Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Useless Skiing Tips

Poster: A snowHead
If you have discovered something, that is of no use whatsoever, this is the very place to air it.

It can be a piece of kit, or a special technique, or food that can make you miserable. It can even be imaginative ways to best annoy your ski buddies on any given day.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When skiing during cold weather ..carry half a cut onion in your pocket..it stops your eyes watering when skiing without goggles
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yorkshirelad wrote:
When skiing during cold weather ..carry half a cut onion in your pocket..it stops your eyes watering when skiing without goggles

Laughing

Does it have to be a particular pocket? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hold out your ski pole for a friendly boarder who is struggling on a flat section.

Then let go of the pole and leave it in their hands.

Laugh as they slow to a stop.

Cry as they yeet your pole off the mountain.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pack pots of curry powder in your luggage when travelling to ensure one splits in transit and all your grunts and 100 socks (allowing at least 10 pair per day) smell nicely fragranced ( ask me how I know).

On a similar note make sure you buy that really gritty shower gel with pumice or something in it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You are riding a surface lift on a day with some fresh snow. Your buddy is in front of you. You drag one pole so that the basket and tip create a "rooster tail" of snow of the right trajectory to accumulate on your other basket, which you have positioned behind the first, to receive the snow. In time a proper snowball is thus created on the aft basket, which you then catapult at your buddy.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When asked where you’d like to go next, don’t be a picky, demanding person. Answer only with Down or Up as appropriate.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't waste time adjusting your equipment before leaving the boot room, wait until you get off the first lift! The view is much better and nobody will mind Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For a bit of variety try skiing with your left ski boot on your right foot and vice versa Madeye-Smiley

Also try putting your boots into the binding the wrong way round.....

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Save time leaving cafes by not searching for your skis. Just grab any that look vaguely similar Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Leave your coat pocket unzipped so the lift pass can fall out. Since the lift pass is white, you will have hours of fun looking for it in the snow rolling eyes

The husband did this.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Pack pots of curry powder in your luggage when travelling to ensure one splits in transit and all your grunts and 100 socks (allowing at least 10 pair per day) smell nicely fragranced ( ask me how I know)

Tinned fish also works as well Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Get one of those padlocks for skis with a key, then proceed to lose said key and the spare is back at the hotel, had to get a member of resort staff to snap the padlock wire for me. Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When rushing to leave the house for a weeks skiing in Chamonix, whilst your impatient lift to the airport sits in the car outside the house tooting his horn to annoy the neighbours, be sure to grab your carry-on bag from the hall containing all your ski and 'out out' clothing, and not your girlfriend's bag containing year 7's unmarked homework.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Buy cheap, ubiquitous, snow boots from decathlon and do not label them. When you go back to the boot room at the end of a days skiing, you might be lucky to find that some idiot, with feet 1 size smaller than yours, had taken your boots and left theirs for you.

You can then enjoy a nice walk back to the chalet with you feet and toes crushed in amongst someone else’s foot fungus. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
When queuing for chairlifts, make sure to pass briskly through the turnstile, then turn sideways in the area between the turnstile and the loading point and wait 5 minutes for all of your friends to come through. Wouldn't want to have to get on a chairlift with strangers!
ski holidays
If y’all could keep these stories based on your own real experiences, it would exponentially add to the comedy factor.
I’m cracking up at some of the tragic tales Laughing
latest report
If you're having a bad day as a beginner, and keep falling over, make sure you tantrum chuck your poles somewhere difficult to impossible to ski to. You can then have the fun of a) having to clamber round in your ski boots to fetch them and b) trying to get your boots back in your bindings with 3 inches if caked snow on the bottom.

Become incandescently angry again. Repeat.
latest report
When you see tracks disappearing into a forest, it is always safe to assume that the person who made them knew where they were going.
latest report
Klamm Franzer wrote:
Don't waste time adjusting your equipment before leaving the boot room, wait until you get off the first lift! The view is much better and nobody will mind Cool

Mrs narbs? Is that you? Laughing
latest report
If taking a nervous spouse or loved one skiing for the first time, make sure to time it so their first experience of skiing is in a whiteout with 50mph winds.
snow report
When staying in a chalet, ‘borrow’ someone else’s poles because someone has done the same to you & so on. Just make sure you borrow in such a way that the one pair left for the last skier out (who’s 5’10”), are actually suitable for an 8 year old child rolling eyes
ski holidays
Master the button tow on your snowboard but not completely. Be sure to fall off 3/4 of the way up the longest one in resort and have a wee cry as you have to walk up the remaining near vertical kilometre.
snow report
Try snowboarding in the morning on day 1 before afternoon lessons, I mean, how hard can it be.

Break arm in 3 places. Get arm put in plaster.

Take stupid snowboard back to hire shop. Swap for skis. Decline needing poles as arm is in plaster and a sling.

Down a couple of Stellas and ski the week instead.

Circa 1998
snow conditions
massistar wrote:
Master the button tow on your snowboard but not completely. Be sure to fall off 3/4 of the way up the longest one in resort and have a wee cry as you have to walk up the remaining near vertical kilometre.

That reminds me of another great tip…

If you fall off a button lift (or a t-bar, thanks Stuart), always walk up to the top of the slope instead of skiing/boarding down to the bottom to catch it again wink Very Happy
ski holidays
Duck under the black / yellow piste closed tape at the top of La Face in Val d’Isere…. 8ft deep moguls
latest report
Timmycb5 wrote:
massistar wrote:

That reminds me of another great tip…

If you fall off a button lift (or a t-bar, thanks Stuart), always walk up to the top of the slope instead of skiing/boarding down to the bottom to catch it again wink Very Happy

Ugh. The dreaded T-bar. I swear I still have bruising on my inner thighs from learning in Scotland circa 1995.
ski holidays
If on a snowboard on a really steep drag lift that has stopped remember to step off the snowboard to make some adjustments and let it slide away from you down the track rapidly picking up speed and endangering others on drag lift below you.

(I saw this happen, I was the first person below the snowboarder and as it passed just to the side of me I stuck the handle of my inverted ski pole out to stop it. It was successful in stopping the snowboard (albeit at the cost of a noticeable chunk taken out of the handle). If it had picked up more speed it could have caused a really nasty accident).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Buy a cheap ski coat in the UK, thinking you have a right bargain! Laughing I looked fantastic on the slopes in Alpe d'Huez, the sun was out and it was warm; I was skiing like a demon! Late afternoon and outside the first bar, I took my coat off and from both sleeves water (condensed body heat) poured out!!! Clearly it was cheap for reason!

I then had to buy a coat in Alpe d'Huez as a replacement - quids in rolling eyes Shocked
latest report
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I knew you lot wouldn't let me down.

My first tip: Get adjustable ski poles and make one longer than the other. This allows you to pole across a steep slope like it's on the flat. Just remember to swap over poles when you change direction.

When skiing moguls, it's important to plant the Short Pole on the top of the bump and the Long Pole in the trough.
snow conditions
My history with T bars, the memory of Kitzbuhel where I ended up clinging to one with both arms is still vivid nearly 20 years on! Laughing
ski holidays
If you’re tall and heavy, make sure you get on the t-bar lift with the biggest fella you can find. Then watch as the rope snaps and the two of you stand there with the broken t-bar under your back bottoms.
latest report
Whoa. I didn’t type back bottoms. Auto correct for slightly rude words?
snow report
I’m 6’2” and for some reason, the T Bar lift area turns into the land of 5’6” whenever I arrive, every time! Puzzled

I’m a lot better with them now and have learned to use them by myself but those early days were basically me making a spectacle of myself!
ski holidays
Ensure maximum attention from the lifties by stowing your listpass in a back trouser pocket, allowing you to twerk provocatively at the pass sensor when entering the lift area.
latest report
If, like many, you suffer from a streaming nose in the cold weather, insert a tampon up each nostril. Not only does this solve the problem; but you can also floss your teeth after a cake stop.
snow report
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:
If you’re tall and heavy, make sure you get on the t-bar lift with the biggest fella you can find. Then watch as the rope snaps and the two of you stand there with the broken t-bar under your back bottoms.

That incident has gone down in the annals of snowHeads history! Laughing
ski holidays
Awdbugga wrote:
If, like many, you suffer from a streaming nose in the cold weather, insert a tampon up each nostril. Not only does this solve the problem; but you can also floss your teeth after a cake stop.
Laughing
latest report
If you fall off, Always grab the tbar and Cling onto it by putting the bar across your chest and under your armpits. Only do it on a lift you’ve never been on before. That way you may get the added thrill of seeing the dismount mound ahead of you and have to make the decision whether to let go or cling on and go up over the mound (T9 in trysil works for this). Decide to cling on and avoid said mound (letting go would be too sensible) and the watch the look on everyone else’s face. It’s probably not admiration!!
snow conditions
RichardB wrote:
I’m 6’2” and for some reason, the T Bar lift area turns into the land of 5’6” whenever I arrive, every time! Puzzled

I’m a lot better with them now and have learned to use them by myself but those early days were basically me making a spectacle of myself!

I'm also 6'2", my daughter is a 5ft snowboarder. Try that combo on a T bar. Confused
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy