Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Luggage for Ski Trips

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for recommendations for luggage to take all my clothing on our ski trip.

What is the best type to look at?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are not taking skis or boots - just take what you would normally use, within the weight limit.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Use a holdall rather than a suitcase.

Much more flexible, a lot less weight when empty (no frame or wheels to break) yet strong enough to outwit most baggage handlers.

Once you’ve had one you won’t want to go back to a suitcase which probably takes a previous 6kgs of your costly 20kgs airline allowance.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have a 90litre North Face base camp duffle bag, more than big enough for helmet, boots and clothing for one person. It's waterproof should it end up on snowy ground during coach / car transfers and squashes down when empty as luggage space in all the ski accommodation I've been to always seems minimal. Only snag when flying to /from ski resorts with them, there always seems to be loads at baggage reclaim! There are other companies that make similar too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
duplicate!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 27-01-22 17:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Duffle, holdall, Split Roller. Anything light!

I have a 100l Dakine Split Roller - only paid €105 just over 6 years ago. No busted seams, no broken zips.
Can easily take my luggage allowance. + some!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mrsgrg, surely if you are only taking clothing for a ski trip a carryon bag is all you need.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Got the missus a Dakine 365 120L split roller for Xmas (she carries a lot of stuff) and this is ideal for all her needs, boots/helmets the lot. Managed to get it for just over a £100 ....can't remember from where, but think it was a Sea Divers shop in the UK. Have since bought myself a surfanic 100litre roller holdall which i got for £60, appear to be good, but assume the Dakine one will last a bit longer.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mrsgrg wrote:
Looking for recommendations for luggage to take all my clothing on our ski trip.

What is the best type to look at?

It depends on both what you're planning to put in the luggage and how you're traveling. Very difficult to provide helpful advice without knowing both of these.

If it's only clothing and you're flying, no need to do anything different to when your travel on any other trip.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Defo a holdall you can collapse it in the accomdation and stick under a bed with luck. I have a cheapish 100 ltr wheeled holdall bought from TKmaxx years ago it has withstood 30+ flights and a train tour around Europe I'm reluctant to use a good quality bag on an aircraft having seem the way they are thrown around I carry my helmet in my hand luggage where possible but boots go in the bag wheels are a must. Always use a strap around the bag as an aid to identifying on the luggage merry go round and to give you a chance when it splits.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Simon94 wrote:
Got the missus a Dakine 365 120L split roller for Xmas (she carries a lot of stuff) and this is ideal for all her needs, boots/helmets the lot. Managed to get it for just over a £100 ....can't remember from where, but think it was a Sea Divers shop in the UK. Have since bought myself a surfanic 100litre roller holdall which i got for £60, appear to be good, but assume the Dakine one will last a bit longer.

I'd get two people's gear in a 120l split roller!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jedster, I'd get two people's gear in a 120l split roller!.......@jedster, you haven't met my missus Madeye-Smiley !
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I have a 100l Dakine Split Roller

Exactly the same! Great bags. My son has a smaller one for local trips as well.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We love our Eastpak transverz bags.

https://www.johnlewis.com/eastpak-tranverz-2-wheel-79cm-large-case/black/p5065198

121 L and 3.7 kilos. We have done dozens of hols with these over the last 8 years and they are really good quality.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Simon94 wrote:

I have a Sufanic one, three trips and the material is looking scuffed to the point of wear/fraying a bit on the hard corners after three or four trips. Looking for a sale on the Dakine stuff after this trip.......
ski holidays
rdk wrote:
Quote:

I have a 100l Dakine Split Roller

Exactly the same! Great bags. My son has a smaller one for local trips as well.

+2. Bulletproof, flexible packing and easy to roll.

Also have a smaller one as well for shorter trips, same great quality.
snow conditions
I have a berghaus Mule, 100L capacity.

It has a solid base with wheels if you're a wimp at carrying 23kg, but the top is soft so it can be worn like a rucksack and pack down to slip under a bed in resort, if you have the space to unpack that is Laughing .

Perfect for me
ski holidays
Quote:

I have a berghaus Mule, 100L capacity.

+1 - works perfectly for me.
latest report
Quote:

Defo a holdall you can collapse it in the accomdation and stick under a bed with luck.

Definitely this. Personally, I find it essential that I can carry all my stuff myself, which rules out one incredibly heavy and cumbersome bag. I couldn't carry a fully laden roller bag up and down a set of stairs, or for that matter an icy road. So would split between a comfortable backpack and, probably, a ski bag - lots of bits and pieces of clothing can pack round a pair of skis (or a snowboard for that matter). For just clothing, a backpack would be more than enough.

If I were a man, travelling with a woman who takes far more than she needs, I'd make sure she knew she had to carry it herself. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
on another quick note if you do take skis can you put more than one set in the bag or is the charge per set
ski holidays
I usually fly BA and put a board bag in the hold with all of outerwear, snowboard kit etc as my 23kg allowance.

And I use one of these as carry on with my other clothes
https://www.eastpak.com/uk-en/luggage-c140/strapverz-s-black-pEK96L008+00+999.html

Really pleased with the Eastpak.
snow report
I've also got a Berghaus Mule 100l. Fits in clothes, boots and helmet comfortably.
ski holidays
Do people really pack helmets in ski bags?

After years of traveling for work i only ever use hardshell cases, even my skis are in a hard case sportube. The hybrid suitcases are almost as light as the fabric holdall bags. I recently looked at streamlining my baggage a bit to see if i could avoid having any checked bags other than skis but just couldn't make it work.
latest report
We use a large and a medium Dakine split-roller between three of us; they’re nice and light, and manoeuvrable. I’ve told the child that she can’t grow any more because her stuff now takes up way more space than it used to…
snow report
I gave my answer above on the basis that the OP had suitable luggage that could be used....so avoiding the need to spend extra on "Skiing Luggage".

If this is not the case (terrible pun alert), then a large vfm wheeled Holdall is the way to go.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy