Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shoulders!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In Season 2019 the Grom and I had a day with an instructor friend and he spent most of the time getting us to have our shoulders in the right orientation - essentially at the same angle as the slope (although plenty of minor refinements to exactly which direction you face after the right shoulder angle has been achieved). It was a great day and has transformed my skiing (and ... grrr ... the Grom was doing it anyway...).

Think this way: the slope in an on is 30deg, the line of my shoulders should match that. This slope is 40 deg, I need to match that. After a while it becomes really natural, since you simply match the plane of your shoulders with the plane of the slope. This has a profound impact on edging. Do it, and your edges find a magical level of grip. Fail to match the angle...level your shoulders...feel your grip vanish. There are many things which we need to refine in skiing, but this is one thing which makes quite a few important things just fall in line and into place.

Cody Townsend demonstrates this brilliantly in his new video:

http://youtube.com/v/fGEWnJU9aCw&vl=en
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@valais2, is there a specific part...the vid is over 7 minutes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep - 4.12
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
All worth watching though - he’s very good
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@valais2, ta
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Good advice, I particularly liked the bit how he describes trying to keep his tips on the snow while turning down the steep pitch. I try to do that initiation of get weight well over the front, but his demo makes good viewing.

Don't the shoulders make such a difference though, it was really emphasised to me when learning to board just how much very small angles can influence the shape of your skeleton and how it subtly moves your feet without trying.

MTB too, I use a method to teach others riding berms, to look at where you want the tire to exit the berm as it moves the shoulders and pulls a perfect line through it. The sooner you lock onto the exit with your eyes the more consistent you'll run the course you want.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski3 - ...absolutely...harnessing the magnetic tree effect but to do good rather than bad things...look where you want to go rather than at the things you want to avoid ...

Back to skiing, I find that it I do incline my shoulders in the way that Alex and Cody demonstrate, then I tend to stop fretting, and get the right ‘sight lines’ - ie gets me looking in the right direction and at the right things, in the manner you describe...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good advice. Even if my usage will be limited to black pistes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great video. You don’t need to skiing 50 degree chutes to benefit from the advice.

Thanks for sharing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
UHutte - absolutely
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy