Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Electric Vehicle route to the alps

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for some great posts all
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are impressed by the lack of charge rate drop off at higher SoC with an Audi Vs a Jag I invite you to have a go with a Hyundai Ioniq 5 6 or KiaEV6.

They have been much more aggressive in this respect compared to Tesla VW and others, pulling high currents well past 80%. Time will tell if that impacts on degradation.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As mentioned ZapMap is the pick for finding chargers. Gridserve are significantly ramping up their motorway service station presence for longer trips in the UK.

Slightly off the original topic, but if thinking of a trip to Scotland from south of the border in an EV get a ChargePlace Scotland RFID card in advance. Opens up a huge number of chargers without various potential dramas, particularly as the RFID card will start a charge even if the internet connection is down.

If heading north to Glencoe there’s a bank of 8 newish Osprey chargers about 2 mins off the A82 at the northern end of the dual carriageway from Dumbarton at a pub, with a McDonald’s that’s open 24/7 a few minutes walk away. Contactless and 200kw CCS / 50kw Chademo.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just buy a proper car instead of a glorified milk float. No concerns then!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Old Man Of Lech wrote:

The truth is that, if you can charge at home, an EV is a much easier thing to live with than an old fashioned petrol or diesel car. Fully charged every morning (a full charge is only ~£5 for 300 miles), warm and defrosted when you get in and much more fun to drive. It takes a bit longer on long journeys (Scotland, Cornwall, Alps etc) but I just combine charging with coffee/loo breaks and it makes very little difference overall. It seems absurd to me now that I ever had to go to a petrol station and fill up for £70 every week. And all those posts on Nextdoor saying the local Tesco is out of diesel again - hilarious!

Keep it quiet though, or everyone is going to want one Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
5p a kilowatt seems very cheap.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@blahblahblah, I pay 7.5p on Intelligent Octopus, plenty of good EV rates around nowadays. I guess the "Old Man" is showing his true colours, presume his horse and cart are still working fine as opposed to the infernal combustion engine.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Old Man Of Lech wrote:

In that context... "Ernie" (as sung by Benny Hill) probably drove a eTron RS GT.... my lowly "standard" GT only pushes 530bhp
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@kitenski, thanks for that, I looked at getting a home charger but could not get 7.5p ( which sounds more believable than 5p) also the £1000 for the home charger needed to be factored in at some point.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I find it amusing that it is somehow a life shattering inconvenience that an EV with no charge doesn’t get you very far. How far does a petrol car go with no fuel? Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jamescollings, sorry but I think Ernie had a horse and cart not one of those new fangled battery devices. That of course was one horse power.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 22-12-23 16:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clived wrote:
Keep it quiet though, or everyone is going to want one Smile

Yeah just like the plummeting EV car prices are demonstrating Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The fossil fuel lobby loves to select certain EV models that are unpopular and generate their usual hyperbolic propaganda about ‘collapse’ and ‘plummeting’ and ‘falling off a cliff’ etc. Don’t fall for it. Although yes, depreciation is catastrophic on the all those £185K Porsche Taycan S Sport Turismo EVs that everyone is buying.

Just like an EV gets mentioned whenever there’s a big car park fire. Even when the cause turns out to be a diesel Range Rover and not one of the EVs parked there catches fire. But heigh-ho, that didn’t stop a BBC local journo ‘at the scene’ saying on air that the cause of the Luton Airport fire was “possibly an electric vehicle”.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Has the investigation confirmed it was a non hybrid LandRover?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@blahblahblah, Hybrids are the most likely to catch fire, ICE next, EV a long way down in fires per 100,000 cars.

I'm pretty sure it was a pure ICE.
snow report
I know EV pure are the lowest, just pointing out in the absence of facts we don't know. Reporter says one thing fire brigade says another, would be nice if someone who knows about these things set it straight. I don't care what it was but be good to know what it was without politics/fandom.
snow conditions
blahblahblah wrote:
I know EV pure are the lowest, just pointing out in the absence of facts we don't know. Reporter says one thing fire brigade says another, would be nice if someone who knows about these things set it straight. I don't care what it was but be good to know what it was without politics/fandom.

Fire service said it was a diesel - so not a hybrid or EV.
snow conditions
Someone from the fire service did. That is true.
ski holidays
MorningGory wrote:
@blahblahblah, Hybrids are the most likely to catch fire, ICE next, EV a long way down in fires per 100,000 cars.

I'm pretty sure it was a pure ICE.

Those stats have been debunked on here before.

Can't compare a puddle of premium new EVs with an ocean of cheap old ICE.

It's comparing apples with oranges.
latest report
@Whitegold, can't argue with facts based on a per number of vehicles.
latest report
Hybrid comes out worse no matter how you cut it.
snow conditions
Those "facts" compare a £50k, 4yo EV puddle with a £17k, 9yo ICE ocean.

One is a new, expensive, small.

The other is old, cheap, big.

The samples could not be more different if you tried.

The comparison is totally invalidated.
snow report
Blah, blah, blah - all the usual fossil fuel propaganda against real facts.

First the Luton Airport fire “could be” caused by a EV. Then it’s probably caused by a PHEV. Then it’s caused by an old ICEV - but no big deal, it’s not representative of the appalling fictional future danger from EVs. So A great consolation to those who lost their cars in the conflagration, then.

ICEVs are 20-60 times more likely to spontaneously combust versus EVs, pro rata. Depending on what statistics you use to make the comparison and which vehicle segment you look at.

Remember all the furore over EVs killing swathes of people because no one could hear them coming? Problem was, it wasn’t happening. So now the fossil fuel lobby has given up on that one and switched to fires. But this is going the same way. The same fortnight of the Luton Airport fire there were four major petrol car fires at service stations and a petrol tanker exploded in Essex and there was a fire at a small oil refinery as well.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 22-12-23 19:31; edited 5 times in total
snow report
A little bit more feedback from my first EV drive to the Tarentaise. The EV chargers in the car park at the Bourg Saint Maurice SuperU have been changed since last winter. The previous chargers seemed unreliable from what I could see, so hopefully the reliability has been improved with the new installation. There are 4 x 22kW charging points run by the Sowatt charging network, which I've not heard of. Apparently it's included in the ChargeMap network. On my two visits to the SuperU over the last week one car was charging the other three points were vacant.

One of the things I was potentially concerned with was driving the Tesla on snow. I've got winter tyres fitted but I wasn't sure whether the regen braking, which is fairly aggressive in the Tesla and can't easily be changed, would cause a problem by kicking in too firmly as I ease off the accelerator. Happily I've not found it to be a problem. I've driven a little bit on roads completed snow-covered, with no problem with regen being too fierce. The other concern was being a little bit trigger happy in an EV with an enormous amount of torque available with a twitch of your big toe. As an experiment this morning I accelerated way faster than was necessary on a section of snow-covered road to see whether excessive wheel spin would be induced, and whether it prompted a bit of sideways movement on the slight camber the road had. Result was no wheelspin at all, and another test of whether the region braking was too fierce. So top marks from me to the car and the tyres. It's not been a particularly stiff test as the roads are generally clear, but I've had a bit of snow to drive on.

For those who like pictures of Superchargers, this is what I've used so far on this trip. Photos taken on Wednesday 13th or Friday 22nd. I was wondering whether I might come across queues at the charging stations...

ski holidays
Re the Tesla regen, can you effectively control it via the accelerator? We've a Kona that has 4 levels of regen ( including off), and the level essentially controls the position on the accelerator where it's neutral and you get progressively more regen the more you lift off
snow conditions
viv wrote:
Re the Tesla regen, can you effectively control it via the accelerator? We've a Kona that has 4 levels of regen ( including off), and the level essentially controls the position on the accelerator where it's neutral and you get progressively more regen the more you lift off
Yes, it is progressive, but on a single range of regen. Using 'one pedal driving' is the biggest change I had got get used to. With all my previous cars lifting off the accelerator was essentially a single step, you just picked your foot off the pedal in one quick action. But in a car with a high level of regen that means the car starts to slow down very quickly. For the first couple of weeks of driving the EV I was definitely not a smooth driver, to the consternation of my girlfriend who gets a bit of motion sickness. It took two or three weeks to be more progressive when lifting off, but that's now become quite instinctive and Jane no longer complains about feeling carsick.
snow report
Just to add a little bit of info. Have done 4 trips in a Tesla to 3 valleys and Paradiski, heading off again in a few weeks.
We like our final super charger (and possibly the closest to final destination) to be at the Hotel Radiana, Parc Thermal, La Lechere.
You can use the hotel facilities which makes for a very nice relaxing stop.
On our trip in March we left the hotel with 99% charge and arrived in Meribel with 87%.
And for a cheap overnight stop with superchargers we have used the Hotel Kyriad at Dijon
Happy travels EVers Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@rob@rar, how much does the battery go up going down the mountain?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dippy, good to know you can use the hotel’s facilities at Lechere. I had a look at that Supercharger on Google Streetview and it looked a bit bleak given that I’d probably get there around 9pm.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@rob@rar, how much does the battery go up going down the mountain?
It adds 2 or 3% from Arc 1800 to the SuperU at Bourg.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
@Dippy, good to know you can use the hotel’s facilities at Lechere. I had a look at that Supercharger on Google Streetview and it looked a bit bleak given that I’d probably get there around 9pm.

Ive both stayed at that hotel and stopped - its a lovely hotel, just a very short walk from superchargers - we just popped into the bar last time and had a coffee in comfort while we charged. Will definitely be using them again in a few weeks
latest report
@Dippy, thanks, that’s great to know.
ski holidays
A way off still but just looking at the new yr transfer weekend forecast…….so whats the ev range at 20mph with snow chains on
snow conditions
MHskier wrote:
A way off still but just looking at the new yr transfer weekend forecast…….so whats the ev range at 20mph with snow chains on
Infinite…

Laughing
latest report
We drove down to the Alps yesterday in a diesel van. The queues for fuel were massive but filling tank didn't take long once we got to the pump and meanwhile everyone in the van had been for a pee. Huge queues for Ladies too. I did notice that the banks of charging stations were much less in demand but that could become a problem on busy days once numbers of electric vehicles increase.
ski holidays
How many fuel stops did you need?
I stopped for fuel once. Biggest queue was for ladies as you say.
ski holidays
We only stopped for fuel once. I've done that drive loads of times but never on a peak day before. The fuel queues were an eye opener for me. Queueing for chargers could become a thing, presumably.
snow report
viv wrote:

Tesla Bjørn (YouTube Tesla channel) did technical walkthrough of this functionality, and apparently Tesla have some software in place, that senses the current traction, and automatically adjust the regen to fit the level of traction. I have tested my Tesla in pretty severe condition, and it works great - But you can only manual adjust it servicemode:-)
snow conditions
@pam w, you do get occasional queues over here on peak days, but if you look at the pics rob posted the European tesla charger stations are massive with loads of stalls. And the Teslas built in navigation will tell you if a station is full or not.

I understand a place near me on the a1 has planning for a 200 charger site!! That’s the kind of forward planning that’s great to hear!
snow conditions
Tesla seem to have vision. That's true. Saw lots yesterday all.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy