Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bourg St Maurice for a base for three months

Poster: A snowHead
I am planning on living in a ski resort for around three months during a ski season, in a few years time. Just living and skiing - not working. I had thought about Bourg St Maurice as a base and driving to the many surrounding resorts.

Has anyone got advice on doing this, where to look for accommodation, multi-resort lift passes, other possible locations?

Any thoughts gratefully received!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds fun. There is this -
https://www.skialacarte.fr/FrontOffice/
But for a full season I would expect that would be expensive for lift tickets. Realistically I think picking one of the mega-resorts for a season pass and do the odd day trip to the others. If you're staying in BSM access to Les Arcs would be easiest. Personally I would stay on snow at Les Arcs and use the funicular from time to time to access the town for shopping and the day trips.
Season accommodation in Arc 1800 for example can be had for about $4000 euro from what I can see.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Enolfa Kerr, Problem there is that Paradiski, Espace Killy, La Rosiere, Ste Foy, all have seperate lift passes, so it would be very expensive to ski them all.
For a three month trip Austria provides the lift passes you need. For less than the price of just a Paradiski Season Pass you can get a Salzburger Superski Pass which cover well over 2000km of skiing, spread over dozens of resorts. The TirolCard does something similar. Austria is also better for car based skiing, lots of smaller one/two day resorts to visit, easily accessible (no miles of steep hairpins), almost invariably with free parking at the bottom. We did this for 12 weeks in Salzburger Superski a few years ago, had a great time, and it cost far less than most people budget for a season.
For France, unless you have massive amounts of money to throw at lift passes you may as well just choose one of the big ski areas.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Enolfa Kerr,
For accommodation try relevant resort seasonnaire groups on Facebook (eg Tignes Seasonnaires 2022).
Don't discount living in the actual resorts - they all have cheaper & more expensive areas for season accommodation. They areas are all easily (road conditions permitting) driveable from each other.
Check what free or discount days each area lift-pass gives in the other areas. And check what discounts you can get on lift-passes by buying them early.

A few questions:-
Which 3 months are you looking at?
What is your budget & how is it split? (eg £x for accommodation; £y for food & drink; £z on lift-passes etc)
Would you be looking for sole occupancy or sharing?
Self-catering or catered?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Enolfa Kerr,I think staying in Bourg is a good idea if it's somewhere near the funicular. Spending 3 months in one of the arcs would get old quick, I've stayed in all bar 1600, they're great for holidays but I think would get boring and claustrophobic for 3 months. At least Bourg is an actual town with all the benefits that brings. The walk to the funi is not bad from the centre and you could take advantage of public transport if so required if you visit other nearby resorts in the area, but yeah Les Arcs is definitely the best one for a season pass if staying in Bourg. Something to bear in mind is February gets very busy due to the 4 week French school holidays.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Minion1980, It is just as easy to take the funicular down to Bourg as up. Except of course you don't have to do it every day. I'd just like to add that in most of the Les Arcs villages you have to pay an not incondiserable amount for car parking.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sbooker 4000 euro sounds great - where do I look for that sort of accommodation?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Kenzie, Hi Kenzie, thanks for the post, ideally mid Jan to mid Apr, it would be for my wife and I, two bedroom ... parking for a 4x4. The more I list the more demanding it sounds!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@RobinS, where did you base for your 12 weeks?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We spent most based in Flachau, but had odd weeks in cheap apartments in other resorts, Hainzenberg (Zillertal Arena), Westendorf, and Niederau. This enabled us to access loads of different skiing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Enolfa Kerr,
The more specific you are in what you require for accommodation the easier it will be to find what you want.

Would you be wanting to go out regularly in the evening or require 'home entertainment' in your accommodation? Will you have people coming to visit? Outdoor or indoor parking? I could go on.
For the record I did 5 seasons - 1 working in Meribel, 4 as a skibum (as you wish to be) in Tignes - 1 in shared accommodation, 3 with a four person apartment to myself. In Tignes I had a car, parked outdoors.
If possible I'd recommend doing the full season wherever you decide going - if nothing else it would increase your accommodation options. And you'd have a lot more fun!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Kenzie, four bed apartment to yourself?? Is it still available??
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Enolfa Kerr, Just for clarity, a four bed apartment in Tignes can still be a shoe box. 2 drop down bunks in the hallway and a double sofa bed in the lounge Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GeorgeVII wrote:
@Enolfa Kerr, Just for clarity, a four bed apartment in Tignes can still be a shoe box. 2 drop down bunks in the hallway and a double sofa bed in the lounge Laughing Laughing
Yep
But try asking tignes-spirit.com if they have it still. Also try chaletchardons.com for long stay catered accommodation.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Kenzie, It's all relative isn't it? When I did my 5 month stint there I had a whole 24 sq.mtrs AND a washing machine! It felt absolutely palatial after renting a couple of hutches above the Jam Bar in the Palafour building. One of which was only 11 sq.mtrs IIRC. I know that I could switch the kettle on with my big toe without getting out of bed for that first brew of the day. Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
@GeorgeVII,
My season in shared accommodation was 10 of us in what is now chez chocksaway. After that it was in 20 square meters on my own (except when family/friends invited themselves out). No washing machine though!
snow report
For Lift passes as mentioned above ski a la carte is a handy tool, particularly as its pay as you go and billed one month in arrears. Each resort has special offers - usually cheap Saturdays. Plus you get an ongoing loyalty one day for €1 (9th day then every 5th day after that)
https://www.skialacarte.fr/FrontOffice/index.xhtml?lang=en

Pre Christmas subscription is Half price withe the code WELCOME
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy