Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Electric Vehicle route to the alps

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@JohnS4, this might be an interesting read https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/dec/16/are-electric-cars-too-expensive-to-tempt-motorists-away-from-petrol-and-diesel-vehicles
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mines a company car, so the (nearly) free tax burden was a big choice for me...

Also as I'm on the Octopus EV tariff (others are available) it costs me around 2p / mile to charge, compared to the HMRC 10p / mile rebate, so I'm quids in (or would be if I ever did that much mileage...)

I've found that there's little difference to my driving habits, although I rarely do long journeys without the family, which may be why! I suppose the question isnt necessarily whether EV or ICEV is "better", but could you make things work if you had to with an EV. As that gets easier and as prices drop, the comparison is less stark.

TBH I can't wait to do my first long run to the mountains... (Scotland in the summer this year was good, but not the same). Perhaps we need a heatmap / thred of useful charging poins / hotels / etc.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Not sure what you mean by flaky either

Maybe that wasn't the most apt choice of word - I meant that folk were so sensitive to criticism that somebody asked for the thread to be censored to cut out the posts that weren't actually focussed on an EV route to the Alps.
wink

The point about the "missing" large Estate mirrored my experience when buying a new car after doing without one for some time during lockdown (I gave my car to son and family moving out of London, where they'd not had one). I wanted a small estate and the Skoda Fabia seemed to be the ONLY one. I have a friend who has an Octavia Estate, which was great but just a bit bigger than I needed. These chunky SUVs seem to be a triumph of form over function. Whether ICE or EV.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have nothing against EVs - they are definitely the future but the next couple of iterations will see big improvements, I'm sure. The existing models might have plenty of "battery life" in them but their current owners, being early adopters of new technology, will have moved on. I wonder what will happen to depreciation?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jedster wrote:
I'm contemplating a model Y...
How long did it take you door to door?
We just drove back form Les Contamines. Left at 4:30am, back in Marlow, Bucks 3pm (having benefitted by the hour difference). So 11:30 including refuelling vehicle and two drivers Smile
To be honest cruise control, lane assist, front assist, 4WD, winter tyres and a huge range on the 2l diesel makes our humble 2015 skoda a pretty relaxing and reassuring way of doing the journey. I find it hard to believe an EV would be better. But of course we don't own a car just for driving to the Alps!

I've now done the journey in both directions, Les Arcs to SW London, in a Model Y. The requirements of a drive to/from the Alps on 4 or 6 days a year was never for me going to determine my choice of car for the remaining 359 days or so; I would have been happy to add an overnight stop if absolutely necessary, but hoped that I could continue to do the journey in a full day's drive just like I had always done. That proved to be easily the case. It added 90-120 minutes to the journey time, which I think depends on how long you would have stopped along the way in an ICE car (if you are getting to Marlow by 3pm I suspect you aren't stopping for a long lunch). I didn't change how I drove, same speed, same route, etc, so the actual driving time was the same, the additional time was for EV charging when I had more time for rest than usual (I'm typically the only driver). With the modern driving aids, the driving itself was the most relaxed I've ever had, so for me the journey was extremely easy.

With that experience I'd say that the demands of an EV drive to the Alps shouldn't be any sort of factor in your choice of whether to get a Model Y or not.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@pam w, my Tesla Model Y is 49mm longer than a Skoda Octavia estate, 21mm wider and 156mm taller. So pretty similar footprint but a bit taller, and with significantly more storage. For sure a Range Rover is going to be a bigger car than the Octavia, is this what you meant by a chunky SUV? I think the Tesla Model Y is described as a compact SUV, although the term makes no sense to me as the space it takes up on the road is very similar, for example, to a Skoda Octavia and dozens of other similar cars, ICE and EV. Jane is currently driving a Skoda Fabia courtesy car as her's in in the garage being repaired, and it's way too small to be our main car.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
I have nothing against EVs - they are definitely the future but the next couple of iterations will see big improvements, I'm sure.
That's an interesting point, and I'm not sure there will be a step change in that kind of timescale. I think more likely we'll see continued improvement, but on the basis of marginal gains in a range of different departments rather than an revolutionary battery type or so far undeveloped electric motor. I think the changes over the last 15 years has been fairly linear, with some changes in battery chemistry, better software to maximise battery usage and particular using larger battery packs for some EV models. There's occasional news about big battery developments, such as solid state batteries, but that's been the case for a number of years and from what I can see we're not much closer to taking those developments out of the laboratory.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mooney058 wrote:
@paulhinch, I still do not understand Musk time, musk energy measurements, musk volume measurement:
You say model Y has 854 L of space with seats up. How come Skoda enyak with much lover rear space volume fits the same number of banana box (as per the famous Tesla Bjorn) in coupe disguise and 1 more in a regular SUV shape - 9 boxes for both Y and coupe Enyak and regular enyak SUV 10 banana boxes?


It's partly because Tesla measure the volume right up to the roof whereas other manufacturers quote the volume up to the top of the rear seats (or thereabouts). The model Y boot is big, but not that much bigger than others like the Enyaq. The model Y boot does have an odd shape, with deep recesses in the floor (rather than a flat floor) so it will take a lot, if the load is the right shape.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Fabia Estate is the only small estate I could find - back in the day we had things like Volvo and Cortina Estates, as family cars. I'm sure your Tesla is lovely - but there's no comparison in cost between that and a 9 year old Octavia estate. When I bought my car I quickly eliminated the Fabia hatchback as too small. I drove to and from the Alps, via Genoa in both directions, at Easter 2023 and found my car fine with plenty of storage space. I'm looking forward to being able to buy an EV which can take its place, at a sensible price.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
jedster wrote:
I'm contemplating a model Y...
How long did it take you door to door?
We just drove back form Les Contamines. Left at 4:30am, back in Marlow, Bucks 3pm (having benefitted by the hour difference). So 11:30 including refuelling vehicle and two drivers Smile
To be honest cruise control, lane assist, front assist, 4WD, winter tyres and a huge range on the 2l diesel makes our humble 2015 skoda a pretty relaxing and reassuring way of doing the journey. I find it hard to believe an EV would be better. But of course we don't own a car just for driving to the Alps!

I've now done the journey in both directions, Les Arcs to SW London, in a Model Y. The requirements of a drive to/from the Alps on 4 or 6 days a year was never for me going to determine my choice of car for the remaining 359 days or so; I would have been happy to add an overnight stop if absolutely necessary, but hoped that I could continue to do the journey in a full day's drive just like I had always done. That proved to be easily the case. It added 90-120 minutes to the journey time, which I think depends on how long you would have stopped along the way in an ICE car (if you are getting to Marlow by 3pm I suspect you aren't stopping for a long lunch). I didn't change how I drove, same speed, same route, etc, so the actual driving time was the same, the additional time was for EV charging when I had more time for rest than usual (I'm typically the only driver). With the modern driving aids, the driving itself was the most relaxed I've ever had, so for me the journey was extremely easy.

With that experience I'd say that the demands of an EV drive to the Alps shouldn't be any sort of factor in your choice of whether to get a Model Y or not.


Fully agree with you - I calculate 30-60 minutes extra per 1000 km. That said - I choose the Tesla Model Y because of the space, and especially because of the Tesla charging network. It is just the best network available, and makes me not think about charging.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DanishRider, there should be 1 network, same price for all. What's going on at the moment is ridiculous.

Hopefully things will go the way the small appliance chargers have been n the EU
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
With the modern driving aids, the driving itself was the most relaxed I've ever had, so for me the journey was extremely easy.


That would be true about many modern cars though, wouldn't it? It's not an EV-specific thing. My Volvo V60 (hybrid) is definitely the most relaxing car I've owned for long journeys, because of the adaptive cruise control, self steering etc.

Where the EV trumps even a modern ICEV is, IMO, the lack of noise - you don't notice it until it's not there (or conversely, in the V60, the battery runs out and the engine kicks in). Being able to talk to rear seat passengers without shouting makes a nice change.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
I'm sure your Tesla is lovely - but there's no comparison in cost between that and a 9 year old Octavia estate.
Of course, and I'm making no such claims. I just responded to your comment about the size of cars. I think if you want to have the option to seat 5 adults in relative comfort for a long journey and have a reasonable amount of luggage capacity there's a minimum size footprint that is common to all cars, regardless of how they powered. Obviously you can compromise on that minimum space requirement if you want a compact car. Equally you can go bigger. But the size of the cars I've driven for the last 15+ years hasn't really changed much, each of them having that basic requirement of 5 + luggage.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mgrolf wrote:
That would be true about many modern cars though, wouldn't it? It's not an EV-specific thing. My Volvo V60 (hybrid) is definitely the most relaxing car I've owned for long journeys, because of the adaptive cruise control, self steering etc.
Yes, absolutely. I've had adaptive cruise control on previous cars and that's been lovely to have on long motorway journeys. My current car is the first that I've owned with lane-keeping, and that was very nice to have driving to the Alps, but as you say, it's not an EV-specific feature.

mgrolf wrote:
Where the EV trumps even a modern ICEV is, IMO, the lack of noise - you don't notice it until it's not there (or conversely, in the V60, the battery runs out and the engine kicks in). Being able to talk to rear seat passengers without shouting makes a nice change.
At low speeds it's particularly noticeable, although once you get up to 80mph tyre noise and wind noise begins to eat in to the noise advantage of not having an engine up front.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

there should be 1 network, same price for all. What's going on at the moment is ridiculous

That does seem to be the case. Is there any likelihood it will change?
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
@DanishRider, there should be 1 network, same price for all. What's going on at the moment is ridiculous.

Hopefully things will go the way the small appliance chargers have been n the EU


I absolutely agree ! So many apps is needed - It’s ridiculous.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
there should be 1 network, same price for all. What's going on at the moment is ridiculous.


There isn't for petrol/diesel, although prices are relatively similar.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't have any problem driving long distances to the Alps without anything in the way of cruise control, lane steering etc. I find driving solo, with my own choice of music and audio books, supremely relaxing. But I WOULD appreciate a car which would park itself for me. I'm a useless parker.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mgrolf wrote:
mooney058 wrote:
@paulhinch, I still do not understand Musk time, musk energy measurements, musk volume measurement:
You say model Y has 854 L of space with seats up. How come Skoda enyak with much lover rear space volume fits the same number of banana box (as per the famous Tesla Bjorn) in coupe disguise and 1 more in a regular SUV shape - 9 boxes for both Y and coupe Enyak and regular enyak SUV 10 banana boxes?


It's partly because Tesla measure the volume right up to the roof whereas other manufacturers quote the volume up to the top of the rear seats (or thereabouts). The model Y boot is big, but not that much bigger than others like the Enyaq. The model Y boot does have an odd shape, with deep recesses in the floor (rather than a flat floor) so it will take a lot, if the load is the right shape.


Indeed, and it was slightly tongue in cheek. I was set on model Y (even had a referral from a friend who drives model X). Luckily I took everything at face value and the long promised 4680 batteries were about to be launched. The “about” bit was looong, giving me time to learn about “musk time”, “musk quality”, “musk service”, “musk range”. And I would not be to fussy about the panel gaps. Hopefully with a German tesla things got better but comparing “musk time/litters/kWh/etc is pointless as he just creates his own parameters. His game is to push volume sometimes of half-baked solutions. Decided I could not simply trust musk/tesla. Loads of hours spend on channels like tesla bjorn and other specialist websites realised that musk’s way of measuring boot space is “interesting”. Granted supercharger network is tesla’s main early advantage and selling point. But guess what - with proliferation of alternative fast charger solutions all of the sudden musk decided to open supercharger network to non tesla. This happened on the continent, it will happen in the UK. In any case fast chargers are mostly relevant on longer road trips. If you charge mostly at home - why tesla? Not preaching to others, just outlining my story. Will be choosing an EV this year and shortlist are (some models still to be tested once relesed):
- Skoda Enyaq;
- Nissan Arya
- Renault Scenic E
- Kia EV9 (love it and maybe overkill but would be excellent for road trips)
- audi q6


Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 3-01-24 21:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

there should be 1 network, same price for all. What's going on at the moment is ridiculous

That does seem to be the case. Is there any likelihood it will change?
New legislation has just come in to force in the UK. Not quite sure of the specifics, but I think future EV chargers should all have contactless payment terminals, so no need for apps or subscriptions to use them, just tap and go. There's also been talk about requiring interoperability, perhaps through accessible APIs to allow third party access to different charging networks. But it's all happening too slowly, and there are too many stories of unnecessarily difficult journeys because of charging problems.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@mooney058, I find it best to ignore Elon Musk. None of his promises played a role in my purchase decision, I tested a number of vehicles and bought what I thought was the best I could afford. I think when it comes to Elon your No.1 rule should be buy the product, not the promise.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MorningGory wrote:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
there should be 1 network, same price for all. What's going on at the moment is ridiculous.


There isn't for petrol/diesel, although prices are relatively similar.

But all petrol and Diesel cars can use any petrol or diesel pump
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's different though.
I agree common connectors make sense, but one network = no competition = high price.
I think the only connector difference in the UK is Tesla/other and I'm sure there are adapters available or the Tesla chargers have non-Tesla connectors as well, as non-Tesla cars can charge at them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MorningGory wrote:
That's different though.
I agree common connectors make sense, but one network = no competition = high price.
I think the only connector difference in the UK is Tesla/other and I'm sure there are adapters available or the Tesla chargers have non-Tesla connectors as well, as non-Tesla cars can charge at them.
Outside the US all Tesla for the last few years have been equipped with the same CCS connector as just about all other EVs. There are older Teslas which use their own connector, but adapters to use CCS are readily available. All Tesla Superchargers currently in use also offer CCS connections.


Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 3-01-24 21:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
@mooney058, I find it best to ignore Elon Musk. None of his promises played a role in my purchase decision, I tested a number of vehicles and bought what I thought was the best I could afford. I think when it comes to Elon your No.1 rule should be buy the product, not the promise.


I was pondering about this a lot. Besides some worries about the quality I could not simply hand my data. I tested Y and Enyaq the same weekend. I thought I would dislike skoda, but it was a better drive/suspension, it felt like q normal car and I did not like tesla’s ergonomics. Skoda was less efficient but after the recent face-lift enyaq is up there. Though Y is supposed to be renewed later this year. But for today’s decision I would be taking Enyaq over Y.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MorningGory wrote:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
there should be 1 network, same price for all. What's going on at the moment is ridiculous.


There isn't for petrol/diesel, although prices are relatively similar.


Agree - But you can pay with any credit card, without the need to register an account in a random app.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mooney058 wrote:
I was pondering about this a lot. Besides some worries about the quality I could not simply hand my data. I tested Y and Enyaq the same weekend. I thought I would dislike skoda, but it was a better drive/suspension, it felt like q normal car and I did not like tesla’s ergonomics. Skoda was less efficient but after the recent face-lift enyaq is up there. Though Y is supposed to be renewed later this year. But for today’s decision I would be taking Enyaq over Y.
I don't have any concerns about handing over data, but I'm not overly (IMO) concerned about that generally. Tesla do have their own ergonomic 'feel', personally I like it and I'm happy that the Model Y doesn't feel like a normal car. But obviously that's individual choice and of course I understand that other people will want something different, perhaps something that does feel like a normal car.

I agree with your point that home charging is how most people (currently) will do most of their charging. But for most people the occasional long drive is a part of their regular driving pattern, so using battery capacity efficiently and having access to a reliable charging network continues to be a key feature of EV ownership. Noting the recent contributions by Frosty and ArcticRoll about public charging difficult, for me the Tesla Supercharger advantage is still very, very desirable, although (happily) it's getting smaller and smaller.


Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 3-01-24 21:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mooney058 wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
@mooney058, I find it best to ignore Elon Musk. None of his promises played a role in my purchase decision, I tested a number of vehicles and bought what I thought was the best I could afford. I think when it comes to Elon your No.1 rule should be buy the product, not the promise.


I was pondering about this a lot. Besides some worries about the quality I could not simply hand my data. I tested Y and Enyaq the same weekend. I thought I would dislike skoda, but it was a better drive/suspension, it felt like q normal car and I did not like tesla’s ergonomics. Skoda was less efficient but after the recent face-lift enyaq is up there. Though Y is supposed to be renewed later this year. But for today’s decision I would be taking Enyaq over Y.


Have unfortunately owned a Cupra a year ago, and I am NEVER getting a VW again - The software is terrible ! Never have I had a car that bad, and all was down to the software.


Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 3-01-24 21:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DanishRider wrote:
Have unfortunate owned a Cupra a year ago, and I am NEVER getting a VW again - The software is terrible !
All of the current VW EVs seem to have a terrible reputation for their software. Every review that I saw seemed to say the same thing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DanishRider, we rarely use public chargers, but generally they seem happy with a card, no app needed, although the octopus electroverse app gives a discount I think
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I absolutely agree ! So many apps is needed - It’s ridiculous.

We've done 3 return trips to the alps and done all charging via the ChargeMap RFID card, or Tesla app, with one exception, which was an overnight hotel stop in Calais where the charger was not covered by the ChargeMap RFID card, and we needed to install a specific app.

ChargeMap doesn't cover as many UK charging networks, so I've installed a couple more apps for use in the UK, but almost all rapid chargers now take contactless card payment
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DanishRider, you have experience and hopefully did the research. In the end it is only a car that will age, depreciate and breakdown from time to time. We all make the call of whichever is best suited to out own situations.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MorningGory wrote:
... although the octopus electroverse app gives a discount I think
Double check that. I have an Electroverse account and it said that it offered an 8% discount on the price of the Shell Recharge charger I used recently in Les Arcs. Except that wasn't the case. I used that charger twice, once with my Electroverse card, once with my Shell card and the Shell price was cheaper. It was only a small amount of money so I wasn't concerned one way or another, but I did email them to clarify the situation. Their response was
Electroverse wrote:
The tariff options we show always reflect the price we get from Charging Operators. We don’t add anything on top of what they send. Recent tariff pricing from some operators has become really broad - with different locations showing varying rates or connection fees - and it’s posing a big challenge to reflect the exact cost for specific charging locations.

That being said, we’ll always put forward the fairest price for the costs the networks send us; whilst working to reflect the exact costs per location we receive. So, the rates you see in the Electroverse app are the rates you will be charged.
So check the actual price listed in the Electroverse app against the network's own price, rather than simply accepting the level of discount which Electroverse suggests they offer.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Will do.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
DanishRider wrote:
Have unfortunate owned a Cupra a year ago, and I am NEVER getting a VW again - The software is terrible !
All of the current VW EVs seem to have a terrible reputation for their software. Every review that I saw seemed to say the same thing.


I am personally done with VW - They actually took the first Cupra back, gave me a new that turned out to be even worse.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mooney058 wrote:
@DanishRider, you have experience and hopefully did the research. In the end it is only a car that will age, depreciate and breakdown from time to time. We all make the call of whichever is best suited to out own situations.


What can I say - Apart from range, the model Y is the most capable “snow” car I ever owned. Have driven from Denmark to France, and later Denmark to Italy, only using the Tesla network - if anybody else can integrate other networks just as good, I will be ready to look at other brands.

Made a couple of observations - Have both the Q8 and the Shell recharge app, and there can literally be 0,35 cents difference per KW on the same charger, depending on what app you use. Also the prices in Austria and Germany when paying with a credit card, is beyond ridiculous. Some places charge 1,39 euro per KW.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
DanishRider wrote:
Have unfortunate owned a Cupra a year ago, and I am NEVER getting a VW again - The software is terrible !
All of the current VW EVs seem to have a terrible reputation for their software. Every review that I saw seemed to say the same thing.


Agree and the coriad story is outrageous. In equal measure- each time I see a tesla trying to keep my distance, change lane - would not like to be on the receiving end of tesla’s phantom braking. This alone outweighs any frequent OTA updates.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mooney058 wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
DanishRider wrote:
Have unfortunate owned a Cupra a year ago, and I am NEVER getting a VW again - The software is terrible !
All of the current VW EVs seem to have a terrible reputation for their software. Every review that I saw seemed to say the same thing.


Agree and the coriad story is outrageous. In equal measure- each time I see a tesla trying to keep my distance, change lane - would not like to be on the receiving end of tesla’s phantom braking. This alone outweighs any frequent OTA updates.


Haven’t experienced phantom braking for a very long time!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mooney058 wrote:
... would not like to be on the receiving end of tesla’s phantom braking.
Can't speak for other Tesla drivers but that's a non-issue in my experience. Owned one since March, done 15,000 miles only had one occasion when the car braked sharply by itself, and on that occasion I was about to take evasive action (which would have been similar, but a bit smoother) but the car beat me to it by a fraction of a second. There has been other times when the car has been a bit over-sensitive to other cars on the road when in autopilot, including a period this autumn when a software update changed the behaviour and for around a month the car was too sensitive. But that's been dialled back and I think it's mostly pretty good now. When it autopilot it normally places itself in the centre of its lane, but nudges over slightly if the car/lorry it is passing drifts within its own lane, and slows if it might drift outside of its lane. I think it's a good feature although it was overly sensitive when introduced, but I assume Tesla aggregated a huge amount of data on this when it went live and has now tuned the behaviour to be a bit smoother. At no point has any car behind me needed to brake suddenly when my car has modified its speed. I've read some people report issues with phantom braking, but it's not been my experience.

Perhaps book an extended test drive and see how you get on with it?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jedster wrote:
alvinsu wrote:
Just finished my first ev trip from SW London to Tignes and back in a model Y. The super charger network, hotel destination charger (in tignes), and the autopilot on the smooth french motorway has made this trip much more relaxing than my previous one in a Lexus SUV.

The autopilot especially worked fantastically well in french autoroutes.

Overall electricity cost is about 40% of equivalent petrol.


I'm contemplating a model Y...
How long did it take you door to door?
We just drove back form Les Contamines. Left at 4:30am, back in Marlow, Bucks 3pm (having benefitted by the hour difference). So 11:30 including refuelling vehicle and two drivers Smile
To be honest cruise control, lane assist, front assist, 4WD, winter tyres and a huge range on the 2l diesel makes our humble 2015 skoda a pretty relaxing and reassuring way of doing the journey. I find it hard to believe an EV would be better. But of course we don't own a car just for driving to the Alps!


We always stop at a hotel so no much difference compared my previous trips in an ICE car. Mind you, I always have a break every 90 mins or so and almost never drive continuously for more than two hours in any cars, so that pattern fits very well with EV charging. Almost all my stops had either Supercharger or other fast chargers (the Tesla network is far superior, easy to use, reliable and is a lot cheaper).

The autopilot worked very well. My previous car was Lexus with adaptive cruise control. IMO the Tesla's autopilot is miles better, much smoother and better lane keeping. I guess this is not EV specific and assume other latest generation cars from BMW, Volvos etc will be similar. One thing to note though, for most other brands, to get the similar level of adaptive cruise control / lane keeping you will have to pay extra.
latest report



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy