Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UCPA / beginner level - advice needed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello lovely people - I'm a newbie here (and also in skiing) so please apologies if my questions are strange.

Background: I have tried skiing for 5 days back in the days, perhaps 10 years ago (and couldn't do because of the job that requires me to be on the duty between Dec and May) and am now considering a ski-trip with UCPA due to affordability. I've googled the matter and also researched this forum, but still got some queries.

Inputs:
(a) 33yo, almost beginner, interested in one full week of ski instruction, no French knowledge (other than 40-50 common phrases), i'm quite neutral to party opportunities, never done UCPA before
(b) limited to a week starting 12 March 2022, not too much worried about the food variety or housing qualities, the main goal is to get decent learning experience
(c) will be flying out from London, so would be interested in a resort that I could reach without too much hassle
(d) snow availability probability is obviously quite vital

Questions:
(i) Which resort do you think would suit my needs best? I am leaning towards Flaine (good accessibility from Geneva, great slopes, mediocre housing) or Deux Alpes (great proximity to Grenoble with direct flight from London, availability of green and blue pistes), Tignes (great resort overall as far as i understand, located at high altitude which promises snow but quite far from to commute).
(ii) Which resort has got the probability of running out of snow for the week i need (ie 12 Mar)?
(iii) Do you think I need to book now or just a week before the trip? I am slightly concerned about the C-19 restrictions and would prefer to pause rather than deal with cancellations.

Many thanks in advance for your time, any piece of evidence is highly appreciated.

If anyone wants to join me to share a twin room - please give me a shout.

Mikhael
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mihail439, Welcome to Snowheads!

The UK booking agent is Action Outdoors. They're really helpful so I'd give them a call and you'll get answers from the horse's mouth.

"All Inclusive Ski & Activity Holidays - Action Outdoors" https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Which resort do you think would suit my needs best? I am leaning towards Flaine

Good choice for a beginner.

Welcome to snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any of them should be OK provided they have beginner level instruction because your instructor will take you to the right places. I think you'll find the food fine - my daughter and son in law (absolutely non French speakers, but could ski) enjoyed Flaine. They are both teachers and she did tell off some very rowdy drunk British girls one night because they were making a shocking din in the corridor at 2 am. They said most people were perfectly civilized and well behaved, and even though my daughter was a vegetarian (she's recovered now) and quite a fussy eater, she was OK with the food. They went on an Action Outdoors coach which was a series of disasters (the first being when one of the drivers made a bolt for freedom from the security area of Eurotunnel). But that was bad luck! Speaking to Action Outdoors is a good idea.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't think there are any twins left now. I have a twin booked for 19 - 26 Mar at Argentiere. It's a nice centre good food and mostly english speaking (this can be group dependant though) It looks like my mate is pulling out so if interested PM me and I can give you the lowdown.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy