Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow sure nursery slops in April

Poster: A snowHead
Hi!

I've been doing many many researches and reading lots of post on here already. Just want to ask some advice from personal experience. Much appreciated~!

I'm taking my little one (5 year old) to ski on first week of April. She has done a few lessons in the indoor slope but probably will probably be staying on the nursery slope/magic carpet still.

Usually when we discuss about the late-season snow-sure resort the main focus was on higher part of the resort and whether it has glaciers.
However I want to see which late season resort has the best layout in terms of:
-close proximity of ski schools,
-snow sure nursery slopes,
-Good set up of kids ski schoo.
-enough easy/fun runs close to resort.

I've been looking at Obergurgle, Tignes, VT, Avoriaz, La Plange and I've been to some of them personally. But not sure which one are the best for what I need.

If anyone can share the views or similar experiences that would be great!
thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would definitely avoid Plagne 1800 and Soleil. Once they progress past the magic carpet, it's a bit of a nightmare to reach any other suitable slopes. Although Soleil has a small rope drag that goes up a small slope which is nice. After that, it's skiing fairly busy blue runs or a bus to Centre.

Alpe D'Huez is a nice set up. Ski school at the bottom of the bowl (on the Bergerie end at least) Easy to get to and easy for you to get up the mountain for a ski whilst they are in ski school. The whole bowl is south facing though so may be slightly chancey. We went 2018 which was year of "Beast from the East" so had absolutely loads of snow thar Easter. To the point when there was several inches overnight before we had to get the transfer bus down the really steep 21 hairpin bend road back to the airport. I'm v glad it was dark and I was still half asleep!

Tignes Le Lac also good for nursery slope access. There's a magic carpet then an easily accessible chair to a nice easy blue. And a bubble right next to it which will take you up the mountain. To get back to le lac though you take the bubble back down or ski the (relatively easy) black down. Can't 100% remember the Val Claret set up though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
VT has a good setup for for kids.. ski school down a gentle run down (depending on where you're staying of course), then a series of magic carpets back up. Your 5 YO would have some fun going down and up the magic carpets I'd say. My two certainly did at that age.

We've taken our kids numerous times to Tignes, it's a huge ski area, so the kids won't see the benefit really - we've switched taking ours to L2A as it's smaller, a bit cheaper and the transfer is short too. I dont know what its like in April though.. VT is high enough that you'll have plenty of options - not sure when the family bash runs typically, I've never been on one but AFAIK its in VT as well.... so that should speak some volumes Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For Austria Ischgl has a great setup. The kids area with magic carpet and plenty of other gentle nursery slopes, all in close proximity, are located by the Idalp, at 2300m (Ski school meeting points also located there). Two of the three gondolas from the village go directly to Idalp, which acts as a central hub for the whole Ski area and is quite easy to get back to from most locations.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wagrain in Austria has their nursery slopes at the top of the Graffenberg Bubble lift. Great meeting point and really good set up. Plus, it's easy for Mum and Dad to ski off from there to explore the area. Within a couple of days your 5 yr old should be up to skiing back to the resort, if not, just come down in the bubble.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
1st week of April the lovely protected nursery slopes at the churchside of Lech should be fine, and in the unlikely case they’re not, the equally great kidsarea in Oberlech will definitely be excellent
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would recommend Montgenevre and stay at Le Napoleon which is just across the road from the foot of the slopes and ski school meeting point. There are good nursery runs right there and there are lots of easy runs to move on to. The ski schools are very good (ESF and Apeak). My daughter skied in Montgenevre at that time of year when she was 5 and loved it. We've been back several times since.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@TonyFxxx, @SatsumasRock, the relatively easy black is trolles...... its easy right up to the last 200m pitch where it becomes pretty much the steepest pitch in espace killy Laughing not where you would want to take a 5 year old.....

there are some other bits but i would avoid tignes to start with as although high the nursery set up is not really set up for it, its ok for proper beginners but i would go le lac.... theres a drag, a magic carpet and two small chairlifts all free but after that are no greens really on the tignes side, i just got back from there pre xmas teaching my 5 year old and i am a massive fan of tignes..... could you stretch the budget to val d'isere?..... very good for beginners and kids with the free slopes in the centre and the solaise bits when they progress..... you could do tignes 1800 and theres the kalinda accommodation and its got its own little nursery slope and theres a nice easy ski in to brevierres when they are ready
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@TonyFxxx, take her to Yllas or Levi in Finland. With Inghams you could take her on a reindeer safari too. And it is, afterall, Lapland. It would be magic for her.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ajc2260626, I wasn't suggesting flinging a five year old down the black run! Am not that lax a parent Laughing Thought possibly the parents of the 5 year old might enjoy it!

I took my 8 year old down it 2019. Last run of the holiday after much badgering by said 8 year old. Figured if it was going to end in tears it might as well be the last run! Didn't realise it was going to be the last run for 3 years Crying or Very sad . Would have done it twice at least had I known!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@SatsumasRock, Very Happy one of my favourite quick runs especially if you drop into grizzly to start with….
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We were in VT a couple of years back, stayed at the Montana apartments which are literally on the nursery slopes, my then 6 year old had a ball and got amazing lessons with New Generation who were brilliant.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
La Tania might be a cheaper interesting option , although low has north facing nursey area with two new magic lifts, as well as a gondola to get her higher up if needed and a green or blue down.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you are booking into ski school then the instructor will always know where the appropriate slopes are.

Basically do the research on the ski schools in a couple of resorts then find accommodation close to the meet up point.

Even a child of 5 will progress surprisingly quickly and mine always loved the slush so don't assume your little one will stay on a diddy slope for too long.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can I throw in Isola 2000? Very long, very safe nursery slopes, and low level true blues (simple, not steep an very wide) many many little people learning to ski here at Piou Piou ski nursery club. Quick flight to Nice. Ski bus from airport takes just over an hour and a half (so not too far a transfer with a little one). Snowsure at 2000m high. Very pretty (apart from original ugly building) but, very pretty in terms of trees, etc. Not expensive and uncrowded pistes. I taught (and had my children learn here) my children to ski here. It’s not a place people usually consider, but it does fit your bill completely. Also, in April, the little chamois and other animals come out of hibernation and you do see them from time to time, which is a fun experience for tinies.
latest report
snowymum wrote:
I would recommend Montgenevre and stay at Le Napoleon which is just across the road from the foot of the slopes and ski school meeting point. There are good nursery runs right there and there are lots of easy runs to move on to. The ski schools are very good (ESF and Apeak). My daughter skied in Montgenevre at that time of year when she was 5 and loved it. We've been back several times since.

Actually, totally agree re Montgenevre. It is lovely and ideal for beginners. But whether it would still have much snow in April is possibly debatable and the nursery slopes are at the bottom, and this is a village resort.
snow conditions
Kimski44 wrote:
snowymum wrote:

Actually, totally agree re Montgenevre. It is lovely and ideal for beginners. But whether it would still have much snow in April is possibly debatable and the nursery slopes are at the bottom, and this is a village resort.

It's a pretty high resort and would generally be reliable for snow in April, though April is a month where the snow conditions often change dramatically through the month and I guess the reliability will fall off a bit as the month progresses.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy