Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reluctant new skiier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Firstly, don't worry! Two lessons indoors isn't nearly enough to learn how to do it for most normal mortals. And if you haven't learnt how to do it, you're not really in a position yet to know whether you really enjoy doing it snowHead
Adding a single private lesson in resort to that almost certainly isn't enough either. Even people that have learned to ski to a recreational standard indoors would normally benefit from a lesson/lessons in resort just to adapt to the different environment / different lifts etc.

I'd echo what others have said that a week (or most of a week) of group lessons may be a better fit than a single private for someone at your stage. As well as being a good social experience and offering peer support (and with a head start you're unlikely to be the worst in the group Wink ). As someone who's done a couple of lessons indoors going into a beginner group you may spend the first day going over things you've already done, but that's far from wasted time as practicing those fundamental things and taking time to get more confident on skis will really solidify what you're already learned and give you a solid platform to build on.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can only echo what nearly everyone has said - glad you've decided on group lessons. Be VERY wary of skiing with others in the group in the afternoons. It's difficult for people who have been skiing for years to put themselves in the place of a beginner who is not an instant success.

If your partner REALLY wants you to do winter sports together, suggest to them that you both learn snowboarding together. That'll wipe the superior smile off their face.....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999 wrote:

FWIW I used (about 10 years ago now!) to be a ski instructor in Saalbach, for Fürstauer ski school. IMO Saalbach is one of the best resorts to learn to ski for the first time - the nursery slopes at Kohlmais are pretty much perfect, longer than the nursery slopes in many other resorts, and with straightforward progression to longer slopes of the same difficulty/easiness up above. Plus Bauers Ski Alm is at the bottom of the slope for a beer afterwards! I taught a few groups from complete beginners, who by the end of the week were able to enjoyably ski top-to-bottom on blue runs, get to different huts for lunch, and feel like they were exploring/getting around the mountain a bit.

I would also recommend to skip the private lesson and jump straight into group lessons. Half day if you have to, but tbh full day would be better. I would not recommend going with your partner/family too soon... Most skiers really have no idea how to look at terrain through a beginners eyes or how to choose appropriate terrain. Give yourself 3-4 days of lessons first. And when you do, try to avoid even imaginary pressure to keep up as it's neither realistic nor fair on you. They won't be expecting you to be able to either!

Not sure which ski school you are currently booked with, but there were a couple of other British ski instructors at Fürstauer when I was there. The majority were Dutch and Danish though, but all (literally all) so fluent in English that IMO it's just not a problem you even need to consider (apparently in France that may be a different matter).

And I wouldn't worry about not having enjoyed skiing in a dome much either. It's a big fridge, not exactly the most inspiring place. Saalbach is beautiful, the atmosphere is very friendly, the slopes aren't intimidating, and the beer tastes even better in the fresh mountain air.

And remember to enjoy! Not just the mountains, but the learning process to. It's good for all of us to start something from the complete beginning once in a while.

IMHO this is absolutely fantastic advice
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

IMO Saalbach is one of the best resorts to learn to ski for the first time - the nursery slopes at Kohlmais are pretty much perfect, longer than the nursery slopes in many other resorts, and with straightforward progression to longer slopes of the same difficulty/easiness up above. Plus Bauers Ski Alm is at the bottom of the slope for a beer afterwards!

If you’re based in Saalbach (rather than Hinterglemm), you will also find the top half of the Bernkogel absolutely perfect for practising. It’s basically a good-sized plateau with nothing too challenging for a beginner, two decent mountain restaurants for breaks and lunch, and you can ride the gondola down the more difficult lower half of the mountain.
In Clarky’s instructing days in Saalbach, there would have been a pair of off-putting T-bar drag lifts to take you from the top of the gondola to the top of the Bernkogel, but these have now been replaced by a comfortable, fast chairlift, thus creating a perfect training area for beginners and early intermediates.
The Turmwiese/Kohlmais nursery slopes down in the village are also enhanced by the comfort and convenience of a modern chairlift, so there are no longer any of the dreaded (by some) T-bars.
You will have booked tuition with Furstauer, as that is the only ski school in Saalbach now offering group lessons. It’s a good ski school, but if at any stage you feel you would benefit from a private lesson, let me know. I know some excellent British instructors who would be glad to help.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JK1993, Saalbach is great, and lovely, have a great snow holiday and hopefully enjoy your group lessons! snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@JK1993, I love skiing but find skiing inside in a snowdome a miserable experience. Kind of like comparing a hideously overcrowded public swimming pool with a beautiful beach or lake for swimming. I can well imagine that had I started in a snow dome I might well have not seen the point and come to the conclusion it was not for me. Even on the mountain it took me a couple of goes (weeks) to get the bug. Group lessons in the mountains sounds like the way to go.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy