Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lateral knee pain after first hours - snow plough - itbs/meniscus?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

I have started to learn skiing recently, after first 2 of hours of training with an instructor on an interactive indoor ski machine I have done LOTS of snowploughing an turning in snow plough position.

Nothing really hurt during the rides and I didn't fall at all but the day after the second hour of training lateral parts of both my knees hurt BADLY.

Three days later now, still hurts, I have already made an appointment with my physiotherapist to solve this problem, but I would like to know your opinions and histories. Does snow plough hurt beginners in a lot of cases? Could it have a bad long-term outcome? Has any of you got hurt like that at the beginning? Do you think it could be an itbs / meniscus issue?

I think I should add that I'm 25 yo, pretty healthy and working out lower body parts regularly. Smile

Thank you!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think it’s important to ask some intrusive questions - what other sports do you do and what’s your weight and height? And do any blood relatives have chronic problems with their knees?

On your important questions, I will respond from my own experience of teaching and skiing:

Does it hurt beginners - it certainly can do.
It’s an important technique but two hours of intensive snowploughing is going to put a hell of a lot of unusual strain on your knees. And if it is on a simulator there will I assume have been very repetitive kinetics and forces on the knee, very different from being on the hill. And very different from normal life and sports such as cycling and running. Not great. I snow plough for maybe 2 mins a season. Two seconds here, three seconds there. That’s it. It hurts my knees. I avoid it.

Could it have long term outcomes - yes.
But most probably it is short term inflammation - (take anti-inflammatories and in the first 48 hours) UPDATE NOTE NOW NOT RECOMMENDED: see https://www.nursingtimes.net/clinical-archive/pain-management/evidence-on-nsaid-use-in-soft-tissue-injuries-01-11-2012/ RICE can help Rest Ice Compression Elevation UPDATE NOTE goodness while RICE still recommended by many people, now replaced by MOVE (see https://thischangedmypractice.com/move-an-injury-not-rice/) and other regimes (see post below on PEACE and LOVE) and https://sportandspinalphysio.com.au/peace-love-say-goodbye-to-rice-for-your-soft-tissue-injury/

You have done the right thing - see a sports physio as quickly as you can.

I have recovered pretty well from major accident trauma on one knee - and climbed and skied on it for 35 years - but it’s far better to avoid any strains or pain-inducing events.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 26-01-22 14:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to the Forum.

Firstly, you are doing the right thing by seeing a Physio....and (though difficult) it's best not to jump ahead, with a self-diagnosis.

Have you ever had knee pain doing anything else? Have you damaged your knees in the past?

At this stage - rest, ice and anti-inflammatories seem like a good course of action.

On a fitness front - Lunges (front/side/back/jumping) and squats, along with sitting against a wall and training Abductors/Adductors - might be the way to go....once the pain has gone.

The other thing I would advocate, is get a Foam Roller. Work on Quads, Hamstrings, IT Band and Calves....and combine with lots of stretching, especially of Lower Body.

The Snowplough is probably the toughest Ski Manoeuvre on the body. If you did it for 2 hours, on something that has more friction than snow and used technique that was a bit dodgy - I can see this having the potential of hurting the knees. I think the likelihood, is you have simply overdone it and your body is letting you know. As you didn't have a rest going up in a lift, the knees didn't get a brake.

Personally, I would let your knees heal, work on the muscles around the knee (Strength/Foam Roller) and don't take any more lessons unless on snow.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for replies!

I do cycling and I work out at the gym, lots of squats, lunges, etc. 180cm 80kgs. No problems with knees familywise.

Already dealing with patellofemoral pain since a long time in one of the knees with my physio.

Foam rolling and stretching almost every day. Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
check out knees over toes guy - instagram and/or YouTube.

He will most likely recommend you pull a sled, backwards, 100m at a time. The guy is a legend
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bb_bernard wrote:
Thanks for replies!

I do cycling and I work out at the gym, lots of squats, lunges, etc. 180cm 80kgs. No problems with knees familywise.

Already dealing with patellofemoral pain since a long time in one of the knees with my physio.

Foam rolling and stretching almost every day. Smile

Your Physio will be familiar with your knees, as they have been treating them.

There is a good chance you just overdid it - putting a strain on your knees in a way that is difficult to specifically train for.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

take anti-inflammatories and in the first 48 hours RICE can help Rest Ice Compression Elevation.

Actually the advice now is to not try to reduce inflammation through anti-inflammatories as it's part of the healing process.

RICE has been replaced with PEACE and LOVE https://blogs.bmj.com/bjsm/2019/04/26/soft-tissue-injuries-simply-need-peace-love/

I'd agree with others it's probably just some inflammation, physio will be able to diagnose better than any of us trying online.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@boarder2020, interesting…blimey…I took a look at the publication month immediately - APRIL - and did wonder…

A friend has just had a replacement knee - athlete - and he had a LOT of ice treatment, prescribed by the consultant surgeon - I know that’s not all soft tissue, but interesting. Apologies if I am out of date on RICE…good to see this article. Am busily referencing one of my own papers (non related issues) and will take a good look at the referenced papers…

I have added some update notes to my earlier post - many thanks
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
valais2 wrote:
@boarder2020, interesting…blimey…I took a look at the publication month immediately - APRIL - and did wonder…

A friend has just had a replacement knee - athlete - and he had a LOT of ice treatment, prescribed by the consultant surgeon - I know that’s not all soft tissue, but interesting. Apologies if I am out of date on RICE…good to see this article. Am busily referencing one of my own papers (non related issues) and will take a good look at the referenced papers…

I have added some update notes to my earlier post - many thanks

The Dr who coined RICE has been fairly open to say it's outdated. There are quite a few new acronyms suggested. The main changes being:

- Don't rest, do what you can that doesn't cause pain.

- Don't try to stop inflammation as it's the bodies way of healing, and reducing it can actually lead to a longer recovery time. There's been quite a bit of research on this, and in places it's a little confounding - however bone injuries seem one of the ones more clearly affected by nsaids https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30260913/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@bb_bernard,
Probably patella pain. See a physio.
Internal rotation and an letting knee fall into knock knee position upsets patella tracking
Jonathan Bell
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy