Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shortest half term queues from Geneva?

Poster: A snowHead
I know there have been threads on this in previous years, but covid may have changed the game somewhat.

We've got flights into Geneva at half term, nothing else booked yet. Where would people go to avoid insane queues and crammed pistes? We're not loaded, but willing to pay slightly more for a better experience. Two adults, two under ten but good skiers.

I love Flaine, but I've heard it's queue central at half term. Same with Avoriaz. Will this be different this year with people staying home, or worse than ever?

Some good deals in Chatel.

Grindelwald is tempting, but looks like a more lengthy transfer.

Recommendations that aren't 'go another week' or 'fly to Austria' very welcome.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have done several half terms in Monterosa, it got a bit busier at the weekend but was really quiet during the week, suspect elsewhere in the Aosta valley would be similar.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nowhere in France (French school hols). I'd drive through to the Aosta Valley, as @rjs suggests, and research the options there. It's not that far. Or perhaps someone will come up with a good Swiss suggestion.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Val d’anniviers - Grinentz or Zinal
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
St Luc in Val D'Anniviers is a good option. We have been several half terms. A little bit different, not a huge area and some long drag lifts but generally not too crowded and some great long pistes. Off-piste can also be exceptional if that is your thing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tccambs wrote:
I know there have been threads on this in previous years, but covid may have changed the game somewhat.

We've got flights into Geneva at half term, nothing else booked yet. Where would people go to avoid insane queues and crammed pistes? We're not loaded, but willing to pay slightly more for a better experience. Two adults, two under ten but good skiers.

I love Flaine, but I've heard it's queue central at half term. Same with Avoriaz. Will this be different this year with people staying home, or worse than ever?

Some good deals in Chatel.

Grindelwald is tempting, but looks like a more lengthy transfer.

Recommendations that aren't 'go another week' or 'fly to Austria' very welcome.

Châtel queues are fine at half-term - other than a couple of lifts that link to / from Avoriaz and the Linga bubble which can be avoided as the area is vast. The crowds tend to disperse following the usual rush for lessons etc. Early worm gets the best car parking if you choose to drive to Pre La Joux start the day but there is an efficient bus service.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 15-01-22 9:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Which week?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Which week?

12th - 19th. I think it's the week before Paris.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjs wrote:
I have done several half terms in Monterosa, it got a bit busier at the weekend but was really quiet during the week, suspect elsewhere in the Aosta valley would be similar.

My 9yo broke her leg in Gressoney a few years ago, so I think Monterosa is out. It's also a long transfer to self organise - not at all keen to hire a car.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
zikomo wrote:
St Luc in Val D'Anniviers is a good option. We have been several half terms. A little bit different, not a huge area and some long drag lifts but generally not too crowded and some great long pistes. Off-piste can also be exceptional if that is your thing.

Interesting option. Would hiring a car be required or are there good links between the villages?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tccambs wrote:
zikomo wrote:

Interesting option. Would hiring a car be required or are there good links between the villages?

Better linked if you stay in Grimentz or Zinal
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BobinCH, Except Grimantz gets pretty busy now.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tccambs wrote:
rjs wrote:

My 9yo broke her leg in Gressoney a few years ago, so I think Monterosa is out. It's also a long transfer to self organise - not at all keen to hire a car.

No - it is a short transfer to Monterosa (2 hours or so).

There is a shuttle from Milan and Turin at the weekends:

https://www.visitmonterosa.com/en/discover-monterosa/monterosa-shuttle/

And you could also do a private transfer (about €200 - €300 each way)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ozboy wrote:

Châtel queues are fine at half-term - other than a couple of lifts that link to / from Avoriaz and the Linga bubble which can be avoided as the area is vast. The crowds tend to disperse following the usual rush for lessons etc. Early worm gets the best car parking if you choose to drive to Pre La Joux start the day but there is an efficient bus service.

Thanks for the reassurance. I've bitten the bullet and booked an apartment by the ski lift in Chatel.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@tccambs, tbh, queuing is not as bad as it used to be, like, 30 years ago. Fast lifts, etc.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@tccambs, tbh, queuing is not as bad as it used to be, like, 30 years ago. Fast lifts, etc.

It's partly the boredom, but it's mainly the stress of queueing amongst pushing adults when you have a 7yo and 9yo in tow.
ski holidays
Quote:

the stress of queueing amongst pushing adults when you have a 7yo and 9yo in tow.

Agreed - it's miserable. Faster uplift just leads to busier pistes, though. If I could only have skied with my kids at half term, I doubt we'd ever have got started. Easter, if you pick the right resort, is infinitely preferable.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy