Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Collecting from GVA, Sorry for another thread

Poster: A snowHead
I have tried to make sense of it with searches, honest...

We're in 3V on the 22nd, and the daughter cannot pass up free accom so is coming over via GVA.

I will need a vignette- collectable on the way in, I get that (don't know my way round enough to do the back roads...). But for a collect and go at the airport, what are the hoops/tests/declarations etc.

Thanks.

CG
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just a thought: is there an option for your daughter to get the train into France, to somewhere nearer to your accommodation? With you doing more like a short taxi transfer from the most convenient nearby station. And if she's delayed, you're not hanging-around the airport. Plus it's easier for you logistically, of course.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are there "ride share" app's at all that allow spare seats to be filled?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@LaForet, Just been mulling that one. I was thinking of maybe the first stop inside France... Or a taxi to the border. Like a cold war fillum! Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@FrediKanoute, No clue, sadly.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
there is a train station under Geneva airport. All trains go first to geneva train station. Frequent trains from there to Annemasse which is easy to get to from the french motorway and no need for vignette or worry about rules for going into switzerland
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@FrediKanoute, bla bla car ...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Charliegolf, they aren't "back" roads, they just aren't motorways.

Bus 272 runs from airport to St Julien de Genevois, direct. Pick her up there? www.tpg.ch, www.sbb.ch/en

No point being in the world's biggest integrated transport system and not using it?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, Mea culpa Very Happy I kinda meant, 'not the motorway'... The bus tip, great, thanks.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
surely it's easier to just pay for a transfer bus for her & not lose a day skiing?
loss of ski day, pay for fuel, pay for tolls.. cant be much in it?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I get family asking me to pick them up where we are and I generally ask them to try and schedule everything to at least get to the nearby train station under their own steam, and ideally the whole way by train, télépherique and/or PostBus. This because given it's the mountains it may be difficult to get out of the village if the weather's bad, to even the nearest convenient train station.

That said, I don't mind picking people up from the valley station 13 Kms away, but I'm not inclined to do the 90+ min drive to GVA if they can at get most of the way under their own steam.

The SBB timetable shows the travel time from Genève-Aéroport to Annesmasse is 32 minutes with one change, which doesn't seem that onerous.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 16-01-22 14:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Charliegolf, I have been over to CH and back a couple of times in the last 10 days and not seen anyone at the border, never mind any checks - going across the main Bardonnex border on the motorway into GVA yesterday at 20:30 there was not even a light on in the vignette office … (which is most unusual).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My 2cents, I’d favour a transfer bus to not lose a day’s skiing especially on quiet Saturdays… but second fave option would be BlaBlaCar as far as possible (regularly see GVA-Albertville on there). Failing that, train from GVA down the Annecy line and pick up from there. If happy to go all the way to St Julien en Genevois on the border then as said above the 272 or the more regular D buses with a change (Bel Air?) and pick up by the Park and Ride just past the douane. If you’re feeling really generous then you can get to GVA without a vignette travelling through St Julien and Perly and staying to the city roads, will add 20/30 mins each way, but if you aren’t a regular Swiss motorway user than saves buying a vignette.

Crossing the border wise, there’s seldom any checks (especially at Perly on a Saturday) but even if there were you won’t need testing or any other palaver to cross into Switzerland as you’re travelling to/from a border region (73), but your daughter will need to comply with the France entry rules of a sworn statement of honneur, and the 24hr LFT (which presumably she’ll have to enter GVA) and of course the Swiss PLF.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Swiss entry rules state that checks/ tests/ plf etc are not needed for those coming from Rhone Alpes. The Swiss check points are customs ones, they’re trying to catch you smuggling meat and booze.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Nadenoodlee, is that not for ARA residents (not tourists) logic being based on necessary cross border travel, not tourism?
snow conditions
@rjj501, I only suggested that bus to avoid any changes. Bel-Air is confusing at the best of times.
ski holidays
@under a new name, that may have been the intention but it isn't the application. Im a tourist and it isn't required. I’m regularly stopped at St Gingolph - ZH plates, they just want to bust me for import chfs.
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, fair enough. I suspect it's an orphaned clause from earlier that no-one's bothered to think about.
snow conditions
@under a new name, i reckon they did think about and quickly decided against the hassle of 1000s of tourists asking questions everyday Cool
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, entirely plausible, love Swiss pragmatism.
latest report
Back to the start... what would I have to do to go to the airport to collect? Finding it very hard to get a definitive instruction... Ta.
ski holidays
off motorway at St Julien, cross border at Perly, follow signs to airport. you're transiting so no test required. simples. no vignette neither.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
off motorway at St Julien, cross border at Perly, follow signs to airport. you're transiting so no test required. simples. no vignette neither.

Now you're clearly an expert, and all-knowing Snowhead. Is what you describe 'ok to do, nobody minds'; or is it a legal method of collection? I am a scaredy cat when it comes to a big fine, so excuse the double check. It would become Plan A if so. Thanks.

CG
snow conditions
Apologies @Charliegolf to ask a tangential question, but while we’re all here discussing vignettes et al ..

Coming to GVA on the 29th and French side car hire is about £100 cheaper for the week (I know, I don’t get winter tyres etc …). Can I buy a vignette in the airport, or somewhere equally convenient before I hit the motorway?
snow report
Pejoli wrote:
Apologies @Charliegolf to ask a tangential question, but while we’re all here discussing vignettes et al ..

Coming to GVA on the 29th and French side car hire is about £100 cheaper for the week (I know, I don’t get winter tyres etc …). Can I buy a vignette in the airport, or somewhere equally convenient before I hit the motorway?

Sorry, but no idea, never hired there. Someone will be along shortly who'll know though, Im sure.
ski holidays
@Pejoli I would imagine that if nowhere else, the Post Office on the way to the Car Hire desks would sell them. Their page on the Geneva Airport website is here - being a post office I imagine that their opening ours are more restricted than the shops.

Perhaps also from the Migros at the oppose end of the arrivals floor. However, I haven't gone through GVA for almost 2 years so I'll defer to anyone who has transited more recently. Also, my understanding is that the big charter flights don't necessarily come into the main terminal, but the charter terminal that's further along to the left of the diagram. If you go into France at the main border crossing, you should also be able to buy a vignette there.
latest report
Thanks (again!) @LaForet, you seem to have a diagram for every occasion ! Very Happy
ski holidays
@Charliegolf, google swiss travel check and go thru the questionnaire.

Nb transit doesn’t mean it has to be to a different country from entry.

& are you being ersey?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Charliegolf, The map showing routes not using the Autoroute is here, doesn't answer your question about whether you need a declaration..
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@Charliegolf, google swiss travel check and go thru the questionnaire.

Nb transit doesn’t mean it has to be to a different country from entry.

& are you being ersey?

Ersey? If you mean, 'Are you being arsey?', abso not- the opposite.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 16-01-22 13:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
FWIW I don't think CG was being ersey. wink
snow report
@Pejoli, If you can't get a vignette at the airport then you could go to a garage in Grand-Saconnex. From France, there is a tunnel under the runway. At the junction after the tunnel go straight on instead of turning right onto the autoroute, there are several garages on the Route de Ferney that you are now on.
snow report
@pam w, "expert" and "all knowing" - has clearly never met me Twisted Evil I think there were tongues in two cheeks there Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
@Charliegolf, I thought the irony was strong in you!
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Charliegolf, I thought the irony was strong in you!

It is, but rudeness never is. Thumbs-up
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@pam w, "expert" and "all knowing" - has clearly never met me Twisted Evil I think there were tongues in two cheeks there Laughing Laughing Laughing

I read your posts and get plenty of good info from them.
snow conditions
@Charliegolf, you are far, far too kind!
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Charliegolf, you are far, far too kind!

Yes, but Very Happy I lie like a cheap Chinese watch lol
snow report
@Charliegolf, titter
latest report
Yes, irony. You can't call somebody "all knowing" without either sarcasm or irony and I thought it was the latter..... not ersey.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy