Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenevre

Poster: A snowHead
In just under 5 hours I'm heading to Montgenevre.

It's a new resort to me, and a new method of transport (the train). I'll be getting the train from village I live in and will be using public transport for the entire journey apart from the last 10 miles from Oulx, where I'll be getting a cab.

I'm also going to Montgenevre during Feb half term (which is the dreaded Paris week too), but am flying via Turin, so I'll be adding to this thread again in a few weeks time.

Hopefully it will be a good comparison of both getting there and the resort itself at different times/peak loads.

To start, the train has already had a hiccup. I was supposed to be leaving tomorrow and getting the 10am train, but because of covid, it has been cancelled, so we're staying in the Premier Inn at St Pancras tonight, and getting the 8.01am train tomorrow. This is probably a blessing in disguise as it means we have a longer Paris transfer (1hr 25mins) and we should get to resort in time to stock up at the shops with provisions.

I'll update the travel in real time, and then dip in here and there with photos/comments when I'm skiing.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 19-01-22 16:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good Luck !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A quick tip if it's the St Pancras PI (not the Kings Cross or Euston one). If there's more than one of you travelling, don't lug all the luggage up to the first floor for check in. Just one run up and do the necessary, then come back down and both/all go up in the lift from the ground floor. It's just a lot less faff if you've got skis etc.

Have a wonderful trip!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Will be watching this thread with interest. I've liked/fancied the idea of the snow train for a while now but always choose to fly. Hope all goes well!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Are you a single adult travelling or with young kids?

We were due to go this February half term but have postponed 12mo due to having a teenager who is only single jabbed.

Would be interested to know about the inresort testing arrangements
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
2 x adults this trip, family at half term. My son is due his second jab next week (hope he doesn’t catch covid in the meantime). I’ll ask in resort about testing just in case he can’t get his 2nd jab in time.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @albob, and @Roscoe,

@Chuckles3, cheers for the tip. It’s the St Pancras one. I think!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
With only an hour or so left to finish packing, I’ve decided now is the right time to bin myself current shoes and get a new pair out of the cupboard (yes I’m one of those people), re-lace them with the other colour laces in the box, scotch guard them, then cut and fit cushioned insoles.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Step one complete. Negative LFT uploaded to C19testing.

Very straight forward. I’ve timed it so that I will definitely get the email before I need it for the Eurostar, but also do that it is within 24 hours in case anyone checks it whilst I’m in Italy (for 10 mins on the train and 10 more mins in the cab). Probably being over cautious.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Got my certificate back from C19 already. About 1.5 hours after submitting it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And we’re on the first train to London.

I get this train to work, so nothing remarkable. I don’t normally have beers on the way to work though. Laughing

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Blimey, are you a pilot, surgeon, traffic cop or train driver? They're the only jobs I can imagine with no beer before work.

Have a great hols!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
TopGooner wrote:
Blimey, are you a pilot, surgeon, traffic cop or train driver? They're the only jobs I can imagine with no beer before work.

Have a great hols!

I normally catch the 07:30 to work. But early for beers!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And a Pint Can !!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@albob, of course. I’m not a wuss.
ski holidays
Class Very Happy !!

Have a great time in Montgenevre. We went two feb half terms running and had a fab time. I loved durancia (the leisure centre) as well as the skiing. And also the luge is pretty good. The kids went hurtling down but I did most of it with the brakes on!!

It can get very busy if snow poor in surrounding resorts as people get bussed into the resort as conditions are very often better in Montgenevre. Also at weekends, as apparently quite a lot of Italians own apartments there and go over to Montgenevre to ski then.

Sadly we came away from the resort both times with pretty bad drespiratory illnesses (second time in feb 20 so possibly Covid) but of course this could have been picked up during travel there. Just unlucky. Perhaps we should have gone by train!!
ski holidays
@bambionskiis, fairly sure we got covid Feb 2020 in Les Gets.

I’ve done Les Gets once at half term. Never again. I’m hoping it’s better here, and will do a comparison in Feb.

Hope not to catch ANY respiratory infections!
ski holidays
We’ve arrived at the premier inn. The tip from @Chuckles3, is excellent, although my companion who I left waiting in the lobby got into an argument with anti masker whilst waiting for me. Said antimasker was sitting, sans mask, in the middle of a cluster of three seats. Who does that? Sit on the edge like a normal human.

Both of us being 6’ plus and 15 stone each and been around the bloke several times saw it more of an amusing interlude to proceedings. We’re now having a nightcap before hitting the hay.

Said nightcap is a pint of peroni and a double laphroig

The 5.30am alarm is not my most favourite idea, but we’ll survive

latest report
We’re having another nightcap by mistake.

ski holidays
Great thread, keep it coming!
ski holidays
Booking a twin room was a terrible error. My mate snores like a bull elephant. No let up. He’s still doing it now.

I think I’ve had about 3 hours sleep. Ho hum. Time to get to to the station.

On the plus side, I’ll be asleep by 9 tonight, so hopefully will have no ill effects of the time difference.
snow report
Arrived at St Pancras at 6.25 for an 8.01 train. Perfect timing I reckon. We were straight through security and passport control, but a large queue developed behind us.

Distinct lack of food places ‘air’ side. Breakfast is a cold bacon and egg baguette.
ski holidays
On the train awaiting departure.

The check in/security experience feels a lot more civilised and calmer compared to an airport. Far less schlepping about too.
ski holidays
Passing both sets of border control (similar to the channel tunnel) at the same time is also a pleasant thought. No hassle when we get there (apart from negotiating the Parisian metro).
snow report
Have a great trip. Loved Monty. Great skiing, quiet pistes. Lovely area.
snow report
We were one of the first at that time to be tested for Covid around here when we got back. Hubby was ambulances for hospital because he was a bit breathless and then the paramedic said it would take him 1.5 hours to deep clean the ambulance. They marked a “safe route” out for hun in the hospital to keep him away from everyone else and they wore full bunny suits. The following day a team of 3 came to our house in similar attire to give me a COVID test. Can you imagine?!! We were both negative but apparently those first tests were notoriously inaccurate. I still reckon we had it.

I feel like I’m holiday too! Very Happy. Having not managed it since Feb 2020

The transit across Paris put me off I must admit. That said I watched the video of a travel writer doing your journey which was interesting - and it didn’t look too onerous.
ski holidays
The train departed within 10 seconds of the due time, so everything running on track (pun intended).

I’ve already been to the buffet car to get my ticket for the underground (RER) to Gare de Lyon. €2. Bargain. I have a tab open with full instructions on how to navigate to GdL. I’ve got no idea which hall to go to when I get there. Nothing obvious on the ticket. Hope it will all come clear when we arrive.

I’m going to time how long it takes from the train arriving to getting to GdL. I think I’ve given myself the best chance of a decent time with getting the RER tickets in advance and booking the forward most coach I could. The train is 1/4 of a kilometre long, and we’re near the front.

Next update from GdL.
latest report
Eurostar arrived into Gare du Nord at 11:22. We got hall 2, which is the one our train leaves from, in Gare de Lyon by 11:45. Absolute piece of duff. It probably helped that a RER train was in the platform as we walked up to it.

We now have plenty of time to get some food for the next leg.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We’re now successfully on board our final train, with 10 mins to departure. Luggage space is a bit tight, and the kit out of the carriage is old, but comfy.

There were 2 trains on the same platform. Thankfully we didn’t get on the wrong one! Ours was the second train and a fair walk down the platform, so was worth boarding as soon as it showed up on the board (20 mins before departure).

All in all it’s been very relaxing so far. We even had time to leave GdL and got for a coffee in a Parisian cafe. All very civilised.
ski holidays
Timmycb5 wrote:
Eurostar arrived into Gare du Nord at 11:22. We got hall 2, which is the one our train leaves from, in Gare de Lyon by 11:45. Absolute piece of duff. It probably helped that a RER train was in the platform as we walked up to it.

We now have plenty of time to get some food for the next leg.

Glad to hear it was quick. when we have crossed paris at Friday evening rush hour as a family of four with skis, boots, cases etc it has been a different story...the rer is sometimes so full (or used to be pre covid) they have marshalls in green to manage the crowds and you cannot guarantee getting on the first train that comes in. It obviously also takes a lot more time to walk around underground and up steps etc with a large amount of luggage. When our children were younger I might have been carrying two pairs of skis, a bootbag, a case and a daybag! All it takes is one escalator to be en panne or the Eurostar to be 10 mins late. However it sounds as though everything ran like clockwork today.

looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip...
snow conditions
@snowymum, yea, it all seemed to align perfectly for us.
ski holidays
2.5 hours from Paris and we’re basically in the Alps (just south Chambery). Another 1.45 to go though, even though it’s only about 50 miles. We’re going very slow as there are lots of twists and turns.

The scenery is stunning, and I spy snowy peaks. snowHead
ski holidays
Bit of a panic at Bardonecchia. The Polizia boarded the train and asked everyone for documents. Was a bit nervous as we hadn’t done Italian PLFs as we were only going to be on Italian soil for less than an hour. Thankfully they only glanced at my mates passport and didn’t bother even looking at mine.

We arrived at Oulx about 10 mins behind schedule and someone from sauzetaxi.it was waiting for us. A quick 20/25 min transfer (€60) and we were ensconced in Le Hameau des Airelles.

Le Hameau itself is a little warn around the edges, but perfectly serviceable. Haven’t tried the pool yet.

We’ve got our skis from the SkiSet adjacent to the chalet. When I come back in Feb I’ll be going for more expensive ones as the ones we have definitely look tired. I’ll know how they are really when I try them tomorrow.

The slightly worn skis were more than made up for by the joviality and friendliness of Philippe, the owner.

We’ve just stocked up at the Proxi, which again is right next to our apartments. What a lovely shop. The deli counter is a treat to have on hand.

We’re off for a beer and some food now.

Will report back tomorrow (including about the restaurant we’re going to) and the first shots of the pistes.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 20-01-22 23:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Love reading about your travels!

Thanks
snow conditions
Yep, keep it up!
ski holidays
this is super fun - and i am following with interest. Montgenevre is on my radar for next year.
snow conditions
Ate at the restaurant behind the chalets called Le Houx.

Proper French restaurant. We had a tomahawk steak. I don’t think it matters how you ask for it to be cooked, because every one we saw, including ours, came our blue. It was delicious though. We have a beer each, the sharing steak and a very nice bottle of red and it came to €95 between us.

Then came back and slept like a log. The mattress is about as soft as concrete, but I don’t mind that.

We headed up the south saving slopes above the chalet first thing and traversed across to the north facing slopes. All fairly straight forward.

We did a lot of the runs on this side before lunch. The snow conditions were great, if a little crunchy first thing. The snow stayed nice all day on this side.

After lunch we headed back to the south facing slopes by taking the Serre Thibaid lift. If you’re not a fan of heights, then this lift might not be for you.

It was worth it though, for the lovely runs and the beers (and views, below, which are of the north facing side) at Les Terraces.

Given it’s January, I’m a little concerned at the amount of snow. It better dump again soon or the pistuers will have their work cut out for them.

It’s the first day skiing for me for almost 2 years to the day and it has been a fantastic return to it. The weather is due to remain bluebird for the rest of our stay.

snow report
Forgot to mention, nobody is checking the PS on the lifts, and mask wearing ranges between lax and non existent.

The cafes and restaurants do seem to be checking everyone though.
latest report
And I forgot to say again….. when they’re scanning on TAC verif, I’m just showing them my NHS app booster QR code and that works fine.
snow conditions
Have a great time Timmy! I hope you will be “allowed” over to the Italian side of the mountain to go to Claviere? It is a short red run which gives you another link to a chair and then a really pretty path piste all the way down. Some lovely little restaurants just above Claviere which are also much cheaper than the French ones back in Montgenevre!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy