Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pierre a Ric skinning

Poster: A snowHead
Here's the original post
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10227385244477212&id=1

...but someone re-posted it on a ski tourer group and it started a discussion next to which Brexit arguments are an afternoon tea chat with grandma.

I personally believe they're both at fault, just not for the same reasons.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
patrick! wrote:

I personally believe they're both at fault, just not for the same reasons.

[/thread]
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Isn't skinning banned on pierre à ric? It certainly was a couple of years ago (the official track through the trees is much nicer anyway). So tourer shouldn't be anywhere on that slope.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You are not allowed to ski up the Pierre ric. Early morning (just after lift opening) it's one of the few places in Cham you can realy ski at speed safely...or it should be. Scaared myself stupid , came flying over one of the rolleovers at 80mph and nearly decaetated a randoman!

Plice have been called to several incidents there over the last few years.....NO uphill allowed!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What @Idris, said.

Seems to be an increasing trend of uphillers on the side or further afield on Piste where they have no place being (officially or otherwise) in the Chamonix valley.

Often the pisteurs will pull people up.

I genuinely cannot understand this as there is more than enough uphill acreage for going upwards safely away from the piste.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Idris, @HammondR, yeah but substitute the idiot rando guy for a kid snow ploughing? The guy went over that roller fast enough that he only missed an unexpected human obstruction through a combination of luck and quick reactions
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Arno, yep, I’m with you on that line of thought.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It is a bit like the old driving instruction to expect a broken down car in the wrong lane, just around the blind corner.

The tourer is still being a lady's front bottom though! Reminds me of the last (rare) time I really, really lost my temper while skiing. I was doing a giant slalom and one of those piste photographers had snuck on the course, and was hiding behind a gate just over a roller Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno wrote:
@Idris, @HammondR, yeah but substitute the idiot rando guy for a kid snow ploughing? The guy went over that roller fast enough that he only missed an unexpected human obstruction through a combination of luck and quick reactions

It seems the guy was an Argentiere ski instructor and knew he was first off the first lift of the day. In that case, not sure you can blame him for taking that rare opportunity to smash out a quick lap expecting a clear piste.

You have to be pretty stupid to be traversing the middle of a piste under a blind roller during opening hours! Ski tourer fully to blame here IMO.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
With more context, I now lean more on the downhill skier's side. He was first out of the lift that morning, and there were zero traces. I've never seen that piste so nicely groomed (as we ski it once, at end of day), but I would've done exactly what he did. A tad bit slower, of course.

His post raises a good question, and part of the answer is quite clear to me: let's avoid ski tour on non dedicated pistes. Or, simply: there are rules, people should simply respect them.

I miss last year's open domains though Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tourer should not have been there, esp not crossing underneath a blind roller like that, mental.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno wrote:

Off first bin there should be no one one the piste - traditionaly this is where Dynastar (and others) would stability test their prototypes. Only thing that might be in the way is a wild animal and they generaly don't hang about in open spaces.

In most if not all resorts, if you read (which no one does) the arete municipal (the bylaw governing the ski area) these say uphill traffic is only allowed outside the pistes markers or (and this is new in the last decade) on a dedicated uphill track. This rule has been on the arete municpals have been around since before most if not all of Snowheads were born!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
First off the first lift does change it a bit but he’s still smashing it over a blind roller on an open piste. If he finds an unexpected obstruction not sure he can absolve himself of all responsibility
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have been to plenty of races where a tourer has been skinning up the course, I presumed it was some passive-aggressive thing to make a point that everywhere on the mountain should be open to them.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There should be no 'us' vs. 'them', quite often people enjoy both touring (at different levels) and downhill.
ski holidays
@idris imo there is never any excuse for skiing at a speed where you cannot stop because you might hit someone.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy