Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Unsure if had boot fitted properly - St Anton

Poster: A snowHead
So I’m in St Anton for two weeks. Needed new boots to replace my ancient & packed out (but comfortable) Atomic Hawx 80. Bootfitters recommended was Jennewin (both mentioned on here & by B&B where I am).

Ended up with the Head 130 Lyt. Bootfitter (American guy) didn’t really do anything beyond asking if they were tight (I did say “yeah, but could be a little tighter maybe?”). They did not do a shell fit or any sort of moulding at all.

It fits fine aside from one or two pressure spots in front of ankle (but willing to chalk that up to “new boots”), My problem is that after two days of skiing, it seems way too comfortable rather than still “too tight”. I’ve also very nearly already got them fully buckled on the bottom two buckles, so I’m concerned they’ll be done for in a few weeks of skiing - which would be upsetting as they weren’t all that cheap.

I’m a bit unsure whether to leave it for a few days and see, or go back and make a bit of fuss. Compounding the issue is that I’m profoundly deaf, so there’s a bit of a barrier around communication with everyone wearing masks, and them not really making much of an effort to explain fully if I’m right to be concerned or not… (I did explain my concern around them maybe being too comfortable after first day of skiing & he was saying “it’ll be fine”).

Reading online, it seems a shell fit should’ve been at the very least be done… Although they had my old boots to compare against…

Thoughts please? Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go back to the shop.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
....and get a shell fit done.

Is there another Bootfitter there that can give a second opinion?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks. Will do. It’s not easy with masks but will try. Yes, there are a few bootfitters in store, but wouldn’t know who they are.

My concern is also that as I’ve already paid for these & used them for two days, I imagine they’ll say “we’ll have to work with these”, and I know you can’t make a too big boot smaller…
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mrdini, it might be worth contacting the tourist office to see if they know of a "signer" who could help out?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Out of interest what is the shell fit like ? Pull the liner, foot to front gently touching toes on front - length will show in gap behind heel. 10mm optimal , up to 15mm workable. Beyond that you’re trying to fill a well. I’d also try and get someone to go with you and assist. I’m sure the shop will of all they can to have a good fit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If the shell check shows they are too big, then they are at fault. Hopefully, they will do the right thing by you. Do they have any comfort/fit guarantee? If you hit a brick wall, take your case up with the manager/owner.

If they are still not stepping up, say you will get the boots assessed at a rival Fitter and if the boots are wrong, plaster the result over social media.

Always play nice to start with, being firm but fair.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@orange - thanks! Yeah, just checked - they’re definitely a bit on the large side (at least 2cm - which in all fairness is apparently okay, if on the high end). But yes, I shouldn’t have to check myself - it’s their job to check.

Will swing by tourist info first thing & hopefully they may know someone in town who can help with communication.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What mondo size are they - a couple of makes (Hawkz and I think XPros) jump from 29 to 31 (the 30s are in fact a 31 boot with extra thick liners, which can make them feel a bit too ‘comfortable’ for my liking). It means you have to adjust your tolerances on the shell check by 10 mm for a 30 fit.

Don’t know if Heads are the same (or if you’re at that size)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Get an appointment with Roland at the main Jennewein store at West Terminal. In my experience, they are all good bootfitters, but seem to defer to Roland when the going gets tough.

Go back as many times as needed until the boots are right.

It generally takes me 4 or 5 visits to get the boots right to my satisfaction. I have knobbly ankles and various other foot issues. The location of the store makes tuning easy. I get the tweak done, jump on Rendlbahn, and do a run or 2, and pop back into the store if further changes are needed. Much better than just walking around the store, which does not tell you much about how the boot will ski.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ulmerhutte is right, please go and see Roland at Jennewien. They're a great shop but they can be busy and it sounds like you did not get a great fit first time, it's not unusual, they can and will fix this. You don't need to ask to see the manager or go to tourist info, Roland will sort it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The shell check is just a rough check for the size of the boot and a decent boorfitter will have a good idea of what it's going to be based on the length of your foot and the boot sizing anyway. Just because they didn't do one doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't fitted properly.

It looks to me as if the Head 130 Lyt is a high volume boot whereas the Atomic Hawx 80 looks to have been a mid volume boot. That might be your problem.

But as Spyderjon say right at the start of thread. Go back to the shop and get them to take another look and address your concerns.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Second that. Wife had just had some amendments done to boots bought from jennewine last year.... Top notch service both times.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mrdini, how is it going, did you manage to get back to the shop?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So - tourist info didn’t know anyone local sadly, but they did happen to find an interpreter available for a video call & I explained briefly which helped, I guess.

Went back to Jennewein & different guy remeasured me with a brannock again & reassured me boot was correct. Looked at old boots, & it was 29.0/29.5 - and the lining in my new boot is indeed 29.0.

To be fair, boots DO feel ok with a bit of niggle here & there which I’ll try to sort out over next couple days.

I suspect my issue was more that they didn’t initially take the time to explain/reassure - more “here you go, go ski”.

Thanks all for your thoughts & comments - it’s useful to know what’s right & what’s not (not to fault them at all, but sometimes hearing people tend to have the tendency to take the easy way out & not really explain to deaf people much details due to the aforementioned communication difficulties! “Trust us” kinda!)
latest report
Quote:

sometimes hearing people tend to have the tendency to take the easy way out & not really explain to deaf people much details

Sadly I suspect this is true, it must be a challenge with masks, as you said.

If niggles persist I would still go back, I know it's a shame to waste valuable skiing time but if you can go back mid morning they might be quieter and be able to give you better service. Niggles can be fixed with simple adjustments, e.g. little bits of extra padding / shaving padding off, remoulding the shell etc.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy