Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ideas for self catering meals

Poster: A snowHead
I think my most common go-to dish on holiday is ratatouille, it can be eaten hot or cold with so many things.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hurtle wrote:
I've never before heard of hot food being served on a bed of dressed salad.

Never had a döner kebab?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hurtle,
Quote:

It's a lovely contrast to something like Carbonara
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Raclette, Fondue, Tartiflette - repeat
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gixxerniknik wrote:
@Hurtle,
Quote:

Absolutely, and I'd eat them together but, for no particularly good reason, side by side and not one on top of the other. Sorry, just musing...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@euanovsky, I take you are fond of cheese
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@johnE, did someone mention cheese? Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle wrote:
gixxerniknik wrote:
@Hurtle,
Quote:

Absolutely, and I'd eat them together but, for no particularly good reason, side by side and not one on top of the other. Sorry, just musing...

Totally agree..hot soggy lettuce. Yuk
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MMmmm, cheese. Yes, some nice French ones, the local one around here is Abondance which comes in a couple of varieties, with more or less tanginess. BUT there is not a single French cheese that has the texture and flavour of British hard cheeses, exemplified by but by no means restricted to Cheddar.

It used to be quite a rarity to find in French or Swiss supermarkets, but nowadays it's pretty much everywhere, with some like Intermarché doing their own brand stuff, really quite acceptable, and others stocking brands like Cathedral City. Sadly there's also some quite poor orange cheddar often to be found in E.leClerc and others, which is much more plasticky and reminiscent of the awful pre-sliced stuff often found on cheeseburgers.

The best that we can regularly get is actually from Lidl, usually on the Swiss side. They have an everyday branded Mature and Farmhouse cheddar and a few times per year their 'Delux' brand, proper Vintage mature included, which is even better.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hell no-carbonara on top of salad is not an option.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Chaletbeauroc, I'm probably the child of Satan...I like plasticky burger cheese Embarassed
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@holidayloverxx, The only place for plasticky burger cheese is in a sausage and egg McMuffin. It is the food of the devil, but I can't resist it. I only admit to this while hiding behind an anonymous profile name though!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gixxerniknik wrote:
@Hurtle,
Quote:

So I initially took this to mean a contrast in the sense of carbonara one night and hot food on salad another. But now it seems you might actually have meant carbonara on top of a bed of presumably by now warm, limp, soggy lettuce. For which I have no words. I’m here for hot food on salad leaves. But with carbonara? For the love of all that is holy, please serve the salad alongside or (preferably) afterwards (ideally with a meat course between them)!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Laughing Ok, I give up! Sorry, a bit of clarification...I did say on top of I think, but what I really do is put the lettuce around the outside of the plate with the carbonara, or whatever in the middle. Hot soggy Lettuce! Oh dear! NehNeh

Anyway, the point is it's really easy to rustle up some great meals without much thinking or work involved.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Weird. Why would anyone put salad leaves around a plate of carbonara? Why not just put the salad in a bowl where it belongs and dress properly? It is not additional work, and avoids any mixture of salad and warm cheesy egg covered pasta.

We always self-cater. Never put any thought into planning what to have for dinner other than to book restaurants for some nights out. If eating in we play it by ear based on what we see locally, and enjoy the time spent together preparing and eating dinner. All the places we have stayed have dishwashers so no need to really limit the implements used. And no need for special "effort saving" meal plans.
snow report
Yes, but a little planning helps and some things can be very expensive in resort.

Agree on the salad being in a separate bowl though!
snow report
Quote:

Why would anyone put salad leaves around a plate of carbonara? Why not just put the salad in a bowl where it belongs and dress properly? It is not additional work, and avoids any mixture of salad and warm cheesy egg covered pasta.

One less plate/bowl to wash up?
latest report
@zikomo, we do similar now, but when we flew with younger kids we tended to have more of a plan, particularly if we didn't know the resort well, and thought supermarket options and catering facilties might be limited. We might only have had 2 rings, but we've always had a dishwasher. My main eating plans on ski trips tend to be if we are on an End of Season bash, as we tend to eat in with the other apartment occupiers, friends from other apartments and family if they have come with us. It's not a competition, but we all eat well. I once couldn't find any mint for mojitos. wink.
snow report
jmr59 wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

Never had a döner kebab?

Chinese stir fry?
ski holidays
@hobbiteater, which is all hot.
snow report
euanovsky wrote:
Raclette, Fondue, Tartiflette - repeat

Sounds a painful strain when dropping the kids off at the pool
snow report
Fun topic. I’d agree about a sharp smallish knife as most times the self catering ones are trashed.
As to meal I take a jar of pataks paste, carefully wrapped in several bags of course, along with a some ground spices and do Ainslie fast fragrant curry (will have to search a bit for the recipe) but very easy and can be oven or stove top. Forget trying to find anything hot in a French supermarket. Curry and beer after a good day on the slopes is close to perfection in my book.
snow report
Some friends who drive usually take a slow cooker with them, which means they can do a chilli or similar and it is all ready and waiting for them on their return!
ski holidays
@eps, We have a slow cooker in our apartment. They are fantastic for preparing meals. In the morning put in some onions, mushrooms, cubed beef and a bottle of red wine. Come back in the evening, add some seasoning, cook some potatoes, and greens and it's all done. And the apartment smells lovely
snow report
Or chicken breasts or lamb
snow report
the last couple of times i have driven out, i have taken a slow cooker with me, along with some frozen stews etc. i then just whack the food in the slow cooker in the morning on a low temperature for later in the evening.
will be doing the same this easter
latest report
Pizza has gone down well this trip. We buy the base in cold dough rolled out in a square, buy the pizza sauce, cheese ans toppings.

Works best when you have a decent oven but can cut to smaller size for mini oven.

Also Rosti (read made type) with fried eggs and baked beans or raclette cheese for the grown ups
ski holidays
We are driving and taking a mini toastie maker. Local meat and cheeses, optional onions, perfect.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@No Style, Take a slow cooker. Prep the evening before. Switch on in the morning. Return home with fresh Baguettes.
latest report
johnE wrote:
Or chicken thighs or lamb

FTFY
snow report
We always take a Tupperware box with various spices, seasoning and herbs etc from home.
latest report
@jmr59, Indeed. For some reason Pork doesn't work as well. That needs cider, not wine.

Reading this thread I'm already planning the meals for the trip at the end of the month. And really loooking forward to it. For a lot more effort and shopping we have also got a pierrade in our apartment. They can be rented in most resorts.

I'm also looking forward to my mouth watering experience at the fish counter in the Super U in Bourg st Maurice
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy