Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Alpine Club insurance alternative?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just checking through our travel folder in readiness for April trip to Val d’isere delayed from April 2020…
Making sure EHICs still valid and passports OK etc . Even found a few Euros I had forgotten we had…

Realised I let our Austrian Alpine membership lapse - I bought on advice of a Snowhead I met a few years back on the BB who had one.
In the event of needing medical evacuation off the mountain etc - waving one of these prevents you (supposedly) having to produce a credit card…
So handy for my wife and kids as often in separate lessons in the mornings at least.

Should I renew or is it unnecessary?
Current cost would be £ 57 for me £ 44 for my wife and son and £ 24 for my daughter.
Obviously this covers us for any and all trips for next 12 months. Hopefully more than one week !!

We do have ski club GB insurance which should repay any costs incurred but may cause more friction in an emergency…

Or is there an equivalent French or Italian card which might be better / cheaper ?

Or can I purchase a similar insurance card in Val for the week ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It depends what you want from the insurance. The AAC cover is designed to be supplementary to your normal insurance and provides cover for rescue for whatever you are doing in the mountains pretty much everywhere (off piste, climbing etc) - it does not cover expeditions to the greater ranges etc but I doubt this is what you are considering! It also provides a certain amount of medical cover which should cover treatment after an accident in a resort clinic which is likely to be private and so not covered by your EHIC etc. If all you plan on doing is staying on piste and not taking any other trips to the mountains (or other activity type holidays) then the local add on to your pass could be cheaper.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is likely a lot of overlap with SCGB insurance

Unless you are doing mountaineering (so using ropes + abseiling or climbing) or using AAC huts (so want the discount) it probably isn't worth it.

If anything the friction is likely to be worse having both as they will argue about which insurer is liable for what...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The worry is not about the eventual cost as yes , GB Ski policy will cover everything.

It’s the concern that if one of my family is hurt - I have heard stories about the piste patrol wanting guarantee of payment there and then before bloodwaggoning them down or calling in the helicopter …

Ski club insurance reimburses costs but my daughter won’t have a credit card on her!

I just checked Val ski pass site and the carre neige is €18 per person so will probably do that and then maybe re assess the AAC cover for next season depending how many holidays we have booked…

I presume the carre neige guarantees no up front payments needed ? Anyone ever had to use that in an emergency ? ( or the AAC for that matter)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sheffskibod, I’d definitely go with Carre Neige. In spite of some insurance overlap, IMV, it’s well worth having for full peace of mind…and not overly expensive.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

t’s the concern that if one of my family is hurt - I have heard stories about the piste patrol wanting guarantee of payment there and then before bloodwaggoning them down or calling in the helicopter

In what country have you heard that? In France it would be against the law for them not to help.

ps Both me and my wife have been blood waggoned off in France. No one wanted prior payment. My nephew was bloodwaggoned off in Austria. No pre payment was requested. In fact in all cases we went to the piste office the next day and settled the bill. The biggest shock to me was though the rescue and medical bills were in euros. The insurance company reimbursed me in sterling using their own very disadvantageous exchange rate.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@johnE, you beat me to it. These stories seem to keep appearing here, but to me they have the quality of urban myths. Of course, if anyone has first hand knowledge of piste patrol delaying rescue in this way until being guaranteed payment I'll stand corrected.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy