Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help - Meribel centre versus Val Thorens at Easter

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, could anyone help me decide between Meribel centre (considering new P&V apartments), or Val Thorens for first week of the Easter holidays? Would much prefer a snowy village, which I am guessing won't be the case first week in April in Meribel, but we do like the idea of a pool for after the slopes which P&V has. Concerns are whether Meribel being lower would have an 'end of season' feel (less busy, restaurants closing etc). Also, how easy would it be to access the higher areas (intermediate skiers). I've found alternative accommodation in Val Thorens which is slightly more expensive, and I am wondering whether it is worth the extra for ski in/out? Any opinions would be very welcome!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
do you know how the pool will operate? any covid restrictions?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@itsbeenawhile, VT would be less risky in terms of snow cover at that time.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We've done Meribel in February followed by VT at Easter for a few years (pre Covid) - have a look at the historic images on the webcams of Meribel Chaudanne - https://ski-resort.meribel.net/webcams/
IMHO VT is better for snow.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good question. I am not sure about that so I will enquire! I have looked at a few reviews (not extensively though), and I didn't pick up on any restrictions. Best to find out for sure though, especially as the pool is a key factor to our decision. I keep thinking everything will be the same as 2018 Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you for your replies. I am wondering whether we could still get 'almost' the same ski holiday by going out for long days (high), and accepting that when we get back to the apartments there will be little/no snow (so lacking a bit of atmosphere)?? We've never done that before (always gone high at Easter), hence my indecision!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Personally I'd go for VT (where I'm sure you could find a pool). Skiing back to Meribel can be a pain at the best of times and could well be a slush/mud fest.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My experience of Meribel late in the seaon is of a lot of mud and no snow. Personnaly I would not go there in mid April. You can access the best of the Meribel skiing (mont Vallon) from Val Thorens without dropping below Mottaret, though even that area will be slushy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you, it is looking like Val Thorens is the better option, so worth the premium. I've just checked out the Meribel webcam and although it looks okay at the beginning of April, it rapidly deteriorates.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Actually, as this has been massively helpful, and saved me ages puzzling over it, what about Courcheval 1850 instead? There are some older P&V apartments there that would be cheaper. No pool though, but we could go to Aquamotion a couple of days after skiing. Concerns are it will be lower, and possibly more expensive to eat out? Any thoughts on this option, or is Val Thorens still the better choice?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That late: VT or Tignes - don't think I'd bother with anywhere else unless I was booking days before
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We stayed at the Hameau du Kashmir in VT a couple of years ago at Easter - ski/out with a pool and sauna, and reasonably specced apartments. We were very pleased overall, and would definitely recommend.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@itsbeenawhile, loads of skiing from Courchevel 1850, a lot of it is north facing and holds the snow well in April, we've often stayed at La Tania which is 1400m at Easter and been able to ski back every time we've been. Has the advantage of trees as well if it snows.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pejoli, thank you, I am looking at this now. Looks good.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kitenski, it is good to know that Courcheval/La Tania could also be options at this time of the year. Did you find it expensive/more expensive to eat out there? I've heard some reports that drinks are very expensive! Also did it still have atmosphere at Easter? Not too many restaurants/bars closing etc.
latest report
@itsbeenawhile, 1850 can be expensive, but we always stayed in a catered chalet in La Tania so weren't eating out. There are cheaper places to eat lunch inc sandwiches etc around Courchevel 1850. I seem to remember everything being open inc the shops etc when we were walking around.
snow report
Re snow cover at Easter…

I was waiting for my partner just above the central lifts in the bottom bowl at Meribel Centre, whilst watching a woman negotiating the narrow path of snow back to the bottom. ‘That’s unusual’, I thought, ‘a pair of white ski trousers with a large leather patch on the rear…’ . I mentioned it to my partner, who said…’that’s mud…’. And it was.
latest report
Certainly will not have an 'end of season' feel the first week of April in Meribel. Lifts are open until the 24th of April and it is only the last week from the 17th when some of the restaurants shut but still plenty of choice.
ski holidays
I've always skied over from VT to Courchevel on the EoSB in April when the links have been open and it's actually been possible to do so. A lot of restaurants have been shut, especially towards the direction of 1650 (e.g. Bel Air) and I've never managed more than one meal at the nice place above La Tania (with the straw hats) before it has shut. But, if I'm honest, I can't remember precisely which weeks in April I've had that experience, I'd have to check the precise dates of the numerous EoSBs I've attended.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 20-01-22 17:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@snowrider, thanks, we would aim to go 2-9 April, so sounds like I don't need to worry about everything closing down. The mud is more of a concern with Meribel sadly, plus the time to get to get back to the resort at the end of the day, so I am definitely thinking Val Thorens now.
snow report
@Hurtle, hadn't considered links might close. We were hoping to explore all areas. Hopefully first week in April will be okay.
snow conditions
@Hurtle, eosb is end of season, not Easter isnt it? hence much more end of season feell & places will start to shut
ski holidays
itsbeenawhile wrote:
@Hurtle, hadn't considered links might close. We were hoping to explore all areas. Hopefully first week in April will be okay.
yes, I like to explore as much of the 3V as I can too. You might be absolutely fine somewhere else, but at least in VT you know you will definitely be fine.
snow report
And I can't think of any occasion when I've not been able to ski Mont Vallon, though it's sometimes been 'interesting' at the bottom.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@Hurtle, eosb is end of season, not Easter isnt it? hence much more end of season feell & places will start to shut
It moves around a bit, as does Easter. I think it starts on Easter w/e itself this year. I'll try and check out past dates, so that I don't confuse the OP unduly.
snow report
Quote:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=155089 says it is actualy over Easter in 2022
snow report
First week of April all lifts in the 3V are still scheduled to be open. Yes it can get slushy in the afternoon lower down if it is hot but still plenty of good skiing. By the third week of April slopes can be getting thin some years but also skied 30cm of fresh snow on closing day.
ski holidays
Ok my views

VT is you want better snow but also very bleak if the weather closes in and not as much as a village scene to wander around.

Courchevel 1850 has trees, generally better snow than Meribel a bit lower so slushier on the hot days for the home run.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you for all of these really helpful comments. I think we'll go with Val Thorens, just had hoped to shave a bit off the accommodation cost by being lower, without too much compromise on facilities etc. Travelling looks to be very expensive this year, we've had some bargain flights in previous years in April. Might consider driving Shocked
snow conditions
@kitenski,
Quote:

also very bleak if the weather closes in and not as much as a village scene to wander around

Couldn't agree more, I hate VT. But can't deny it serves a purpose at and towards the end of the season.
latest report
@Hurtle, yup hence why I’ve never stayed there Eh oh!
ski holidays
@Hurtle, @kitenski, I think this will be our last year of Easter skiing as there are so many other places we'd like to explore and it is restrictive limiting the search to the higher resorts. The warmer conditions can be nice though. Cool
latest report
valais2 wrote:
Re snow cover at Easter…

I was waiting for my partner just above the central lifts in the bottom bowl at Meribel Centre, whilst watching a woman negotiating the narrow path of snow back to the bottom. ‘That’s unusual’, I thought, ‘a pair of white ski trousers with a large leather patch on the rear…’ . I mentioned it to my partner, who said…’that’s mud…’. And it was.

Was it definitely mud? Puzzled Toofy Grin
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@Hurtle, yup hence why I’ve never stayed there Eh oh!

Each to their own. We love it in VT - especially skiing from the door and 90% of runs being open in May. Very Happy Very Happy

We have been in VT since the weekend (on a 2 week trip) and are enjoying the most amazing on-piste conditions and weather throughout the 3 Valleys. It is really quiet here and we are managing with hardly any (or mostly no) lift queues and travelling on most chairlifts on our own. We have shared the odd gondola ride but otherwise have had cabins to ourselves.

It is great to be back here and using our season passes again that (a couple of weeks ago) we thought were redundant Very Happy Very Happy .
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, indeed! Although if I was skiing I May I reckon VT would be the place to go (apart from Scotland last may Eh oh! )
latest report
itsbeenawhile wrote:

First week in April? Puzzled

The 3 Valleys links stay open until the 20-oddth of April each year. This year it is the 22nd Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
@Bergmeister, I can remember the links closing early one year because of lack of snow.
ski holidays
Much as I’m less keen on VT if I had to go at Easter it would be there. I’d avoid 1850 as its ££

Currently in La Tania which I love but doubt I’d risk it that late in the season.
snow report
As others have said. VT will have snow and it will be fairly cold, cold enough to freeze at night

Meribel will be wet, slush or mud

Both villages will be open for business in restaurants etc (covid permitting)
ski holidays
@Lucywuk, La Tania home run usually
stays open for Easter week. Height isn’t everything to do with snow retention!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy