Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski boots with walk mode

Poster: A snowHead
I'm in the market for a new pair of boots. I'd say I'm an intermediate skier, but also like afternoon apres (unfortunately wearing ski boots).

So was really considering the Apex/Dahu due to their snowboard style liner. I've since talked myself out of it due to mixed reviews and no 'real' customisation of the shell.

So I'm now looking at backcountry style boots with walk mode. Something like the Dalbello Pantera.

Has anyone got any experience with these? Are they much better/more comfortable than a standard boot for walking in?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have Technica Zero Gs. I actually rarely put them in walk mode because then I forget to take them out of walk mode until I have skied about half the day, and I notice when I'm about to eat lunch. I find those boots relatively comfortable to walk in with them in ski mode. Just loosen the buckles for apres.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dangerMouse!, is your problem that your boots aren't comfortable whilst actually walking, or whilst in the apres bars? Walk mode may improve the motion of walking (slightly) but unless you are spending a significant portion of your (ski) time walking/skinning uphill, i personally don't think it is worth the extra cost, complexity and risk of breaking. A grip walk sole may* improve the walking motion somewhat, without the need for the walk mode.
I can't comment on the effect of a walk mode on the dancing aspect, as I don't really do that.

*The caveat here is that I've not tried grip walk. My boots have the now-defunct WTR sole which definitely improves walking but I believe that WTR "walks" better than grip walk.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dangerMouse!, ski boots with a walk mode (other than touring/ crossover boots) have largely disappeared, possibly because the older walk modes made very little difference to walking an had an increased risk of breakage, for the most part you will add £150 or there abouts to a standard alpine boot to get its crossover cousin.... question is why not just take off youe ski boots and put on some shoes for apres Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Learn to snowboard
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hang11 wrote:
Learn to snowboard

Never!!! Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am trying to sell my Atomic skis and was asked if the bindings were suitable for grip walk mode boots. I have no idea about this. Won't any ski boots fit a standard binding? Also my old boots had a button on the back to switch them into 'walk mode'. Those buttons became stiff and unusuable after a while. I find it easier just to undo the top clips at end of day.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dangerMouse! wrote:
hang11 wrote:
Learn to snowboard

Never!!! Laughing

Nothing wrong with snowboarding. I have explained to all four of my kids that I am happy if they want to take up snowboarding. But I only pay for ski kit and ski holidays, so they would have to self-fund. They have all chosen to stick to skiing so far!

On a serious note I remain somewhat jealous of my snowboarding colleagues when riding deep powder, they always look so elegant.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mgrolf wrote:
@dangerMouse!, is your problem that your boots aren't comfortable whilst actually walking, or whilst in the apres bars? Walk mode may improve the motion of walking (slightly) but unless you are spending a significant portion of your (ski) time walking/skinning uphill, i personally don't think it is worth the extra cost, complexity and risk of breaking. A grip walk sole may* improve the walking motion somewhat, without the need for the walk mode.
I can't comment on the effect of a walk mode on the dancing aspect, as I don't really do that.

*The caveat here is that I've not tried grip walk. My boots have the now-defunct WTR sole which definitely improves walking but I believe that WTR "walks" better than grip walk.

Its a bit of both. I'm still on my original boots from 7/8 years ago. I bought them from ellis brigham with their full surefit custom orthotics and shell adjustment service. I think I went back about 2/3 times to have the toe and ankle areas adjusted. They fit OK, but its such a relief to take them off a the end of the day. I'll probably go back to ellis brigham to fit my new boots. The indoor slope makes it easy to go between slope and boot fitter multiple times in a few hours.

Its not just the apres, where we tend to stay there is a bit of a walk between chalet and ski lift. Even a 10 minute walk in ski boots isn't fun.
then spending an hour or so in the Follie standing/dancing would be much nicer of the boot had a flexible ankle.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM wrote:
@dangerMouse!, ski boots with a walk mode (other than touring/ crossover boots) have largely disappeared, possibly because the older walk modes made very little difference to walking an had an increased risk of breakage, for the most part you will add £150 or there abouts to a standard alpine boot to get its crossover cousin.... question is why not just take off youe ski boots and put on some shoes for apres Puzzled Puzzled

Maybe I'm getting a bit mixed up with the difference between ski boots with a walk mode and touring/ crossover boots.

I found this list, and they all look like ski boots to me? Laughing I'm not exactly sure how to distinguish the difference
https://mtnweekly.com/reviews/ski-boots-with-walk-mode/

Atomic also make some that have a very strong aluminium lock (not sure why they arent on that list)
https://www.ellis-brigham.com/atomic-hawx-prime-xtd-120-tech-gw-ski-boots-2021-712005
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oblos wrote:
I am trying to sell my Atomic skis and was asked if the bindings were suitable for grip walk mode boots. I have no idea about this. Won't any ski boots fit a standard binding? Also my old boots had a button on the back to switch them into 'walk mode'. Those buttons became stiff and unusuable after a while. I find it easier just to undo the top clips at end of day.

it doesn't sound like it https://www.skimag.com/gear/bindings/guide-to-gripwalk-boot-binding-compatibility/

https://www.atomic.com/en/files/pdf/boot-binding-compatibility-chart-21-22.pdf

Grip walk isn't unique to boots with walk mode. Most boots seem to feature it now.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 28-01-22 11:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Oblos, the answer is maybe (helpful, i know). @Spyderjon recently posted a diagram showing which bindings are compatible - have a search for his posts on grip walk.

@dangerMouse!, at risk of heading down the bootfitter vs bootseller rabbit hole, if your boots fit really well then walking for 10 minutes or so really shouldn't be much problem. You say,

Quote:

They fit OK, but its such a relief to take them off a the end of the day.

To me, this sounds like the fit could be much better. First port of call for me would be a really good bootfitter (like @CEM who isn't a million miles from you) to be put in the right boot for your foot and skiing style/ability.
If you need the tech inserts, touring ability etc then one of the boots on the list you link may be right but I would not be paying the extra for them just to get a walk mode.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@dangerMouse!, Have you looked at the Nordica HF (rear entry boots make a reappearance !)

No idea what they are like for walking tho'...

https://www.nordica.com/uk-ireland/en/men/boots/medium-wide-102mm-2/hf
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
albob wrote:
@dangerMouse!, Have you looked at the Nordica HF (rear entry boots make a reappearance !)

No idea what they are like for walking tho'...

https://www.nordica.com/uk-ireland/en/men/boots/medium-wide-102mm-2/hf

I did see those! You'd think releasing the back might give you similar ankle movement to a ski boot with flex. Although I cant find any reviews that confirm it..
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you ski, you might as well give rear entry a go. You might like it Very Happy
snow report
CEM wrote:

This. You can carry some ultralight woven trainers in a small pack and barely notice them or stash them by an appropriate ski rack/under a bench. I really wouldn't buy a specific ski boot just to aid dodgy apres.
snow report
hang11 wrote:
If you ski, you might as well give rear entry a go. You might like it Very Happy

Embarassed
snow report
@dangerMouse!, I have the Dalbello Pantera's from about 2018.

The walk/ski mode toggle on my right boot has snapped, so now I have to have it permanently in walk or ski. Can barely even tell the difference between the two when walking.

They're very comfortable, but also possibly slightly too big, cheers Snow and Rock. (also partly my own fault for buying them, but I know a lot more about boots now than I did then!)
snow report
I really liked my grip walk soles over alpine for walking. will be adding them to my alpine boots next week if CEM add zipfits to them.
snow report
swskier wrote:
@dangerMouse!, I have the Dalbello Pantera's from about 2018.

The walk/ski mode toggle on my right boot has snapped, so now I have to have it permanently in walk or ski. Can barely even tell the difference between the two when walking.

They're very comfortable, but also possibly slightly too big, cheers Snow and Rock. (also partly my own fault for buying them, but I know a lot more about boots now than I did then!)

Always good to hear a review from someone that owns a pair! Thanks.

Dalbello say they made the boots lighter and redesigned the locking feature to make it stronger for the 21/22 boots.

Interesting to hear how you can barely tell the difference! I probably need to try some before I commit.
latest report
Modern Alpine Touring, Hybrid, Freetouring boots ski as well as any modern commercial ski boots, to the degree we only have 3 models of Alpine Fixed cuff boots to choose from these days. If you want to feel the difference between fixed and hiking models, jump straight into a full WC shell. The Pantera is a pretty old design now, take a look at Lange's XT3, Tecnica's 5th Generation Cochise.
ski holidays
CH2O wrote:
Modern Alpine Touring, Hybrid, Freetouring boots ski as well as any modern commercial ski boots, to the degree we only have 3 models of Alpine Fixed cuff boots to choose from these days. If you want to feel the difference between fixed and hiking models, jump straight into a full WC shell. The Pantera is a pretty old design now, take a look at Lange's XT3, Tecnica's 5th Generation Cochise.

thanks. Sounds like you know your boots!

My current boots are a 102mm last, and I still had them blown out a little. Unfortunately the XT3's are 100mm and Cochise are 99mm.
I think the Atomic XTD is 100mm as well, although it is apparently fully mouldable.
latest report
@dangerMouse!, I wore a pair once
latest report
@dangerMouse!, All boots can be adjusted buddy, don't buy/fit yourself to the widest point, buy to the narrowest and expand.
snow conditions
CH2O wrote:
@dangerMouse!, All boots can be adjusted buddy, don't buy/fit yourself to the widest point, buy to the narrowest and expand.

That's sounds like solid advice, thank you.

It's just clicked, you must be the Steve that Jon at the Piste Office recommended.

I'd be making an appointment if I was in Chamonix this season.
ski holidays
@dangerMouse!,

I think the answer is 'No' for a few reasons.

Sounds like the current boots don't really fit. The solution is to get different boots. I think that there is almost certainly an awful lot of hocus pocus about orthotics and boot fitting (I expect a lot of disagreement- from bootfitters and from people who have spent a lot of money on boot fitting). But shell sizes are certainly different and there was an excellent article a good few years ago in Fall Line.

Touring boots may no longer fit alpine bindings you will be using. There are all sorts of issues there.

Other solutions are as people say- snowboard, learn to telemark the boots are lighter than alpine- but not as light as modern touring boots and some will have a rocker (i.e. a convex sole)I tele in walk mode almost all the time- as do a good number of other people- this is a niche solution.
snow report
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy