Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Never having done a package holiday before I was wondering...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Layne, yeah, tongue in cheek but you know what I mean eh? We’ve all learned the hard way eh?!

Tarquin and Phoebe normally turn out OK and you end up sitting next table to them at breakfast….. Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Markymark29, yes, I know exactly what you mean.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Markymark29, and first morning at breakfast you say to your other half, “Ah no, we’re sat next to those numpties.” Before feeling bad once you get to know them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Markymark29, That made me laugh! But I think I would prefer to wait than have to drag 2 cases, ski bag, snowboard bag plus hand luggage while trying to navigate trains etc.
As its January - I'm hoping it will be fairly quiet and painless.
But I will return and let you know my thoughts!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dippy, Enjoy Zurs, its am awesome place to be, right in the centre of the skiing, and high so gets all the weather, good and bad. If you are able book HusNr8 restaurant in Lech one night, love it - highly recommended, well before you go, it gets busy, its fab. Taxi to/ from Zurs.

@hammerite, Ha, surely not?!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
One catered chalet holiday in Val Thoren iirc there was half a dozen of us and half a dozen in another group. They were constantly very loud and boisterous at the dinner table. I think halfway through the third evening for some reason the conversation just dived and everything went quiet for a minute or so. At which point I said "I think I've gone deaf" - my mate was in stitches and still reminds me of the story whenever we talk about the old days.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My facebook memories has reminded me that 5 years ago I was at the top of mountain skiing pre-noon, having woken up in in my own bed in the UK. It wasn't a package holiday needless to say.

Early flight, met by accommodation host with any rental equipment we needed, 15 minute transfer to resort and 10 minute gondala up to the snow.

For DIY long weekend trips getting the extra afternoon makes a big difference, finding shortish transfers and early out late back flights. For a weeks trip less important. For such as half term week in the past I've done the "fly the evening before and stay at airport" wheeze for weeks trip. Then you get into resort early on "changeover day" when the slopes are quiet, plus your flight cost was cheaper.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Think pretty much all Europe packages I've done has been multiple stops and for some reason I'm usually at the last hotel. Sat in airport waiting for everyone to turn up for the coach is common. Hours on the road when a car would do it in a fraction of the time (without speeding).

Only trip I've had a chance of skiing that day was Eurostar overnight. That was back in party-train days though, so zero sleep. Early to Moutiers and then bus to Meribel, then to apartment rental place to check-in but wasn't able to get the place until afternoon. Once sorted out there wasn't much time to do anything and late season so sticking local with Meribel was pointless as it was just slush down there. However Eurostar does get you a final day and back on overnight train so an extra day. That said it's possible to get a late flight also. Either option requires storing luggage on check-out while on the slopes and a shower somewhere.

Edit - looks like train back is daytime now though and can only book via Travelski package (train + accommodation etc) for the direct train ?

Further thought, as it's a package thing now, maybe it's easier to get luggage stored on arrival, go ski and then get accommodation if they've got that process sorted. Before I recalled it was dependent on early check-in or finding somewhere that would store luggage for the day.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 30-01-22 21:07; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gave up on packages many years ago.

Last full package involved leaving at midnight for a 6am flight from Gatwick which was delayed by many hours, can't remember how long now. We ended up with an extremely p****d of French coach driver who was already out of hours when we left Geneva for L2A driving like an idiot. Scariest coach ride I have ever had especially the last climb up into the resort, finally arriving after midnight. We could have driven there much quicker.

Last catered chalet holiday involved sharing with an obnoxious entitled family who consumed the whole of my wife's specially prepared birthday cake before we had even seen it. Did they apologise? No. So never again.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
When we were going to Söll on the early BHX flight we used to routinely manage to get up the mountain on arrival day - even if only for the “free” last hour (if you had a lift pass for the following day, you could go up from approx 3pm). More recently on package trips we got there so early it was worth buying half-day passes….
It depends on your flight, transfer and how much of your own kit you have.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We did TO for the first time this year, early flight from Gatwick to Turin, timing’s suggested an easy option to ski the afternoon. Packed accordingly, so easy access to boots, gloves, ski trousers etc
Waited longer than expected for coach at Turin…. However transfer was smooth, arrived at drop off in Cervinia, warned on coach beforehand that minibus could only take 8 initially out of 10 for our hotel…..we were in the initial 8. Hotel check in was smooth, possibly helped by being recognised from previous independent trips.
Ski hire quick and easy, from lady we had previously used, 1/2 day ski passes took a little time, Russians ahead of us seemed to have many questions?
But we were skiing by 13.30….result, but I think you need to be single minded and maybe even a little selfish
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy