Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Choosing new twin tips/fun skis for the upcoming winter.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of buying new skis for when the winter arrives (if ever, ugh!).

I've only been riding 'all-round' skis all my life, and they don't seem to cut it anymore. So I decided that I'd be better off buying two pairs of skis this year. I've been skiing for years now, and I like racing fast on the steep and icy slopes here in scandinavia, which is why I bought the agressive Fischers. I'm 183 cm tall (=6 foot) and I weigh 75 kg (probably around 175 lbs), and I'm 23 years old and pretty strong and athletic built. My one pair is Fischer RC4 WC SC, which I've already bought. My brother and I like to race eachother and these skis are almost perfect for this.

However, I also want another pair of skis, since I also want to have a pair of fun and relaxed skis. I'm probably not going to race all day. Another thing is that I want to start doing tricks in snow park (pipes and jumps and such). What I want is a pair of twin tips that'll do me well in the park and are super easy to ride - a sort of 'beginners park skis', since I've never really been doing 'tricks'. They are not going to be used for powder skiing at all - I don't really do that (mostly because of where I ski Smile).

I was at the local ski shop yesterday and looked at twin tips and talked to the salesman in the shop. They had a pair of Salomon 1080 Foil, which I've heard should be a good pair of skis. The man, however, wouldn't recommend them for me, he though they were for a more experienced skiers (in the park). So naturally, I didn't buy any skis, since they were the only non-pow twintips they had. Smile

Any recommendations as for what skis I should go for?

This are the skis I've been looking at:

Salomon 1080 Thruster
Salomon 1080 Foil
K2 Fujitive
Public Enemy

Are any of those skis for me? Also, what length should I look for? The man said, that if I bought the 1080's I should get around 180 cm, but doesn't that seem really long?

Best regards,
Anders Christensen
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Strid, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I'm really not the man to talk to, I bought my skis 'blind' and it seemed to work out pretty well.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Twin tips ski at least 5cm shorter because of the twin. The cheaper twins like the Volkl Dogen & the Fujative might fit the bill for pure park work but ask the industry types like SZK & they'll probably point you higher up the range to fatter twin tips as they are more all rounders & also perform pretty well in powder & trees.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to snowHeads Strid snowHead

I'd say your shop man might not be quite on the ball here.

If u were heading more in an off-piste/freeriding direction, I'd understand him recommending longer skis but from the description of your situation/plans above, I'd definitely go for something shorter than that. Shorter skis are going to be a bit easier to manouver if your starting out learning tricks. I wouldn't go above 170 and I'd even suggest you consider 160/165.

I skied some Rossi Scratch FS recently and they felt really lively - made me want to make lots of fast short turns and get off the ground as often as possible. Quite a buzz and would seem to suit your spec.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hey everyone - thanks for the warm welcome! Smile

I'm glad I came and here and asked! So a shorter ski will suit me better - that makes more sence. So he was right not to recommend the 1080's for me, hehe...

I was also looking at a pair of Völkl Dogen - they're only 250€ incl binding, but now I found the Rossignol Scratch FS for 360€ (incl. binding) which is also seems cheap indeed. I found a couple of reviews of Scratch FS... They look great!! Should I go for 167 cm? Looking at them, I find them more and more appealing -- they seem to be a really fun and easy ski, am I right and this is exacly what I'm looking for. Do you think they're good for learning to ride the park?

If anyone else thinks I should get these, I will go down and buy them as soon as possible!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, do get another opinion or two - theoretically the scratches are designed for what u want to do and I liked them a lot for the reasons I mentioned but I'm hardly a ParkMonkey so basically I'm making it up as I go along Wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, I went to the shop again today and talked to them. This is what I ended up with

Race ski: Fischer RC4 Worldcup SC (160 cm) (~350$)
Fun ski: K2 Fujative (159 cm) (~340$)
Nordica GT Boots which was a perfect fit for my foot (~170$)

I think I got quite a bargain aswell as I think I got exacly what I wanted. Atleast the salesman convinced me, that this was good stuff for me. Smile
Now I only need a new set of poles and a new helmet.

Thank you for the input, guys!
Anders Christensen
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Strid, wow - that was decisive - when do you get to ski with this stuff? snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Heh, that is the big question! Twenty weeks from now, I have 6 weeks of vacation - I hope to get a couple of weeks in UK or Sweden/Norway, then again for Christmas/New year holliday and then I have two weeks of vacation in febuary, where I've planned to go to da Czech Republic for skiing. Now I just have to wait for the snow to fall.

I'm so excited right now... Don't think I could be happier with what I got! Smile Also, the summer seems to be a good time for getting new skis, since I really got my stuff really cheap as compared to if I was to buy skis right before I would go skiing.

I think I will perform the indian ritual snow dance -- that'll teach this darn warm summer a lesson! Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thu Fujatievs will be ace!! All the guys I kniow who bought them, absolutely LOVED them!! And a coulpe were ski guiding on them too!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Twenty weeks from now, I have 6 weeks of vacation - I hope to get a couple of weeks in UK or Sweden/Norway
I'd go for the Scandinavian option if I was u: snow conditions are generally not too great in the UK at that time of year Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There was not much snow in the UK this year before february, Norway is a much safer bet. Have you thought about germany.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In terms of terrain the UK is very limited. Winterhighland.com should give you an idea of whats on offer. I have heard Norway and Sweeden can be quite expensive which is why I have suggested Germany. Finland has some good terrain as far as I know. I myself bought some twin tips (atomic triplets) and am regretting not going longer (mine are 162) I think when you ski this short, you find the speed limit of the ski quite quickly. I have heard great things about the fujatives though. I myself am looking into getting some of next years teneightys or perhaps the k2 public enemys.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy