strong skiers, some who’ve done just 1 week and one less keen skier who prefers to stay local so we might need to meet up after ski school some days. My OH wants to go to Cortina as we covered a lot of the Sella Ronda area this year. I’m concerned it’s a bit pricey and disjointed. Cortina doesn’t seem to be recommended on here as a base. Is there anyone who could give me some inside knowledge?
snow conditions
LadyDi wrote:
We went to Corvara this half term with a mixed group and all enjoyed it. To the original final poster I’d agree with Corvara or Colfosco. We loved the scenery and sunshine in the Dolomites so looking to go back next year. We’ll have a few strong skiers, some who’ve done just 1 week and one less keen skier who prefers to stay local so we might need to meet up after ski school some days. My OH wants to go to Cortina as we covered a lot of the Sella Ronda area this year. I’m concerned it’s a bit pricey and disjointed. Cortina doesn’t seem to be recommended on here as a base. Is there anyone who could give me some inside knowledge?

Cortina can be pretty pricey, no way around that unless you're willing to commute. A lot of the accommodation is owned as second homes by wealthy Italian families who roll up on sunny weekends and holidays, so the little accommodation that is available for rental is in demand. The other option is hotels with steepish rates. Though I wouldn't say it is any more expensive than Corvara.

There are two separate sides to the ski area and they aren't linked, so you're best to stick to one side per day. Thankfully there is a good variety of runs on the Tofana side with an extensive area of progressor blues above Socrepes. Faloria/Cristallo is a bit steeper with more reds on the mountain. The scenery is spectacular, so definitely worth visiting as a daytrip even if you don't stay there.
latest report
luigi wrote:
As to resort recommendations, La Villa & San Cassiano are going to be cheaper than Selva or Corvara as they are slightly off the circuit, not a bad tging as they do have easy access to blue heaven for the nervous skiers. You might have to do it independently though.

Hmm, san Cassiano is generally not that cheap.
ski holidays
A word of warning re Corvara, I'd thoroughly recommend the village, and thoroughly NOT recommend the Hotel Greif. Only hotel in Italy I've stayed in where the menu is full of warnings that the food has previously been frozen.
snow report
I’m in Alba at the moment, near to Canazei, Albas very quiet, Canazei seems a bit livelier and has direct access to the SR plus the Belevedere area is good for learners, it’s also very good valve accommodation wise.
ski holidays
Ghost Dog wrote:
A word of warning re Corvara, I'd thoroughly recommend the village, and thoroughly NOT recommend the Hotel Greif. Only hotel in Italy I've stayed in where the menu is full of warnings that the food has previously been frozen.

Maybe the van delivering the fresh ingredients got stuck in a snowdrift overnight so they arrived frozen?! snowHead Laughing
snow conditions
@fs, Did you reach a conclusion on where your mixed group will base itself?
snow report
Just to point out that Corvara and Colfosco are very close together and linked by an almost horizontal gondola which stays open a bit later than most of the other lifts. There may be a shuttle bus as well. it's perfectly feasible to stay in one and spend plenty of time skiing in the other.

Colfosco I would say is better for beginners and there are more pistes tucked away that are not clearly visible from the bottom.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy