Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots in off season

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all,

I can't remember how boots should be left over the off season!

Is it buckles done up, or leave them loose?

Cheers:)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mark2010, wear them! When you're not wearing them, I'd do the buckles up. I'm sure I've read that somewhere around here by someone who knows what they're talking about. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mark2010, Make sure your liners are completely dry, put them back in the shells and buckle lightly. Store them away from direct sunlight and especially mice, mind you fish can also do a lot of damage rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
LARGEZOOKEEPER, my aunt had her custom liners eaten by mice...is it a common problem?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cool, thanks guys
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ian Hopkinson, happened to a friend of mine as well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Must be a very fat mouse by now
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ian Hopkinson, Yup very common, apparently the little bugs just love smelly liners Blush
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It is probably best therefore if you take the mice out of your boots before putting them away for the summer wink Razz
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Make sure your liners are completely dry

Are we talking the footbed / Insole or can you get more out of the boot. I think mine would eat the mouse rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, you can get the whole liner out - leaving you with a plastic shell - I'm not sure if you're supposed to but I've managed to get mine in and out a few times...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, Ian Hopkinson, As the occupants of room 51 would vouch, on a holiday which shall not be named, a certain person (Euan) would make me take my liners out of my boots every evening… so it must be okay Little Angel Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hubby takes his out every night after skiing, and dries them out before putting them on again next morning.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, Taking the liners out frequently is highly recommended, moisture is the number 2 enemy of ski boot liners after mice of course ! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mark2010, Ski boots need regular practice (just like skiers)... so the best way to store them is to use them at your nearest articificial slope....otherwise they'll forget what to do....... Shocked
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Hubby takes his out every night after skiing, and dries them out before putting them on again next morning.

I used to do this but several people who ought to know have told me that this wears the liners out unnecessarily quickly. Take them out once a week is apparently the way to do it. No doubt others will have strong views on this.
snow conditions
richmond wrote:
Helen Beaumont wrote:

I used to do this but several people who ought to know have told me that this wears the liners out unnecessarily quickly. Take them out once a week is apparently the way to do it. No doubt others will have strong views on this.

I concur! I bought some of those dryers years ago that are crystal based and absorb water. I use them thru the week, then remove my liners when I'm home for 24-48 hours, then put them away in the bedroom.

Don't store them in the loft, it can get incredibly hot up there.

regards,

greg
latest report
richmond wrote:
Helen Beaumont wrote:

If the inner boot doesn't dry properly inside the boot, it is better to take it out and dry, in my opinion. On the other hand .. nothing's better than the smell of a semi-wet worn boot... I'll get a hard time getting the smell right, if you always leave your boot in dry condition. Embarassed
latest report
gregh wrote:

I concur! I bought some of those dryers years ago that are crystal based and absorb water. I use them thru the week, then remove my liners when I'm home for 24-48 hours, then put them away in the bedroom.

A fellow skier recommended this http://www.snowandrock.com/shop/products/ESOBU.htm electric boot warmer. It blows warm air into the boots to dry them, and apparently also emits UV light to kill bacteria. I got one for my birthday back in April but I haven't had a chance to use it in anger yet so I can't comment on its usefulness. Folded, its about the size of a small chicken (well, that's what it looks like Confused ). Ok, a pigeon then. What I'm trying to say is it fits easily into a boot-bag Smile .
latest report
WiRED, I've got one of those and it does a good job of drying the inside of your ski boot liners (a gentle heat, so doesn't seem to affect any thermal footbeds). I also take the liners out of the shells once or twice a week because moisture also gets between the shell and the liner, and the warm air dryer isn't able to dry this.
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, Ah, thanks for the tip. Having stayed in a chalet with a boot warming rack this year, I just can't go back to the possibility of cold, wet boots first thing in the morning again.

Mark2010, I usually take the liners out at the end of the week, let them dry/air for a few days, then spray some anti-bacterial shoe freshener into them. Then re-assemble and buckle up gently, ready for next time. I've currently had 6 years from my current boots with no sign yet of degradation (apart from the usual scuffs and scrapes and a couple of gouges where I've tried to ski up my own leg rolling eyes ).
snow report
WiRED, I agree, cold wet boots are a bad way to start the day.
snow report
When I was having my boots thermally fitted or whatever the Salomon trademarked jargon for it is the fitter gave me this advice about the electric warmer thingys:

- Get them. Dry your boots in your room overnight - apparently letting them dry on the boot rack in the boiler room of your B&B is poor form to your boots

- Using them not only does not adversely affect your boots, but has the quite positive effect of re-fitting the boots that day. I can quite agree with this as my old technica's fitted like a dream in the morning but by lunch had warmed up and my feet were slopping around like proverbial things which flop about. My current boots fit like a glove after they have been gently warmed overnight.

- What could be better than starting the day in a pair of warm boots?!

He also suggested in the absence of these gadgets, go to the ski shop at the bottom of the hill, chat up a lonely looking staff member and have them put your boots on the formers again for a couple of mintues - only a couple mind as this could potentially ruin the liners forming if left on for too long.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy