Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gap jumpers?

Poster: A snowHead
Any breakneck snowHeads not into ski touring à la davidof could always try out this 'illegal' pastime (of jumping over roads via some pretty high banked snow) shortly after the cols reopen.

Should be a load of snow up on the Petit Saint Bernard Pass at the moment - think it's scheduled to open week 23 (June 11th? Not sure about the exact date).

Gap jumping PsB June 2004 - Click on pic for bigger image - note car bottom right.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PG, how long each year does the col remain open
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From the Savoie transport dept site, Savoie cols only, these are the provisional timings subject to weather etc..

Col de l’Iseran
Alt. 2770 m
Week N°24 à 41

Col du Galibier
Alt. 2645 m
Week N°23 à 43

Col du Petit St Bernard
Alt. 2188 m
Week N°23 à 45

Col du Mont Cenis
Alt. 2080 m
Week N°19 à 47

Col de la Croix de Fer
Alt. 2068 m
Week N°21 à 44

Col de la Madeleine
Alt. 1984 m
Week N°22 à 43

Cormet de Roselend
Alt. 1968 m
Week N°21 à 45

Col du Glandon
Alt. 1924 m
Week N°22 à 45
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
the melt down here has been really really quick. normally there is a jump the galibier that takes place around this time of year, they had to cancell it due to the snow melting to quick and not being able to reorganise everything.

i drove up the galibier and there isn't enough snow to gap a road
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG, A similar 'Gap Jump' launching pad exists at La Plagne Bellcote. Earlier this season in, a skier descended a rather fast, off-piste gully, which normally ended near the new Arpette chair, via a bridge. Regretably, some miscreant removed the bridge this season, leaving the bridge embankment, complete with snow cover. One had to be actually skiing on the embankment to observe that the bridge had been stolen. Refusal a this critical point was not an option. The said skier completed the most impressive & fabulous jump over the road utilising manic armwaving, shouts, impossible leg movements and possibly a bowel movement. The landing, touch down, thump down, 'arrival' probably the best description, however was not of the same calibre.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BernardC, Shocked did "said skier" whip out his carte neige and read the small print while sailing through the air? Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You certainly need some balls to do this sort of thing (and youth, and intact knees...)

To give more idea of the heights involved...
(Click on pics for full scale)

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I thought this was going to be about those fleeces from GAP that everyone has..... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry to be a "wet blanket, but I remember about 6 years ago the young lad at Whistler who died gap-jumping a road.
Ah yes, Google reveals that his name was Brett Carlson. He's mentioned in this somewhat sick article (scroll down):
http://www.skiingmag.com/skiing/feature/article/0,12910,329006,00.html
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Martin Bell, hmmm - they haven't mentioned some of the really revolting accidents fortunately - and no - I'm not going to elucidate!!

Many years ago one of the Cairdsport instructors proposed to "gap" the access road and jump over the Cairdie minibus for a brochure pic. Eventually the bosses decided it was too dangerous - he did the jump anyway, just to prove it could be done. (BTW that's in Aviemore in case you're not sure)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG, I also know a young Daniel, from Dublin who does 'house clearances'......... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Now then Mr Bell, I just happened upon your website and this picture Wink

Martin Bell wrote:
Sorry to be a "wet blanket, but I remember about 6 years ago the young lad at Whistler who died gap-jumping a road.
Ah yes, Google reveals that his name was Brett Carlson. He's mentioned in this somewhat sick article (scroll down):
http://www.skiingmag.com/skiing/feature/article/0,12910,329006,00.html
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What a coincidence, was just looking at that pic - entitled "barn gap jumping (Pila Italy)". Think I would rather hit a bank of snow on the far side, than a stone wall! Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gregh, He's definitely 'barny'....... Shocked I wonder if it was a jump from Barn A to Barn B, or just 'over the barn'?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Embarassed yes, perhaps I'm not the best person to pontificate about taking risks! Still, that barn gap was only about 10 feet - with enough speed, there is no danger at all of not clearing the gap. During that same shoot, by the way, my mate Tim Fawke did the same jump and his shot ended up here:
http://www.snowsportengland.org.uk/phpnuke/html/data/nuke_data/wall/CAL/S02.jpg
(that shot is from the side rather than below, and flipped.)
ski holidays
Lol, cheers Martin for taking it in good spirit!! Is Tim pointing at his pint or something else more interesting to look at Wink

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
"I really hope I'm gonna land (points) just there."
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy